Evangelist, an extraordinary office that ceased?

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The word "evangelist" is found only 3 times in the NT. In Acts 21:8 mention is made "of Philip the evangelist"; in Eph. 4:11 the gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist and then pastors and teachers are given. Paul writes to Timothy:

"But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." (2Tim 4:5 KJV) * Not be an evangelist, but do the work of an evangelist

Matthew Poole on Eph. 4:11 lists the apostles, prophets and evangelists as "extraordinary officers" ending with the age of the apostles, with the "pastors and teachers" being "ordinary, and of standing use" in the body of Christ. For those not having Poole on your Bible software, you can read this commentary here:
Ephesians 4 - Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org

This seems to make biblical sense, the "work" of an evangelist passing on to the pastors in 2 Tim. 4:5. The so-called "Great Commission" was given to the 11 Apostles in Matt. 28:16-20; Jesus said the gospel would be preached in all the world in that generation, Matt. 24:14; and this was certainly accomplished according to the Holy Scriptures:

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world." (Rom 1:8 KJV) * That was written as fact prior to 70AD

"If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister" (Col 1:23 KJV) * Again, a fact recorded prior to 70AD

I believe the true, authentic, pure Christian faith has existed since the 1st century, and a major corruption and adulterating of the faith began with a surge in the 19th century, and I view revivalism and dispensationalism as two of the first major corruptions, in the last 200 years. But, if it is true that the faith existed since Jude 3, isn't a pure faith found taught among men of God prior to about 1830 or so?

"Beloved, being very eager to write to you of our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints." (Jude 1:3 RSV)

I find that virtually every question concerning the faith of Jesus Christ, and safeguard against heresy, is clearly taught in earlier commentaries and my personal favorites are free on software or at studylight.org -

Matthew Poole, Puritan (1624-1679) Presbyterian and nonconformist
John Gill, Particular Baptist (1697-1771)
Adam Clarke, Methodist (1762-1832) I'm a Baptist, but I learn so much from Adam Clarke
John Trapp, Puritan (1601-1669)