Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.
  • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evangelical Reading List

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by D+C, Feb 14, 2012.

1. D+C

D+C Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hi all,

I am on something of a winding journey, and following some thoughtful prayer (and prayerful thought) and some excellent advice I am beginning to explore evangelical faith. My background is in Anglo Catholicism, but I am now wanting to immerse myself in evangelical history, theology, apologetics and culture to equip me to attend the independent baptist chapel in my new village.

I intend to re-read the Bible and have bought an ESV Study Bible to assist me, but what I am looking for is a comprehensive reading list to introduce me to the above topics. I have scoured the internet for such a list and have pretty much drawn a blank. Does anyone know of a good list as a starting point? Or maybe a few lists/recommendations to combine? Some British histories/authors would be appreciated!

Many thanks and God bless.
    D+C

2. Saved_n_kept

Saved_n_kept Pilgrim and Stranger

Ratings:
    +7
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    Hi D+C,

The Metropolitan Tabernacle Bookshop has a reading list. It is split into two parts, "startup" and "sequel." It might be some help.Read for the Lord - Books

God bless,

Brian. :)

3. D+C

D+C Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much, a good starting point I feel. I think I need to blend a few together. For example William Lane Craig provides an excellent list on apologetics, whereas the list you have provided seems much more balanced.

4. Publius

Publius Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to deeperstudy.com, they have a pretty exhaustive reading list for all subjects. I think Monergism.com does, too.

A good place to start would be the writing of S. Lewis Johnson.

5. D+C

D+C Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much for your help so far. With your help I have identified four lists that seem to complement each other well.

Recommended Reading | Discipleship, Bible, Christian, Studies – C.S. Lewis Institute Classic texts from Lewis, Schaeffer, Edwards etc.

William Lane Craig's Recommended Apologetics Books - Apologetics 315 William Lane Craig's recommended apologetics

Read for the Lord - Books Quite exceptionally broad list

Cornerstone Baptist Church » Recommended Reading Explicitly Baptist list

6. Osage Bluestem

Osage Bluestem Galatians 5:1

Ratings:
    +240
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Excellent choice!

You selected the best study bible available in the English Language.

To begin with I would start with the London Baptist Confession of 1689 and CH Spurgeon's A Puritan Catechism.

Founders Ministries | A Faith to Confess: The 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith

A Puritan Catechism

These two documents are theological dynamite and outline in clear detail with scriptural proofs historic Baptist doctrine.

God bless, and best of luck with your efforts.

7. D+C

D+C Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thank you very much, the Baptist Confession is now on the list and I have just downloaded the Catechism! Thank you for your help.

8. student ad x

student ad x Senior Contributor

Ratings:
    +647
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Other Religion
    Quite a bit of reading materials @ Doctrine & Theology

Peace