Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Charlie: Welcome to you.

According to the context of this cornerstone text, can you tell us the 5 (five) qualifications for aionios kolasis?

They are>>>

? ? ? ? ?
Dear FineLinen, I have no desire to know the 5 qualifications for aionios kolasis.

I only had the desire to let you know that Jesus did use the words "eternal punishment."

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear FineLinen, I have no desire to know the 5 qualifications for aionios kolasis.

I only had the desire to let you know that Jesus did use the words "eternal punishment."

Dear Charlie: That is most unfortunate, the cornerstone text for "everlasting punishment" is St. Matthew 25. If you have no desire to know what the Master says in the said chapter, we will leave it there, and wish you well in your journey.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Charlie: That is most unfortunate, the cornerstone text for "everlasting punishment" is St. Matthew 25. If you have no desire to know what the Master says in the said chapter, we will leave it there, and wish you well in your journey.

I'm very familiar with Matt. 25. Wouldn't it be simpler for you to use plain English to make it easier for us to understand you?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm very familiar with Matt. 25. Wouldn't it be simpler for you to use plain English to make it easier for us to understand you?

Dear Charlie: F.L. does not use simple language or plain English.

Since you are "very familiar"with the context of St. Matthew 25, you are well on your way to answering the following questions (in plain English).

1. What are the qualifications for "everlasting punishment"?

2. Why are pure virgins in the text, rather than virgins and harlots?

3. Why two clean animals sheep & goats, rather than 1 clean & 1 unclean IOW sheep and swine?

• Winner
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Charlie: F.L. does not use simple language or plain English.

Since you are "very familiar"with the context of St. Matthew 25, you are well on your way to answering the following questions (in plain English).

1. What are the qualifications for "everlasting punishment"?

2. Why are pure virgins in the text, rather than virgins and harlots?

3. Why two clean animals sheep & goats, rather than 1 clean & 1 unclean IOW sheep and swine?

Well you should in order to make yourself understood. I'm not going to look up this Latin, or Greek, or whatever it is.

What is this, some kind of Catholic qualification test? I'm not Catholic.

Maybe it's best that I don't correct you anymore. Yes, that's what I will do, and we won't have anymore problems.

God Bless

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well you should in order to make yourself understood. I'm not going to look up this Latin, or Greek, or whatever it is.

What is this, some kind of Catholic qualification test? I'm not Catholic.

Maybe it's best that I don't correct you anymore. Yes, that's what I will do, and we won't have anymore problems.

God Bless

Dear Charlie: I am not Catholic either, just an old rotten sinner. The best to you in your journey!

Christian by His Design

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dear Charlie: I am not Catholic either, just an old rotten sinner. The best to you in your journey!

Christian by His Design

Well, I will have to join you as an old rotten sinner. I most certainly do not deserve His grace. The best to you also!

• Friendly
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, I will have to join you as an old rotten sinner. I most certainly do not deserve His grace. The best to you also!

Dear Charlie: The wonderful fact is that every one of us dirty rotten sinners, made so by no choice of our own, are destined for graduation!

The God Equation=

The polus made sinners>>>>=

The polus made righteous.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
2 Thessalonians 1:9 English Standard Version (ESV)

"They will suffer the punishment of the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.."
1. What it is?
2. What it is not?
3. What is the scope of aionios?
4. Is the quality of destruction qualified?
5. What is before aionios?
6. What the scholars proclaim.
7. Various translations of "everlasting destruction".
FineLinen said:
There is aionios kolasis (everlasting punishment) & basanidzo & apollumi>>>
BUT
The words endless torment (adialeipton timorion), eternal imprisonment (aidios eirgmos) and eternal punishment (aidios kalasin) do not appear anywhere in the Greek New Testament, at least not in conjunction. Neither, will you find the term aidios timorion or eternal torment.

Therefore, whoever says that there is an eternal (aidios) time set for punishment (kalasin) or torment beyond this life is sadly mistaken.

It's a limited duration of aionion (αἰώνιον - a period of time, as in an age) kalasin (Κόλασιν - chastisement or correction) which is in view; but the day and hour that it begins and ends is unpredictable.

If it were eternal, then the word Aidios would have been used. But not even Jesus used the word for eternal in conjunction with any kind of punishment or life for that matter.
No, we are not sadly mistaken, I'm afraid you are!
Using your own ESV translation we read in Matt. 25:46,
46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
According to the context of this cornerstone text, can you tell us the 5 (five) qualifications for aionios kolasis?
They are>>>? ? ? ? ?
Hello Fine Linen.

Yes, it is me again, sans my "flying contraption" LOL.
I am studying on the word "parousia" used in Matthew 24, so I felt it would be appropriate to put it in my siggy :)

That aside, a link, and some videos at bottom of post, for those viewing this thread. and I pray they will be as edifying for those here as they were for me.........God bless

God's Plan For All

Gods Plan for All is totally based on the Bible as given in the original inspired Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. The whole of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation becomes wonderfully and powerfully alive, without any contradictions, once you understand God’s Plan for All. You are invited to read this life changing, God honouring and God exalting book. There are many wonderful, powerful and eye-opening truths revealed here; truths clearly explained with plain biblical texts. There has been no such book written in the history of Christianity.

Chapter 17 – Translations of Owlam, Aion, and Aionios – Gods Plan for All

Mistranslations of Aionios

Matthew 25:46

And these will go away into everlasting (aionios) punishment, but the righteous into eternal (aionios) life.

This is a mistranslated verse, which first appeared as a mistranslation in the Latin Vulgate around 400 AD in support of the Roman Catholic doctrine of hell. The KJV and other subsequent versions of the Bible that support the doctrine of hell have carried forward this mistranslated verse into their own versions.

Augustine (354-430 AD), a fifth century Roman Catholic saint, who championed the doctrine of hell, depended heavily on this single verse to argue the case for endless punishment of unbelievers in hell.

Augustine argued that since Jesus used the same word aionios to describe both the duration of the future punishment of unbelievers and the future life of the righteous, then it necessarily follows that the future punishment of unbelievers will be everlasting just like the future life of the righteous.

The problem Augustine had was that he strongly believed in the pagan doctrine of hell and he totally ignored, or was ignorant of, the fact that aion and its adjective aionios have two meanings in the Bible of age and everlasting depending on their context.

Now, let us understand the correct translation of Matthew 25:46 and the true meaning of what Jesus Christ is saying in this verse.

As we have demonstrated, to translate aionios punishment to mean everlasting or eternal punishment is a mistranslation because it brings contradiction into the Word of God. In addition to this, it should be noted that the Greek word for punishment used in Matthew 25:46 is kolasis, and the meaning of kolasis is ‘corrective punishment’ as confirmed by Strong’s Concordance number G2851. So, the true meaning of Matthew 25:46 as dictated by the context is:

And these will go away into age-to-come, age-lasting (aionios) corrective punishment (kolasis), but the righteous into age-to-come eternal (aionios) life.

This is the true meaning of this scripture as originally inspired by the Holy Spirit, and it does not introduce any contradictions whatsoever into the Word of God.

Let us consider another example of a mistranslation of aionios.

Apostle Paul was a firm believer in Universal Reconciliation, and he makes many clear universalist statements throughout his writings. However, there is one statement in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 that has been mistranslated to mean ‘everlasting’ destruction, so let us consider this verse in detail.

2 Thessalonians 1:9

These shall be punished with everlasting (aionios) destruction (olethros) from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

In this verse, taken from the NKJV, aionios destruction is incorrectly translated to mean everlasting destruction. An accurate translation is age-to-come destruction, meaning the destruction of the physical life when they die in the flesh.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 is clearly speaking of God’s judgement against unbelieving humanity living on earth at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, as the preceding two verses confirm: “This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels, He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.”

Yes, at the return of Jesus Christ when He appears in the sky marking the beginning of the next Age, the Millennial Age, most of unbelieving humanity alive at that time will be destroyed in their flesh, i.e., they will die a fleshly death, during the one-year period of the Great Tribulation. Thus, they will undergo an age-to-come destruction and not an eternal destruction, as mistranslated in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 above. However, the time will come, in the future, for all unbelievers to be resurrected at the Second Resurrection to undergo God’s refining, yet merciful, judgement in the Lake of Fire. Please refer to Chapter 10 for details of what takes place at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, and to Chapter 12 for details on God’s refining judgement of unbelieving humanity in the Lake of Fire, during the Great White Throne Judgement Age.

It is because of the mistranslation of the Greek words aion and aionios that we end up with the unbiblical false teachings of:

• Everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46)
  • Eternal judgement (Hebrews 6:2)
  • Eternal damnation (Mark 3:29)
  • Everlasting fire (Matthew 25:41)
  • Everlasting destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9)
All such unbiblical teachings are very serious mistranslations denying the true Gospel of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Saviour of the whole world.............................

Conclusion

Translators of the Bible have a clear choice to make when translating any of the above-mentioned, time-related, words owlam, aion and aionios when related to God’s future judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels. This choice is whether to translate these words to mean ‘everlasting’ in support of the pagan unbiblical doctrine of hell, thus bringing contradictions into the Word of God, or to translate them to mean ‘age-lasting’ in support of God’s future corrective age-to-come judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels, which is in line with the Word of God.

We are saying loud and clear, by the authority of the Bible, that any translation of these words to mean ‘everlasting’ when relating to God’s future judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels is a mistranslation. Such mistranslations contradict the Word of God and negate the Gospel of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Saviour of the whole world.

We now need to repudiate the claim from hell-believing ‘Christians’ that most of the biblical teachings about hell come from the lips of Jesus Christ Himself, which we will do in the next chapter.
=======
» Chapter 15 – The Pagan Doctrine of Hell
=============================

Is the "GEHENNA" of Matt 23:33 the "LAKE OF FIRE" in Revelation? Poll thread

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello Fine Linen.

Yes, it is me again, sans my "flying contraption" LOL.
I am studying on the word "parousia" used in Matthew 24, so I felt it would be appropriate to put it in my siggy :)

That aside, a link, and some videos at bottom of post, for those viewing this thread. and I pray they will be as edifying for those here as they were for me.........God bless

God's Plan For All

Gods Plan for All is totally based on the Bible as given in the original inspired Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. The whole of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation becomes wonderfully and powerfully alive, without any contradictions, once you understand God’s Plan for All. You are invited to read this life changing, God honouring and God exalting book. There are many wonderful, powerful and eye-opening truths revealed here; truths clearly explained with plain biblical texts. There has been no such book written in the history of Christianity.

Chapter 17 – Translations of Owlam, Aion, and Aionios – Gods Plan for All

Mistranslations of Aionios

And these will go away into everlasting (aionios) punishment, but the righteous into eternal (aionios) life.

This is a mistranslated verse, which first appeared as a mistranslation in the Latin Vulgate around 400 AD in support of the Roman Catholic doctrine of hell. The KJV and other subsequent versions of the Bible that support the doctrine of hell have carried forward this mistranslated verse into their own versions.

Augustine (354-430 AD), a fifth century Roman Catholic saint, who championed the doctrine of hell, depended heavily on this single verse to argue the case for endless punishment of unbelievers in hell.

Augustine argued that since Jesus used the same word aionios to describe both the duration of the future punishment of unbelievers and the future life of the righteous, then it necessarily follows that the future punishment of unbelievers will be everlasting just like the future life of the righteous.

The problem Augustine had was that he strongly believed in the pagan doctrine of hell and he totally ignored, or was ignorant of, the fact that aion and its adjective aionios have two meanings in the Bible of age and everlasting depending on their context.

Now, let us understand the correct translation of Matthew 25:46 and the true meaning of what Jesus Christ is saying in this verse.

As we have demonstrated, to translate aionios punishment to mean everlasting or eternal punishment is a mistranslation because it brings contradiction into the Word of God. In addition to this, it should be noted that the Greek word for punishment used in Matthew 25:46 is kolasis, and the meaning of kolasis is ‘corrective punishment’ as confirmed by Strong’s Concordance number G2851. So, the true meaning of Matthew 25:46 as dictated by the context is:

And these will go away into age-to-come, age-lasting (aionios) corrective punishment (kolasis), but the righteous into age-to-come eternal (aionios) life.

This is the true meaning of this scripture as originally inspired by the Holy Spirit, and it does not introduce any contradictions whatsoever into the Word of God.

Let us consider another example of a mistranslation of aionios.

Apostle Paul was a firm believer in Universal Reconciliation, and he makes many clear universalist statements throughout his writings. However, there is one statement in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 that has been mistranslated to mean ‘everlasting’ destruction, so let us consider this verse in detail.

2 Thessalonians 1:9

These shall be punished with everlasting (aionios) destruction (olethros) from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.

In this verse, taken from the NKJV, aionios destruction is incorrectly translated to mean everlasting destruction. An accurate translation is age-to-come destruction, meaning the destruction of the physical life when they die in the flesh.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 is clearly speaking of God’s judgement against unbelieving humanity living on earth at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, as the preceding two verses confirm: “This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels, He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.”

Yes, at the return of Jesus Christ when He appears in the sky marking the beginning of the next Age, the Millennial Age, most of unbelieving humanity alive at that time will be destroyed in their flesh, i.e., they will die a fleshly death, during the one-year period of the Great Tribulation. Thus, they will undergo an age-to-come destruction and not an eternal destruction, as mistranslated in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 above. However, the time will come, in the future, for all unbelievers to be resurrected at the Second Resurrection to undergo God’s refining, yet merciful, judgement in the Lake of Fire. Please refer to Chapter 10 for details of what takes place at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, and to Chapter 12 for details on God’s refining judgement of unbelieving humanity in the Lake of Fire, during the Great White Throne Judgement Age.

It is because of the mistranslation of the Greek words aion and aionios that we end up with the unbiblical false teachings of:

• Everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46)
  • Eternal judgement (Hebrews 6:2)
  • Eternal damnation (Mark 3:29)
  • Everlasting fire (Matthew 25:41)
  • Everlasting destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9)
All such unbiblical teachings are very serious mistranslations denying the true Gospel of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Saviour of the whole world.............................

Conclusion

Translators of the Bible have a clear choice to make when translating any of the above-mentioned, time-related, words owlam, aion and aionios when related to God’s future judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels. This choice is whether to translate these words to mean ‘everlasting’ in support of the pagan unbiblical doctrine of hell, thus bringing contradictions into the Word of God, or to translate them to mean ‘age-lasting’ in support of God’s future corrective age-to-come judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels, which is in line with the Word of God.

We are saying loud and clear, by the authority of the Bible, that any translation of these words to mean ‘everlasting’ when relating to God’s future judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels is a mistranslation. Such mistranslations contradict the Word of God and negate the Gospel of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Saviour of the whole world.

We now need to repudiate the claim from hell-believing ‘Christians’ that most of the biblical teachings about hell come from the lips of Jesus Christ Himself, which we will do in the next chapter.
=======
» Chapter 15 – The Pagan Doctrine of Hell
=============================

Is the "GEHENNA" of Matt 23:33 the "LAKE OF FIRE" in Revelation? Poll thread

Dear Little Lamb of our triumphant Lord: With the depth of this post, your flying contraption may never become airborne again. LOL.

My friend in this awesome wonder of Father's cherished purpose, beholding you is always a delight. Much thanks for the videos and your positive words!

Cause My people to breathe again!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The wonderful fact is that every one of us dirty rotten sinners, made so by no choice of our own, are destined for graduation!

The God Equation=

The polus made sinners>>>>=

The polus made righteous.
Another thing this line of teaching suggests is that God, having finished the work of redemption, then turns it all over to a rather carnal Church that does not truly know God, does not even understand God's great plan of the ages, and cares far more about making proselytes to a denomination than in bringing people into a living relationship with Jesus Christ. The average Church today cares more about its programs, its missionary efforts, its buildings, its committee meetings and its budget than it does about making known to the world the glad news that God has reconciled the whole world to Himself and He shall not rest until every heart has surrendered and the very last sheep has been carried back to the fold. Nothing stops or hinders this Shepherd, for if He did fail in this effort, He could never rest knowing that one of His sheep was lost and eternally destroyed. He does not send anyone else or leave it to the sheep to find its way back. HE HIMSELF GOES UNTIL HE FINDS.

Let us have these things right and straight in our minds. Let us see these things correctly. Nothing is left in any way to chance. The Shepherd sends no one out to look for the sheep, but goes Himself. Granted, HE GOES THROUGH HIS BODY, but He is not sitting idly by to see what will happen. His mission goes on until it is one hundred percent successful and the LAST ONE is found. Nothing will stop the work of the Shepherd until that last sheep is made to correctly know the Shepherd, who He is, and His great love for him. The Shepherd DOES SEEK until He finds the last one, no matter how long it takes or to what depths He must search!

Source: The Savior of the World, by J. Preston Eby
Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of the World Series Part 1

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saint Steven said:
Another thing this line of teaching suggests is that God, having finished the work of redemption, then turns it all over to a rather carnal Church that does not truly know God, does not even understand God's great plan of the ages, and cares far more about making proselytes to a denomination than in bringing people into a living relationship with Jesus Christ. The average Church today cares more about its programs, its missionary efforts, its buildings, its committee meetings and its budget than it does about making known to the world the glad news that God has reconciled the whole world to Himself and He shall not rest until every heart has surrendered and the very last sheep has been carried back to the fold. Nothing stops or hinders this Shepherd, for if He did fail in this effort, He could never rest knowing that one of His sheep was lost and eternally destroyed. He does not send anyone else or leave it to the sheep to find its way back. HE HIMSELF GOES UNTIL HE FINDS.
Let us have these things right and straight in our minds. Let us see these things correctly. Nothing is left in any way to chance. The Shepherd sends no one out to look for the sheep, but goes Himself. Granted, HE GOES THROUGH HIS BODY, but He is not sitting idly by to see what will happen. His mission goes on until it is one hundred percent successful and the LAST ONE is found. Nothing will stop the work of the Shepherd until that last sheep is made to correctly know the Shepherd, who He is, and His great love for him. The Shepherd DOES SEEK until He finds the last one, no matter how long it takes or to what depths He must search!
Source: The Savior of the World, by J. Preston Eby.

Are you not able to express your own thoughts on this topic? You revive a thread from a year ago and all you can do is copy/paste something from a person who neither states nor demonstrates any expertise in Greek. Everything this Eby person says is nothing but his own unsupported opinion.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
***Conclusion
We are saying loud and clear, by the authority of the Bible, that any translation of these words to mean ‘everlasting’ when relating to God’s future judgement of unbelievers and fallen angels is a mistranslation. Such mistranslations contradict the Word of God and negate the Gospel of Jesus Christ that He is indeed the Saviour of the whole world***
I see a lot of this linguistic manipulation, people claiming that "aionios" and "olam" never mean eternal. And they quote assorted 19th-early 20th century "scholars" as proof.
If one wants to know the meaning of "olam" ask native Hebrew speaking scholars.
In the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation of the OT "olam" is translated "eternal" 2 times and "everlasting 67 times. According to native Hebrew speaking scholars "olam" means "eternal/everlasting." period end of discussion!
…..Greek is now, and for 2000+ years has been, the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who, better than the native Greek speaking scholars who translated the “literal” Greek Eastern Orthodox Bible [EOB], know the correct meaning of Greek words, e.g. “Gehenna,””aiōnios,”“kolasis” etc?
EOB, footnote pg. 180

“Hades is the realm of the dead. The upper part of hades was considered to be
luminous and it was called “paradise” or "Abraham's bosom.” Hades is not to be
confused with hell (Gehenna) which is the final place of state or place of the
damned (“the lake of’ fire”).”
= = = = = = = = = =
The Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96
Matthew 25:46 Then he will answer them saying ‘Amen. I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' “These [[ones on the left]] will go away into eternal punishment.[κολασιν αιονιον/kolasin aiōnion] but the righteous into eternal life.
= = = = = = = = = =
KJV Romans 16:26 [EOB 14:25]
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [
αιωνιου/aiōniou] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
Paul, the same writer, in the same writing, the book of Romans, uses αιωνιου/aiōniou, in Rom 16:26 synonymous with αιδιος/aidios in Rom 1:20, below.
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly seen. They perceived through created things, even his everlasting [τε αιδιος/te aidios] power and divinity.
Scholars unanimously agree that “aidios” means “eternal/everlasting.”
This shows conclusively that “aionios” means “eternal/everlasting.”
= = = = = = = =
https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96 can be viewed or D/L at the above link. For any doubts/questions about the EOB version please read the 200 page preface which documents the extensive Greek scholarship supporting this translation.
= = = = = = = = = =
…..If that isn't enough Jesus used the word “aiōnios” 28 times, He never used “αἰώνιος/aiōnios” to refer to something ordinary or mundane which was not/cannot be eternal.
In the following 10 verses, Jesus, intentionally or not, defined/described “αἰώνιος/aiōnios” as “eternal” and “αἰών/aiōn” as “eternity.”

[1]John 6:58
(58) This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.[αἰώνιος/aiōnios]
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aiōnios life” with “death.” If “live aiōnios” is living only a finite period, that is not opposite “death.” Thus “aiōnios” by definition here means “eternal.”
[2-3]John 10:28-29
(28) I give them eternal [αἰώνιος/aiōnios] life, and they shall never [ου μη/ou mé] [αἰών/aiōn] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

(29) My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.
ου μη/ou mé, vs. 28, signifies “in nowise,””by no means,””never,” [fn below]. In these two verses Jesus defines both “aiōnios” and “aiōn” as “eternal” with these three phrases, “[not] snatch them out of my hand,” “never perish,” and “no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.” If “aion/aiōnios” means “age(s), a finite period,” that is not the opposite of “never perish,[not] snatch them out of my hand/the father’s hand.”
[4-5]John 3:15-16
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [αιωνιον] life.
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [αιωνιον] life.
In these two verses Jesus pairs “aiōnion” with “should not perish,” twice. Believers could eventually perish in a finite period, thus by definition “aiōnion life” here means eternal/everlasting life.
[6]John 5:24
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting [αἰώνιος] life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
In this verse Jesus defines “aiōnios” as “eternal” with the phrases “shall not come into condemnation” and “passed from death unto life.” “Aiōnios” does not mean “a finite period,” by definition here it means “eternal,” unless at some point, Jesus lets His followers come into condemnation and pass into death.
[7]John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting [αἰώνιος/aiōnios] life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aiōnios life” with “shall not see life.” If aiōnios means an indefinite age that is not opposite “shall not see life” By definition here aiōnios means eternal.
[8]EOB John 4:14 But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never [ ου μη/ou mé] be thirsty again. Not only this, the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal [αἰώνιος/aiōnios] life.”
Cleenewerck, L. (Ed.). (2011). The Easter/Greek Orthodox Bible:New Testament. (Jn 4:13–14). Laurent A. Cleenewerck.
In this verse Jesus contrasts aiōnios with “shall never ου μη/ou mé thirst.” ου μη/ou mé means “in nowise, by no means,” [fn below] Aiōnios cannot mean an indefinite age that is not opposite “shall never thirst.” By definition aiōnios here means eternal.
[9]John 6:27
(27) Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting [αἰώνιος/aiōnios] life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
In this verse Jesus contrasts “aiōnios meat” with “meat that perishes.” If aiōnios means an indefinite age that is not opposite “meat that perishes.” By definition aiōnios means eternal.
[10]John 8:51
(51) [αμην αμην/amen amen], I tell you; whoever keeps my word will never [ου μη εις τον αιωνα/ou mé eis ton aiōna] see death.”[1]Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never [ου μη εις τον αιωνα/ou mé eis ton aiōna][fn] see death."
Cleenewerck, L. (Ed.). (2011). The Easter/Greek Orthodox Bible:New Testament.
[fn]● The double negative [ου μη/ou mé] signifies in nowise, by no means. Θεωρήσῃ[theōrésé], denoting steady, protracted vision, is purposely used, because the promise contemplates the entire course of the believer's life in Christ. It is not, shall not die forever, but shall live eternally.
Word Studies in the New Testament, Marvin Vincent.
● ④οὐ marker of reinforced negation, in combination w. μή, οὐ μή has the effect of strengthening the negation (Kühner-G. II 221–23; Schwyzer II 317; Mlt. 187–92 [a thorough treatment of NT usage]; B-D-F §365; RLudwig: D. prophet. Wort 31 ’37, 272–79; JLee, NovT 27, ’85, 18–23; B-D-F §365.—Pla., Hdt. et al. [Kühner-G. loc. cit.]; SIG 1042, 16; POxy 119, 5, 14f; 903, 16; PGM 5, 279; 13, 321; LXX; TestAbr A 8 p. 85, 11 [Stone p. 46]; JosAs 20:3; GrBar 1:7; ApcEsdr 2:7; Just., D. 141, 2). οὐ μή is the most decisive way of negativing something in the future.

Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000)A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian Literature.(3rd Ed). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
● The combinations with οὐ μή also be noticed as, ουδεν οὐ μή (Lu. 10:19); οὐ μή σε άνο ουδ ου σε εγκαταιπο (Heb. 13:5); ουκετι οὐ μή (Rev. 18:14). There is no denying the power of this accumulation of negatives. Cf. the English hymn "I'll never, no never, no never forsake."
Grammar Of The Greek New Testament In The Light Of Historical Research
By A. T. Robertson, M.A., D.D., Ll.D., Litt.D. p.1165.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
αιωνιος/aionios is an adjective. A single word. Surely there is an equivalent single word adjective in the English which corresponds to "aionios." Some folks have decided to change "aionios" into a noun, "age" and a preposition "during" or adjective "lasting."
Or we can go with the Eastern Greek Orthodox church and the ECF.
These ECF define “aionion” as eternal.

Ignatius [A.D. 30-107.] The Epistle to the RomansChap VII
David and Abraham; and I desire the drink of God, namely His blood, which is incorruptible love and eternal life.
Eternal life is paired with incorruptible love.
Justin The First Apology. Chap XIII
For they proclaim our madness to consist in this, that we give to a crucified man a place second to the unchangeable and eternal God, the Creator of all; for they do not discern the mystery that is herein, to which, as we make it plain to you, we pray you to give heed.
“Eternal” is paired with unchangeable
Irenaeus Against Heresies. Book II. Chap V
3. The [immediate] Creator, then, is not the [real] Author of this work, thinking, as He did, that He formed it very good, but He who allows and approves of the productions of defect, and the works of error having a place among his own possessions, and that temporal things should be mixed up with eternal, corruptible with incorruptible, and those which partake of error with those which belong to truth.
“eternal” is paired with "incorruptible" and contrasted with temporal/temporary
Athenagoras A Plea for the Christians.
Chap. X. - The Christians Worship the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
That we are not atheists, therefore, seeing that we acknowledge one God, uncreated, eternal, invisible, impassible, incomprehensible, illimitable, who is apprehended by the understanding only and the reason, who is encompassed by light, and beauty, and spirit, and power ineffable, by whom the universe has been created through His Logos, and set in order, and is kept in being - I have sufficiently demonstrated. [I say “His Logos”], for we acknowledge also a Son of God.
“eternal” is paired with “impassible” and “illimitable.”
Fragments of Clemens Alexandrinus. – I. - From the Latin Translation of Cassiodorus.
“For he that will love life, and see good days;” (1Pe_3:10) that is, who wishes to become eternal and immortal. And He calls the Lord life, and the days good, that is holy.
“eternal” is paired with immortal.
Tertullian Part first Apology Chap. XLV
No doubt about it, we, who receive our awards under the judgment of an all-seeing God, and who look forward to eternal punishment from Him for sin, — we alone make real effort to attain a blameless life, under the influence of our ampler knowledge, the impossibility of concealment, and the greatness of the threatened torment, not merely long-enduring but everlasting, fearing Him, whom he too should fear who the fearing judges, — even God, I mean, and not the proconsul.
“everlasting” is contrasted with long-enduring.
Origen De Principiis. Book I. Chap II
I11. That is properly termed everlasting or eternal which neither had a beginning of existence, nor can ever cease to be what it is. And this is the idea conveyed by John when he says that “God is light.” Now His wisdom is the splendour of that light, not only in respect of its being light, but also of being everlasting light, so that His wisdom is eternal and everlasting splendour.
“everlasting” and “eternal” are described as “neither had a beginning of existence, nor can ever cease to be what it is.”
The Epistles of Cyprian. Epistle LXXX
2. Let no one think of death, but of immortality; nor of temporary punishment, but of eternal glory; since it is written, “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints;” (Psa_116:15) and again, “A broken spirit is a sacrifice to God: a contrite and humble heart God doth not despise.”
“eternal” is paired with immortality and contrasted with temporary.
Novatian Treatise Concerning the Trinity. Chap. XXXI.
Thus God the Father, the Founder and Creator of all things, who only knows no beginning, invisible, infinite, immortal, eternal, is one God;.
“eternal” is described as “knows no beginning, … infinite, immortal”
Gregory Thaumututgus A Declaration of Faith Part 1
There is one Lord, Only of the Only,3 God of God, Image and Likeness of Deity, Efficient Word,4 Wisdom comprehensive5 of the constitution of all things, and Power formative6 of the whole creation, true Son of true Father, Invisible of Invisible, and Incorruptible of Incorruptible, and Immortal of Immortal and Eternal of Eternal.
“eternal” is paired with Incorruptible and Immortal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FineLinen said:
They are>>>
? ? ? ? ?
Pray do tell us these 5 qualifications you have conjured up in your mind or copied from one of your favorite UR scribblers.
…..Greek is now, and for 2000+ years has been, the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who, better than the native Greek speaking scholars who translated the “literal” Greek Eastern Orthodox Bible [EOB], know the correct meaning of Greek words, e.g. “Gehenna,””aiōnios,”“kolasis” etc?
EOB, footnote pg. 180“

Hades is the realm of the dead. The upper part of hades was considered to be
luminous and it was called “paradise” or "Abraham's bosom.” Hades is not to be confused with hell (Gehenna) which is the final place of state or place of the
damned (“the lake of’ fire”).”
= = = = = = = = = =
The Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96

Matthew 25:46 Then he will answer them saying ‘Amen. I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' “These [[ones on the left]] will go away into eternal punishment.[κολασιν αιονιον/kolasin aiōnion] but the righteous into eternal life.
= = = = = = = = = =
KJV Romans 16:26 [EOB 14:25]
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting [αιωνιου/aiōniou] God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
Paul, the same writer, in the same writing, the book of Romans, uses αιωνιου/aiōniou, in Rom 16:26 synonymous with αιδιος/aidios in Rom 1:20, below.
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly seen. They perceived through created things, even his everlasting [τε αιδιος/te aidios] power and divinity.
Scholars unanimously agree that “aidios” means “eternal/everlasting.”
Thus this shows conclusively that “aionios” means “eternal/everlasting” not the nonsensical "age-during."
= = = = = = = =
https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96 can be viewed or D/L free at the above link. For any doubts/questions about the EOB version please read the 200 page preface which documents the extensive Greek scholarship supporting this translation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0