Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I understand that that's your opinion, but that's not what I asked you. Again, my question was:

What, specifically, about the shutdown should have caused people to vote against the Republicans?

How did the government shut down affect the average voter?

When shutdowns are happening because the morons in congress are holding their breath 'til they turn blue, it makes the American people angry. If congress can't even agree on continuing to fund the government, that means it is dysfunctional. Dysfunction means that stuff doesn't get done. The American people want stuff to get done.

I saw it. You didn't answer the question above.

Pretty sure I did. The question is whether you'll accept that answer.

I'm sure "Nuh-Uh" really seems like a good argument to you but it's not.

You're trying to start an argument with me about the immigration executive action, and I'm not taking the bait. Obama is not "subverting" the Constitution, so your question is meaningless.
Ringo

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When shutdowns are happening because the morons in congress are holding their breath 'til they turn blue, it makes the American people angry.

If congress can't even agree on continuing to fund the government, that means it is dysfunctional. Dysfunction means that stuff doesn't get done. The American people want stuff to get done.

What kind of "stuff"?

Pretty sure I did. The question is whether you'll accept that answer.

There was no answer to accept.

You're trying to start an argument with me about the immigration executive action, and I'm not taking the bait. Obama is not "subverting" the Constitution, so your question is meaningless.
Ringo

Asking a question is not "trying to start an argument".

Nor did I say anything about Obama's "immigration executive action". But the fact that you brought it up shows that you understand that there are concerns about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Your face when W. was the last guy to come up with a decent budget:

untitled.png

Your face when his own republican congress shot it down and filled it with pork:

bush_scared%20RESIZE.jpg

Congress is on a mission to make our presidents look better by comparison. I'm becoming convinced of this.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Considering the OP, please address how the Repub's were blamed for that in '13, but Dem's were not ripped for VOTING TO SHUT DOWN THE GOV. the other day!

If they had a reason, how is THAT different from '13? The Repub's had their reasons, you know?

Well for one they didn't vote to shut down the government they voted no on a procedural bill progressing without further debate.

Some of them did actually vote to pass the bill later so you are just complaining about the process where one party added a poison pill on a spending bill to keep the government open and the other party swallowed it for the good of the country.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well for one they didn't vote to shut down the government they voted no on a procedural bill progressing without further debate...
Without this procedural vote, the Omnibus Bill dies. Boehner lied to at least one Repub. Rep. to get him to change so the procedural vote would go through, and the Bill could be brought forth to the House for a vote.

Then, he and Obama went out to assure they could get it passed in the House (whip the votes.) This thing is unpalatable to the base of voters of BOTH parties for one reason or the other, and that is what the thread is about. Also, this matter of the Dem's in the House voting as a block AGAINST it is a vote to shut down the Gov., as they will all go on vacation in a day or two. If this is not done, the same thing will happen as before, which the Dem's and media said was the Repub's shutting down the government.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Without this procedural vote, the Omnibus Bill dies. Boehner lied to at least one Repub. Rep. to get him to change so the procedural vote would go through, and the Bill could be brought forth to the House for a vote.

Then, he and Obama went out to assure they could get it passed in the House (whip the votes.) This thing is unpalatable to the base of voters of BOTH parties for one reason or the other, and that is what the thread is about. Also, this matter of the Dem's in the House voting as a block AGAINST it is a vote to shut down the Gov., as they will all go on vacation in a day or two. If this is not done, the same thing will happen as before, which the Dem's and media said was the Repub's shutting down the government.

This bill dieing would not have necessarily meant the Government would shut down. It could have been modified or a different bill passed in it's stead.

Saying that the Democrats were voting to shut down the government here is disingenuous, they were obviously making an attempt to change this bill.

I'm not going to blame congressmen for not voting for a bill that clearly put in very political divisive measures to help out various special interests like promising future bailouts for the Banking lobby when placing those things on the bill was a horrid tactic to begin with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I see....shutting down the government for almost two weeks because of a temper tantrum over the health care law is "returning the federal government to within the bounds established for it by the Constitution".

That's exactly what TJ wrote into the Declaration: "We the People, in order to throw babyish tantrums over laws...."
Ringo

Yours will most likely be the response of the MSM as well. When it is Republicans voting to shut down government it is petulance and treachery bordering on treason, but when the Democrats do the same, it is a reasoned response against conservative treachery.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yours will most likely be the response of the MSM as well. When it is Republicans voting to shut down government it is petulance and treachery bordering on treason, but when the Democrats do the same, it is a reasoned response against conservative treachery.

Look at who is putting one special condition after another on the government continuing to operate.

Back then it was repeal Obamacare or we shut down the government, now it's promise to insure wall street bankers bets or we shut down the government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This bill dieing would not have necessarily meant the Government would shut down. It could have been modified or a different bill passed in it's stead.

Saying that the Democrats were voting to shut down the government here is disingenuous, they were obviously making an attempt to change this bill.

I'm not going to blame congressmen for not voting for a bill that clearly put in very political divisive measures to help out various special interests like promising future bailouts for the Banking lobby when placing those things on the bill was a horrid tactic to begin with.

irony-meter.jpg

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Irony meter

What? We have one party that keeps attaching extranious condition after condition to the government continuing to operate.

It just happens that they are going to win this time.

We are going to bail out banks again hooray?!

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Anyone have a good comparison on how the dems and gop behaved when the positions were swapped?

I know the dems compromised quite a lot, but did they attach ridiculous things like this during that shut down?

I believe their position was asking for a clean bill.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Ah, actually I am seeing that.

So on one hand it isn't the same because the dems weren't attatching weird junk like the GOP is now.

On the other hand it is similar because the dems are threatening to shut down the government which could have disastrous effects.

It is really a matter of the potential harm caused by letting the budgets with all their riders through vs not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ah, actually I am seeing that.

So on one hand it isn't the same because the dems weren't attatching weird junk like the GOP is now.

On the other hand it is similar because the dems are threatening to shut down the government which could have disastrous effects.

It is really a matter of the potential harm caused by letting the budgets with all their riders through vs not.

Well that, and they don't have the votes to shut the government down. Not in the house anyway.

If they did have those votes and did use them to shut the government down, and were doing so to overturn a Republican policy then yes, you could compare the situations.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's treachery and petulance bordering on treason when one of the major parties of a country plot to shut down the government because they can't get over being handed electoral losses in 2008 and 2012.

It's not treachery and petulance bordering on treason when a party votes against a bill because it contains poison pills to protect what's left of this country moving forward.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's treachery and petulance bordering on treason when one of the major parties of a country plot to shut down the government because they can't get over being handed electoral losses in 2008 and 2012.

It's not treachery and petulance bordering on treason when a party votes against a bill because it contains poison pills to protect what's left of this country moving forward.
Ringo

Irony-Meter-Explode1.jpg

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes we do - yours is calibrated to be far too sensitive and to give you false positives.

I explained why the situations are different. If you have nothing more to say than macros about irony meters, the door is that way. Feel free to use it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Sep 23, 2006
✟9,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian

Come on be fair.

The party in the outgoing majority has all ready enacted what they wanted. Why would they want to change it?

By contrast, the incoming majority probably had to "compromise" on various issues to "get anything done" and now are taking the opportunity to "rectify" those "expedients."

Upvote 0