Everglades snakes: view from the cheap seats.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found this with a few seconds on google:
https://www.popsci.com/florida-invasive-pythons

And, here's the problem; from your link,

“We have a lot of respect for these animals, they’re definitely beautiful creatures and we don’t like having to put them down, but we know the toll that they’re taking on the environment,” Bartoszek says. “I’ve seen small pythons regurgitate deer and alligators and everything in between.”

The article tells me that these scientists are just playing with these snakes (just as the scientists are playing with our lakes). They have no intention of reducing their population to reasonable numbers.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You don't understand where I'm coming from, yet like others you have something negative to say. Curious.

To the topic. I bounced my idea off a coworker yesterday and was immediately met with the same mindless objections I meet here. However after I explained further he agreed with me and agreed that I was probably right; that my idea would solve the problem of invasive snakes in the Everglades. :D
Ever wondered if people who disagree with your innovative ideas might be on to something?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And, here's the problem; from your link,

“We have a lot of respect for these animals, they’re definitely beautiful creatures and we don’t like having to put them down, but we know the toll that they’re taking on the environment,” Bartoszek says. “I’ve seen small pythons regurgitate deer and alligators and everything in between.”
So because they don't enjoy it when they're killing them, it doesn't count?

What?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So because they don't enjoy it when they're killing them, it doesn't count?

What?

It means they are going to kill as few as possible.

Note to them: The snakes must be killed in order to control their numbers.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It means they are going to kill as few as possible.

Note to them: The snakes must be killed in order to control their numbers.
According to the article they are killing as humanely possible, but finding snakes in tall grass is complicated.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary except your personal opinion that is based on a half-sentence taken out of context?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to the article they are killing as humanely possible, but finding snakes in tall grass is complicated.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary except your personal opinion that is based on a half-sentence taken out of context?

In order to reduce their numbers significantly they are going to have to kill them 'inhumanely'. Can they do that, and still sleep at night?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In order to reduce their numbers significantly they are going to have to kill them 'inhumanely'.

Why? To make an example for the other snakes?

The problem isn't killing them, the problem is finding them and identifying them. They don't want to kill native snakes.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why? To make an example for the other snakes?

The problem isn't killing them, the problem is finding them and identifying them. They don't want to kill native snakes.

They are going to have to kill lots of native species while killing the invaders. If not the invaders will do it for them. Collateral casualties are acceptable in this case. Native species can be re-introduced later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟489,034.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They are going to have to kill lots of native species while killing the invaders. If not the invaders will do it for them.
Noting that so far you haven't produced any evidence to support your bold assertions, but only been chucking out new assertions on top.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Noting that so far you haven't produced any evidence to support your bold assertions, but only been chucking out new assertions on top.

Some things are obvious. If the biologists can't see what is needed I can't help them.

Upvote 0