Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They didn't exist during the time of Jesus' earthly ministry and therefore can't possibly be the gospel (Injil) mentioned in the Qur'an that was sent down to Jesus.

"Let the people of the gospel judge by what Allah hath reveled therein. If any do fail to judge (by the light of) what Allah hath revealed. They are (not better than) those who rebel." Surah 5:47

It would be irrational to ask someone to make righteous, serious and life affecting judgements from a book 6 centuries later which is known to have been corrupted and unreliable by then. Muhammud believed that our modern day gospel* was accurate and available in the 7th century and by that time we have enough manuscipt evidence to know it's the same Bible we have today.

* added later for clarity

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,643.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Let the people of the gospel judge by what Allah hath reveled therein. If any do fail to judge (by the light of) what Allah hath revealed. They are (not better than) those who rebel." Surah 5:47
Gospel singular.
Muhammud believed that the gospels were accurate and available in the 7th century and by that time we have enough manuscipt evidence to know it's the same Bible we have today.
Gospels plural.

Muhammad wasn't talking about the four gospels in our Bible because there is only one gospel (singular) in Islam.

In Islam, the Injil/Gospel was sent down and revealed only to Jesus which He then taught to the children of Israel. The 4 gospels found in the Bible were written after Jesus' earthly ministry by men; therefore, they can't possibly be the gospel that was sent down/revealed to Jesus or the one Muhammed would have been referring to in the Qur'an. Most Muslims would probably agree that there are still fragments of the "Injil" found within the four gospels we have today, but the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John would be considered nothing more than biographies about Jesus written by 4 different men.
Mother of Books w gospels.jpg

If a Christian were to ask a Muslim: "The Quran affirms the inspiration, preservation, and authority of the gospel, so why don't you believe what the Bible says?"

They're going to respond with something like: "The Bible isn't the Injil/gospel. The Injil/gospel was the message that Jesus brought with Him, not the gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John."

The Muslim will then think the Christian either doesn't understand what the Qur'an says or that they are willfully misrepresenting the Qur'an; neither of which is going to go very far in convincing the Muslim that they should follow Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
We will have to disagree. I studied Islam for a while. I was sickened to the point where I had to quit. One Imam I read was asked why punishment for leaving Islam was so severe. He replied that no one would remain a Muslim if they were free to leave. Sincerity? Some yes.

No one can be forced into faith. Faith is very simply trust. Fear and faith are opposites.

It’s very deep and sincere. Especially comparing to Christianity. It’s obvious when you meet them.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So your not rejoicing at every single person who accepts Christ? Luke 15:10 If yes I'll just say then show how you can do better! Any ideas?

To do better, Christians must follow Jesus instead of pretending or making Christianity that ignores Jesus

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Gospel singular.
Gospels plural.
Gospel singular.
Gospels plural.

Muhammad wasn't talking about the four gospels in our Bible because there is only one gospel (singular) in Islam.

In Islam, the Injil/Gospel was sent down and revealed only to Jesus which He then taught to the children of Israel. The 4 gospels found in the Bible were written after Jesus' earthly ministry by men; therefore, they can't possibly be the gospel that was sent down/revealed to Jesus or the one Muhammed would have been referring to in the Qur'an. Most Muslims would probably agree that there are still fragments of the "Injil" found within the four gospels we have today, but the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John would be considered nothing more than biographies about Jesus written by 4 different men.
View attachment 315311
If a Christian were to ask a Muslim: "The Quran affirms the inspiration, preservation, and authority of the gospel, so why don't you believe what the Bible says?"

They're going to respond with something like: "The Bible isn't the Injil/gospel. The Injil/gospel was the message that Jesus brought with Him, not the gospel according to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John."

The Muslim will then think the Christian either doesn't understand what the Qur'an says or that they are willfully misrepresenting the Qur'an; neither of which is going to go very far in convincing the Muslim that they should follow Christ.
Thank you for pointing out when I wrote gospels whereas the quote said gospel. Arabic doesn't have two meanings for injil, it should read gospel.

When people are free of Sharia law countries, they leave. Imam's have been caught describing this exodus from Islam especially amoung the youth as an Tsunami. Stands to reason that geneology in your comment isn't what's keeping them in the Mosque.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To do better, Christians must follow Jesus instead of pretending or making Christianity that ignores Jesus
That's been a popular message in churches at least on a yearly basis. Every Christmas Christians talk about it in churches. It should not be about consumerism with it's spirit of buying and getting. And now we're starting to talk about this problem too. Also it's nothing new. Jude 1:12

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It’s very deep and sincere. Especially comparing to Christianity. It’s obvious when you meet them.
I've lived in a Muslim country. Brainwashing, bullying, threats and intimidation produce sincerity? You could say that Germans in the Nazi Party or people like Stalin were sincere. Jehovah's Witnesses are sincere and so are Mormons. Sincerity is much overrated when it's under duress or based on ignorance.

A blanket denigration of Christianity is false. Sure, there are people who are nominal Christians. There are also Christians in Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, China, North Korea etc. who face death daily for their faith. During ISIL's murderous rampage, 90,000 Christians refused to convert to Islam and were murdered.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,643.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
During ISIL's murderous rampage, 90,000 Christians refused to convert to Islam and were murdered.
Do you have a source for this? ISIL hasn't killed anywhere close to 90,000 people since its inception and the vast majority of the victims have been non-Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,643.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
According to Open Doors, the number of Christians known to have been killed “for faith-related reasons” worldwide between the years 2013 and 2017 was 17,840. This number would include Christians killed outside of ISIL's reach. The numbers reported by Open Doors are likely too conservative, but even if the number of Christians killed during that five year period was doubled, we would still be looking at just over 35,000 killed.

Christians killed for faith-related reasons by year.

2012 1,201
2013 2,123
2014 4,344
2015 7,100
2016 1,207
2017 3,066
2018 4,136
2019 2,983
2020 4,761
2021 5,898

Source: Open Doors

• Informative
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've lived in a Muslim country. Brainwashing, bullying, threats and intimidation produce sincerity? You could say that Germans in the Nazi Party or people like Stalin were sincere. Jehovah's Witnesses are sincere and so are Mormons. Sincerity is much overrated when it's under duress or based on ignorance.

A blanket denigration of Christianity is false. Sure, there are people who are nominal Christians. There are also Christians in Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, China, North Korea etc. who face death daily for their faith. During ISIL's murderous rampage, 90,000 Christians refused to convert to Islam and were murdered.

If we compare Muslims they are most sincere and deeply strong faith. Like Christianity 500 years ago. But Christianity is in a very bad decline, because Christians now prefer science and not faith. Maybe it’s really good

Upvote 0

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married

It would be irrational to ask someone to make righteous, serious and life affecting judgements from a book 6 centuries later which is known to have been corrupted and unreliable by then. Muhammud believed that our modern day gospel* was accurate and available in the 7th century and by that time we have enough manuscipt evidence to know it's the same Bible we have today.

* added later for clarity

This is an excellent point! I'm a fan of Rodwell's translation, which states in Surah 5:47: "But how shall they make thee their judge, since they possess already the Law, in which are the behests of God, and have not obeyed it? After this, they will turn their backs; but such are not believers."

And Surah 5:50-51: "And in the footsteps of the prophets caused We Jesus, the Son of Mary, to follow, confirming the law which was before Him [Torah/Towrat]; and We gave Him the Evangel [Gospel] with its guidance and light, confirmatory of the preceding Law; a guidance and warning to those who fear God; And that the people of the Evangel may judge according to what God hath sent down therein. And whoso will not judge by what God hath sent down - such are the perverse."

Essentially what I believe Muhammad is saying here is that there are Christians who have the Gospel and choose not to follow it; those are not believers in God. But the point is, Christians could not possibly be judged as non believers if they did not have access to the Word of God, the Gospel. This is saying that they do, therefore the Gospel cannot be corrupt. The only corruption possibly meant in other passages of the Koran within this context are those of interpretation or ignoring certain passages. I believe Muslims have confused those other passages to mean that the Book itself was re-written, (impossible, too many copies, someone would have noticed), which would contradict the above passages.

I have no issue with the interpretation that the Gospel was revealed to Jesus only. Of course it was, Jesus is the Word of God made flesh. He is the Gospel, He is the Word. Witnesses to Jesus' teachings wrote those teachings down in the Book, which we also call the Gospel. The only difference is one is the Revelation of God, the other is the record of that Revelation written by those who listened to the Son.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we compare Muslims they are most sincere and deeply strong faith. Like Christianity 500 years ago. But Christianity is in a very bad decline, because Christians now prefer science and not faith. Maybe it’s really good
Christianity in the west is declining, but in communist China, Iran, Africa and many other countries Christianity is growing rapidly. I have heard from several sources Christianity by population is growing the fastest in Iran, because the people hate the government so much and relate Islam to the government.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Christianity in the west is declining, but in communist China, Iran, Africa and many other countries Christianity is growing rapidly. I have heard from several sources Christianity by population is growing the fastest in Iran, because the people hate the government so much and relate Islam to the government.

Numbers don’t mean much. Christians don’t have strong faith, not sincere. Muslims are on the contrary deep in faith and sincere in their beliefs. It’s very easy to see.

Christians reject the teaching of Jesus and replace it with Churchianity, but Muslims follow the teaching of Mohammed very seriously

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Numbers don’t mean much. Christians don’t have strong faith, not sincere. Muslims are on the contrary deep in faith and sincere in their beliefs. It’s very easy to see.

Christians reject the teaching of Jesus and replace it with Churchianity, but Muslims follow the teaching of Mohammed very seriously
You speak way to generally. I am familiar with Christians in Iran, Communist China and Christian prisoners in the USA.
Have you ever been around a group of mostly new Christians, who if they show the slightest weakness, not doing what Christ would do or think in every situation risked being seen by some very sneaky fellows who will tell some really bad guys you are not fully committed and those really bad guys will come and beat you maybe to death, to try and make you their slaves.

For many years, I experienced and believed Christianity had no real down side. It was a happy, easy and rewarding life, everyone should jump in.

I use to teach “we (Christians) all sin lots of times and cannot keep from it, but we are constantly being washed by the blood of Christ, so we are without sin in that case.” That was before I met a group of Christians that risked death for themselves and others by sinning, just any sign of not doing what Christ would be doing in that moment. Here is what happened:

I got thrown into (volunteering if needed) with the youth (13-21 age) prisoners program teaching Bible (one hour on Sunday morning to a group of 14 with three other Christians teaching groups of 14) and I was teaching three groups of “Christians”. The first group were guys (going to school it is called) that start out causing trouble and getting thrown in the tank. Then they start increasingly attending the Bible services, carrying their Bible, being nice, eventually being baptized and saying they are Christian. By the time the parole board meets they have this glowing report showing continued improvement tied to their increased spirituality and are released and they were fun to teach. These guys still carry weapons, are members of a gang, and every prisoner knows they just “went to school” to get out. The second group were converted before they went to prison (grandma conversions), but on the first day they are seen watching raunchy TV, hanging with a loss group, laughing at off colored jokes, were not always talking about Jesus and were not trying to convert others. Their first day in prison the snitches see this, the snitches talk to the Bulls who then approach these “Christians” saying you are not a Christian (doing everything Christ would do) and make them a slave (often sexual) or at best a gang member. They still come to Bible study on Sunday, good students, so they can tell Granny (who visits them Sunday afternoon) what they learned, but they are slaves (sometimes sexually) to some bull. The third group is fanatical, they stick close to each other, they: study, pray, witness to everyone, and avoid even a hint of insincerity that the snitches could see. They carry no weapons, but step between those that are being beaten especially persecuted. This group had grown over the last 3 years from just a couple of guys to now 42, but it came at a high price. Each convert had on the day he was baptized given up the protection of his gang membership, turned over his weapons along with all his possessions (the gang owns everything including them), they were beaten if not by the gang they left, then by other gangs looking for payback and then they were watched constantly looking for any sign the snitches might interpret as weakness (anything less than what Christ would do in the situation, would result in a beating and it could be to death). There is absolutely no privacy and these Christians never wanted to be found alone. They slept in barracks where at least one stayed awake all night praying over the others, so they could sleep without the fear of being smashed in the head in the middle of the night. These guys believed and counted on power from the Holy Spirit, I did not know existed. They come battered and bruised each week hungry for some real meaningful Christ like lesson that goes beyond their group study of 40+hours that week on the same subject, which I could not provide. They mostly helped me with my poor example of Christianity and lack of knowledge and lack of wisdom. They mentored me even though they were only Christian for a few months, but I was a poor disciple and could not keep up with them.

Upvote 0