Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, God gives us faith and saves us by His grace: that is the new birth. We don't do good works to get saved; we don't do good works to stay saved; we do good works because we are saved.
I'm not convinced that's the message Jesus gave. Jesus made it quite clear that if we wanted to be saved there were things we needed to do.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not convinced that's the message Jesus gave. Jesus made it quite clear that if we wanted to be saved there were things we needed to do.

Not every becomes aware of spiritual truth. Mormons prefer the writings of Joseph Smith or they wouldn't be a Mormons.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not every becomes aware of spiritual truth. Mormons prefer the writings of Joseph Smith or they wouldn't be a Mormons.
What does Joseph Smith have to do with anything? I was talking about the things Jesus said that are recorded in the New Testament. More than once the New Testament quotes Jesus saying that there are things we have to do if we want to be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What does Joseph Smith have to do with anything? I was talking about the things Jesus said that are recorded in the New Testament. More than once the New Testament quotes Jesus saying that there are things we have to do if we want to be saved.

There are works that God ordained for us to do after He saves us. The natural man can't please God.

Not every person becomes aware of spiritual truth. Mormons prefer the writings of Joseph Smith or they wouldn't be a Mormons.

Jesus came to save SINNERS. The sinners need salvation in order to please God. After God gives them faith, they can do the works He ordained for them to do. Before that that, they can't please Him.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are works that God ordained for us to do after He saves us. The natural man can't please God.

Not every person becomes aware of spiritual truth. Mormons prefer the writings of Joseph Smith or they wouldn't be a Mormons.

Jesus came to save SINNERS. The sinners need salvation in order to please God. After God gives them faith, they can do the works He ordained for them to do. Before that that, they can't please Him.
Matthew 25 quotes Jesus as saying:

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

So this was all a description of what the people on His right hand would naturally do once they were saved? And what the people on His left hand couldn't do, because they weren't saved? I have a very hard time buying that. It looks pretty clear to me that Jesus is saying that if you want to be on His right hand when "the Son of man shall come in his glory," you'd better treat "the least of these" our brethren like we would treat Jesus.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this was all a description of what the people on His right hand would naturally do once they were saved? And what the people on His left hand couldn't do, because they weren't saved? I have a very hard time buying that. It looks pretty clear to me that Jesus is saying that if you want to be on His right hand when "the Son of man shall come in his glory," you'd better treat "the least of these" our brethren like we would treat Jesus.

There are those who do these things to "the least of these". That doesn't necessarily mean they are saved, because they do not accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
25 quotes Jesus as saying:

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

You seem to think that God gives people dead faith. That isn't possible. Dead faith is not faith and God's gifts are good and perfect.

Romans 8
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You seem to think that God gives people dead faith. That isn't possible. Dead faith is not faith and God's gifts are good and perfect.
Then if we have to have living faith in order to be saved, and living faith means we do good works, then what does it hurt to say that we need to do good works in order to be saved? I honestly don't see a huge difference between the LDS and traditional Christian position on whether or not works are required. Clearly faith that will produce the good works are required, so what's the big deal about saying that good works are required?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums