Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you have to secure the schools, and I am assuming you mean with armed security, then you haven't solved the problem because if you had solved the problem there would be no need to secure the schools with armed security.

School shootings appeared rather recently and require an immediate response if we are to keep our kids safe. Gun control legislation is not going to be enacted or be effective immediately like school security can be.

Many schools across the country are installing security measures, not waiting for the government to ferret out all the potential shooters through more stringent screening, or removing certain weapons from the public arsenal (an impossible task by the way).

The media has everyone running around like the Keystone Kops when in fact security measures (including arming teachers) is taking place.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Second Amendment is the law of the land. It exists because people, including leaders, are sinful. Because they are sinful, there needs to be a counterweight against them, which is arming the rest of the people. The Iraqi Christians recently learned this bitter lesson, the Kurds had them give up their guns and rely on them for protection. Then ISIS came, the Kurds fell very short of protecting them, and now the NPUs exist as an armed militia that they didn't have before.

Since there has not been a technological development to make this problem obsolete, repealing the Second Amendment would be foolish. The only other time when a freedom was explicitly taken away from the people by amendment was Prohibition, which was a terrible and bloody mistake which itself had to be repealed. Amending the Constitution is the only legal way to ban the firearms that leftists are asking to be banned, as such bans constitute infringement.

There is nothing un-Christian about this position. Christians who are uncomfortable with it are free to not purchase weapons on their own.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If that works for you fine.

The immediate concern right now making sure schools aren't soft targets. There are plenty of ways besides armed security, although a combination in many circumstances due to size, etc would need to be looked at. This is a priority, and its sad YES. Yet, we don't have options to instantly remove the danger. Hank mentioned prioritize. The priority is to keep kids safe while in school.

I mean your are comment suggests we don't need to prioritize that, because it doesn't solve the problem. We need to keep them soft targets? That is how your comment came across although I doubt you meant it that way.

lol your icon says its your Birthday! Happy Birthday!!
I am not suggesting that you don't prioritize keeping the children safe and of course, I have no wish for them to be soft targets, but the fact that they are targets in their place of education indicates that there is a serious problem. It is very obvious that many Americans don't agree, but I see the problem as being too many weapons that are too easily obtained. I realise that getting rid of all weapons is neither possible nor practical, but until there is a concerted effort to drastically reduce the availability of weapons and introduce gun control legislation that really works, then I can only see a repeat of the tragedies America has suffered all too often and that is something I am sure no one wants to see.

On a happier note, thank you for the birthday greeting, although I am at an age now where I'm not sure if I want to be reminded. :)

• Winner
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not suggesting that you don't prioritize keeping the children safe and of course, I have no wish for them to be soft targets, but the fact that they are targets in their place of education indicates that there is a serious problem. It is very obvious that many Americans don't agree, but I see the problem as being too many weapons that are too easily obtained. I realise that getting rid of all weapons is neither possible nor practical, but until there is a concerted effort to drastically reduce the availability of weapons and introduce gun control legislation that really works, then I can only see a repeat of the tragedies America has suffered all too often and that is something I am sure no one wants to see.

On a happier note, thank you for the birthday greeting, although I am at an age now where I'm not sure if I want to be reminded. :)

There are many places within the USA that have already worked on their 'soft target' issue, and they have taken many different approaches to do this. The pace or reality of getting something like that done? It depends on the dynamic of your government in those places.

First you have your tax base - how much money/resources do you have to work with? Then are the unions and agencies - both state and federal - how much are they going to slow the process down. Some areas you can use vendors that won't cost you an arm and leg to work with, and in some areas you are forced to by law. Getting the urgency meter going for permitting or inspections, etc that you need? They are all different, and sometimes will talk and work together - others times they don't. Then you have the school building itself. That is a government building in most cases, and you have another list of red tape you deal with there. Dumb stuff most of the time since processes and procedures overlap in some areas of government, but you have to do it over for them - or they have to agree with the original report the first group did. It's ridiculous to be honest.

I don't know how bad it will be for this school in Florida, because I'm NOT familiar with their government or politics there. They understandably want to tear down the building this happened in, and replace the building. If I were a betting person? The tear down will be much easier - and faster - than the process to rebuild. It's going to take years, and finding classrooms for replacement for those torn down? It will be a nightmare especially when people start screaming about funding, and how some vendor ripped them off, etc. It will be a nightmare.

The High School my kids went to? The town made sure they had a police officer at the school - in the school - after something happened. They would be there for weeks, because that was the best they could do with all the roadblocks they had for something permanent. They police leave after a couple of weeks. Now at least they only have ONE door that you can get into, and the others are barred so they can't get in. That part was easy. Since the kids aren't there anymore? I can't say that anything has changed, but I get the impression from others it hasn't from neighbors with kids still there.

You see at times it isn't so much they don't WISH to do something its they have no power too. The politicians scream that it is the other side - or some other issue - and yet they also know the process is a nightmare. I don't know WHY people fall for the dramatics they use in times of crisis, but they do. I'm sure its a combination of fear, frustration and angry - all those different things. Those politicians do know how far things will go to fix things, but they aren't going to tell you. It's the nature of the beast.

The availability of weapons also depends on the area(States/Towns/Countries all different rules). Some have stricter rules than others, but as you saw in Florida? Government agencies don't communicate either. The shooting they had at the baseball game for the republicans near Washington DC? That gentleman had domestic violence in his background - along with others issues. That happened in one state, and the shooting/his other issues happened in another. If state/federal agencies talked? He never would got his hands on the guns. Trying to get the agencies to talk? Same nightmare with doing something for the schools comes into place. Good luck to you. It's beyond frustrating!

Our last President TRIED to approach the mental health part, and he ran into so many roadblocks that it made it impossible to achieve. You had parts of government/lobbys from the mental health sectors that fought change, because they felt it would stereotype anyone will any form of mental illness. That's one of many issues. What's sad? The defenders of mental health have a point, but so does the government. Yet, never the two shall meet. The power, money, system of government killed it. I really wish Obama had accomplished it, but if you look at our process? You can understand WHY he didn't. It's gets you angry!

Since it seems almost impossible to get government to get their junk together? Groups start to target other groups, and you have those that say NO guns - than the opposite reaction comes next: From my dead hands you will take it. You start to eat your own, because you have no power to change things. You also can't seem to address the cultural changes that happened that made this nightmare come to light. I'm old and we never had school shootings when I was growing up. Guns were there then too.

People speak of discussions all the time, and yet you bring facts out that someone does like? Some group will hunt you down, and ruin your life. That's acceptable if you offend. There is alot more going on here than the media wants to write about - or let the world know about. I don't even recognize my country anymore. Debate here is dead, because its going to dive into childish and immature stereotypes, name calling, and it causes the divisions to be greater. I see our media as putting gas on the fire too. They eat this stuff up, and that brings their ratings up - thus they make more money! You see they aren't in it for the truth - they like this cash flow.

I really wish it was as simplistic as others have put forth. 'WE THE PEOPLE' could have the power to changes things.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good for him. A gun toting Christian seems to me to be an oxymoron.

What about swords?

4“Now what have you against me, Tyre and Sidon and all you regions of Philistia? Are you repaying me for something I have done? If you are paying me back, I will swiftly and speedily return on your own heads what you have done. 5For you took my silver and my gold and carried off my finest treasures to your temples.b 6You sold the people of Judah and Jerusalem to the Greeks, that you might send them far from their homeland.

7“See, I am going to rouse them out of the places to which you sold them, and I will return on your own heads what you have done. 8I will sell your sons and daughters to the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, a nation far away.” The Lord has spoken.

9Proclaim this among the nations:

Prepare for war!

Rouse the warriors!

Let all the fighting men draw near and attack.

10Beat your plowshares into swords

and your pruning hooks into spears.

Let the weakling say,

“I am strong!”

11Come quickly, all you nations from every side,

and assemble there.

Bring down your warriors, Lord!

12“Let the nations be roused;

let them advance into the Valley of Jehoshaphat,

for there I will sit

to judge all the nations on every side.

13Swing the sickle,

for the harvest is ripe.

Come, trample the grapes,

for the winepress is full

and the vats overflow—

so great is their wickedness!”

14Multitudes, multitudes

in the valley of decision!

For the day of the Lord is near

in the valley of decision.

15The sun and moon will be darkened,

and the stars no longer shine.

16The Lord will roar from Zion

and thunder from Jerusalem;

the earth and the heavens will tremble.

But the Lord will be a refuge for his people,

a stronghold for the people of Israel.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What about swords?

4“Now what have you against me, Tyre and Sidon and all you regions of Philistia? Are you repaying me for something I have done? If you are paying me back, I will swiftly and speedily return on your own heads what you have done. 5For you took my silver and my gold and carried off my finest treasures to your temples.b 6You sold the people of Judah and Jerusalem to the Greeks, that you might send them far from their homeland.

7“See, I am going to rouse them out of the places to which you sold them, and I will return on your own heads what you have done. 8I will sell your sons and daughters to the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, a nation far away.” The Lord has spoken.

Prepare for war!

Rouse the warriors!

Let the weakling say,

“I am strong!”

and assemble there.

for there I will sit

13Swing the sickle,

for the harvest is ripe.

and the vats overflow—

14Multitudes, multitudes

Crikey.

Christians seem quite the warmongers: it certainly sounds as if you could give those no good Islamicalists a run for their money.

Yee ha!

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What about swords?

Prepare for war!

Rouse the warriors!

Let the weakling say,

“I am strong!”

and assemble there.

for there I will sit

13Swing the sickle,

for the harvest is ripe.

and the vats overflow—

14Multitudes, multitudes

So you quote from the bible the biblical god's penchant for violence and slavery and you use that as an endorsement for having instruments of violence in schools?
Yet another Christian suffering from Dirty Harry syndrome.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So you quote from the bible the biblical god's penchant for violence and slavery and you use that as an endorsement for having instruments of violence in schools?
I realize there's a lot of atheists who believe they are mentally superior to all believers by virtue or not believing, but c'mon use your head for once. I'm pointing out that the bibles god isn't the peace loving hippy that people appear to think he is.
Yet another Christian suffering from Dirty Harry syndrome.
Do you always assume that every person who can quote the bible is a christian? Don't you think that's kind of a dumb assumption?

Especially when my profile to the left of my post says I'm an atheist..

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I realize there's a lot of atheists who believe they are mentally superior to all believers by virtue or not believing, but c'mon use your head for once. I'm pointing out that the bibles god isn't the peace loving hippy that people appear to think he is.
Do you always assume that every person who can quote the bible is a christian? Don't you think that's kind of a dumb assumption?

Especially when my profile to the left of my post says I'm an atheist..
My bad. Did rather take it for granted you were a Christian. Should have taken more care and noticed your profile. Sorry!
I don't believe only Christians quote the bible, I do so myself at times and yes, as you said, the god of the bible is not the peace-loving hippy people appear to think it is, not when you read the biblical accounts of the atrocities attributed to this god and his followers. Having said that, many Christians are completely at ease with such accounts, which is something I find difficult to understand.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My bad. Did rather take it for granted you were a Christian. Should have taken more care and noticed your profile. Sorry!
Accepted, sorry for snapping.
I don't believe only Christians quote the bible, I do so myself at times and yes, as you said, the god of the bible is not the peace-loving hippy people appear to think it is, not when you read the biblical accounts of the atrocities attributed to this god and his followers. Having said that, many Christians are completely at ease with such accounts, which is something I find difficult to understand.
Oh I get that completely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm quite sure that you were being jovial. But, I wouldn't want to refer to the Lord that way.

You know, I'm always fascinated by people who are offended by the wrong thing.

Which do you think is more offensive to the name of Christ? A Christian promoting something totally antithetical to the message and character of Jesus, or a non-Christian pointing out just how absurd it is for a Christian to promote something totally antithetical to the message and character of Jesus. Because it would seem you think the latter is more offensive--and that's obviously the wrong thing to be offended by.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which objective standard are you applying in your judgements of God and His followers?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about swords?

Prepare for war!

Rouse the warriors!

Let the weakling say,

“I am strong!”

and assemble there.

for there I will sit

13Swing the sickle,

for the harvest is ripe.

and the vats overflow—

14Multitudes, multitudes

Yeah the world even back then was a dangerous place.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evangelical Pastor: Guns Are Not Christian

If he's saying that guns for hunting, guns for sports use, guns for self-defence, guns for police use, etc. are all unchristian, then I think he's wrong. He may mean that some uses are unchristian, but he doesn't say which.

And the article contains a number of errors. Semi-automatic weapons are not "10%" of the guns in the US. It's actually more like 75%, and rising, because virtually all new weapons are semi-automatic. Possibly he doesn't know what "semi-automatic" means.

And I wouldn't, myself, class Rob Schenck as an Evangelical.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Which objective standard are you applying in your judgements of God and His followers?
Actually, I am applying a very simple and straightforward standard that says genocide is wrong and completely indefensible. The bible gives accounts of the biblical god ordering his followers to completely wipe out a nation, even the nation's animals are not spared. What kind of being would order such a monstrous thing and what kind of person would be capable of carrying out such an order which would involve murdering young children and babies?
I have had Christians, who are not in the least disturbed by these accounts, tell me that their god has the right to do as it pleases and who am I to question god's will. Well, I would question anyone or anything that wills the complete annihilation of a nation's people, men, women, children and infants. Just to remind you, that is called genocide, and as I know that genocide is an inexcusable wrong it is on that basis I judge the biblical god and its followers of that time for their actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I am applying a very simple and straightforward standard that says genocide is wrong and completely indefensible.
Why? What makes you 'god' in this matter. Why do you get to decide what is or is not genocide? What would you call a society which allows millions of babies to be killed in cold blood each year? Is that genocide or a choice? Again, what is your objective moral standard in which you judge the God of the Bible?

The bible gives accounts of the biblical god ordering his followers to completely wipe out a nation, even the nation's animals are not spared. What kind of being would order such a monstrous thing and what kind of person would be capable of carrying out such an order which would involve murdering young children and babies?
Did you ever read those accounts in their historical and theological context? Did you study what those societies were doing to others, themselves, each other and their own children, not to mention animals? Did you study God waited 400 years before enacting the judgment of those nations? Do you know what a "Holy God" means and as such the Creator of all does and will judge, yet always shows longsuffering, kindness, mercy and grace before enacting such justice?

If you study the OT as I have, you will not come away with your theme of a capricious deity.

I have had Christians, who are not in the least disturbed by these accounts, tell me that their god has the right to do as it pleases and who am I to question god's will. Well, I would question anyone or anything that wills the complete annihilation of a nation's people, men, women, children and infants.
As Christians we should be mindful and look on in horror as how entire kingdoms and nations angered a Holy God to the point of the justice He enacted on those nations.

Or is there a serious misunderstanding about God's justice and how much He loves us to the point He offered His only Son Jesus Christ for us all?

Or is there a serious misunderstanding on the whole Creator to created being relationship?

Just to remind you, that is called genocide, and as I know that genocide is an inexcusable wrong it is on that basis I judge the biblical god and its followers of that time for their actions.
Again what give you any right or position to judge God? What objective standard are you applying to Him? A UN resolution? Humanist manifesto? Public opinion?

Isaiah 55: NKJV
6 Seek the Lord while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
Let him return to the Lord,
And He will have mercy on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.

8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor
are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 “For
as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

10 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper
in the thing for which I sent it.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he's saying that guns for hunting, guns for sports use, guns for self-defence, guns for police use, etc. are all unchristian, then I think he's wrong. He may mean that some uses are unchristian, but he doesn't say which.

And the article contains a number of errors. Semi-automatic weapons are not "10%" of the guns in the US. It's actually more like 75%, and rising, because virtually all new weapons are semi-automatic. Possibly he doesn't know what "semi-automatic" means.

And I wouldn't, myself, class Rob Schenck as an Evangelical.
That's right, my son's magazine fed .22 rifle (pea shooter) is considered 'semi-automatic' to most in the gun debate.

He aims at a target, squeezes the trigger bullet comes out hits the target, rifle chambers another round and he is ready to fire another round. No bolt action, no lever action. I had him learn on a Henry .22 rife lever action so he had time to think about his next shot before firing again.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why? What makes you 'god' in this matter. Why do you get to decide what is or is not genocide? What would you call a society which allows millions of babies to be killed in cold blood each year? Is that genocide or a choice? Again, what is your objective moral standard in which you judge the God of the Bible?

Did you ever read those accounts in their historical and theological context? Did you study what those societies were doing to others, themselves, each other and their own children, not to mention animals? Did you study God waited 400 years before enacting the judgment of those nations? Do you know what a "Holy God" means and as such the Creator of all does and will judge, yet always shows longsuffering, kindness, mercy and grace before enacting such justice?

If you study the OT as I have, you will not come away with your theme of a capricious deity.

As Christians we should be mindful and look on in horror as how entire kingdoms and nations angered a Holy God to the point of the justice He enacted on those nations.

Or is there a serious misunderstanding about God's justice and how much He loves us to the point He offered His only Son Jesus Christ for us all?

Or is there a serious misunderstanding on the whole Creator to created being relationship?

Again what give you any right or position to judge God? What objective standard are you applying to Him? A UN resolution? Humanist manifesto? Public opinion?

Isaiah 55: NKJV
6 Seek the Lord while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
Let him return to the Lord,
And He will have mercy on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.

8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor
are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 “For
as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

10 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper
in the thing for which I sent it.
I don't remember writing anything in my post that said I thought I was a god, and I only get to decide that something is genocide and call it such when the purpose of an assault on a nation is to completely exterminate that nation, slaughtering every man woman and child. I don't give a fig about the historical or theological context. Genocide is wrong no matter when it occurs and no matter who instigates the genocide. It seems rather odd that the god you worship was able to tell people that it was wrong to work on a certain day of the week, wrong to wear certain fabrics and wrong to eat certain foods, yet somehow didn't get round to telling people it was wrong to commit genocide.
How would you make out on a killing spree, putting children and babies to the sword all day long?
Would you be able to do so because you believed it was your god's will? What sort of person do you think is capable of such a thing?
You talk about justice, kindness and mercy. How do you equate the wholesale slaughter of men women and children with those qualities? You appear to have as much understanding of the meaning of justice, mercy and kindness, as you have of the meaning of genocide.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember writing anything in my post that said I thought I was a god, and I only get to decide that something is genocide and call it such when the purpose of an assault on a nation is to completely exterminate that nation, slaughtering every man woman and child.
You may not see it but you are sitting in judgment over God. You get to set the conditions and scope of what is or is not genocide. Or once again I will ask, what objective moral standard are you using to judge the One who created you?

I don't give a fig about the historical or theological context.

That is quite obvious since you avoid answering the question of what moral objective standard are you using to put God on trial. I will of course accept "It's my opinion" in which we can end the conversation as your opinion is not objective.

Genocide is wrong no matter when it occurs and no matter who instigates the genocide.
Who says it was genocide? You? Genocide applies to humans killing a lot of other humans and usually based on their ethnicity or national origin.

It seems rather odd that the god you worship was able to tell people that it was wrong to work on a certain day of the week, wrong to wear certain fabrics and wrong to eat certain foods, yet somehow didn't get round to telling people it was wrong to commit genocide.
You left out quite a lot. The Canaaites were roasting their children to death and habitually breaking the Big 10 commandments on a daily basis without a repentant heart. That is why I mentioned if you knew the historical and theological context. You have demonstrated the answer is 'no.'

How would you make out on a killing spree, putting children and babies to the sword all day long?
Would you be able to do so because you believed it was your god's will? What sort of person do you think is capable of such a thing?
Just visit an abortion clinic on its busiest day of the week and you will witness what you judge God for doing.

You talk about justice, kindness and mercy. How do you equate the wholesale slaughter of men women and children with those qualities? You appear to have as much understanding of the meaning of justice, mercy and kindness, as you have of the meaning of genocide.
How do you define Justice, Kindness and Mercy without an objective standard?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here’s one thing all Evangelicals — and Christians of every stripe, actually — hold to be true: humans are sinful. They cannot stop being sinful. They will always be sinful. This is why, according to the Christian gospel, the Father deployed his Son and that Son died; to take the rap for sin. If any human could have found a way to live a perfect life, then that sacrifice would not have been necessary. The sinfulness of all humanity is one of Christianity’s foundational beliefs.

Evangelical Pastor: Guns Are Not Christian

Guns and swords have been a commonplace feature of many Christians lives for most of the churches history. Who you trust to protect you and your family from wild animals, gangs and corrupt government officials is the key question I suppose. I see no need for a gun in the UK or Germany to protect my family and the state has been granted a monopoly of force by the people here. If someone shoots me there is little I can do about it even if I had a gun but was taken by surprise as is usually the case. Americans have never trusted their government to protect peoples lives and have never granted the state a monopoly of force. The responsibility to protect is therefore not the states alone. Also I suppose the abortion genocide could be used as a reason why the state cannot be trusted to protect innocents. So I do not have strong feelings either way. I am a citizen of 2 Kingdoms and most people do not get away with murder in Europe cause the murder clear up rate is good. Also If I or my family are murdered we will be reunited after the resurrection so why should I add to the risk of violence in the culture. The murder rate in both my countries is a fraction of the American one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.