May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,109.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
357719-9f9b44db7403b04fe80cc4e61c176f68.jpg

When I bought a car I asked the salesman what that little thing in this picture is (the thing on the front bumper that I circled in red). He said he didn't know what it was because it's not functional on cars sold in America, but that it was for some purpose required on cars sold in Europe. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Sorry this picture looks smaller here than when I found it online (not my car), but maybe you can tell what I'm talking about from the location on the bumper.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,109.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The photo loses resolution when I try to expand it. Could it possibly be a tow hook for a plug for where a tow hook would go if one was installed?
Actually I came across a web page which seemed to say something about that, but I can't understand how a car could be towed in such an asymmetrical fashion. Wouldn't a tow hook need to be in the center of the bumper?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
357719-9f9b44db7403b04fe80cc4e61c176f68.jpg

When I bought a car I asked the salesman what that little thing in this picture is (the thing on the front bumper that I circled in red). He said he didn't know what it was because it's not functional on cars sold in America, but that it was for some purpose required on cars sold in Europe. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Sorry this picture looks smaller here than when I found it online (not my car), but maybe you can tell what I'm talking about from the location on the bumper.
If it is a disk in the bumper, which it seems to be, it may be radar device for measuring distance to the vehicle in front. I have a VW with the same thing. It's used by active cruise control to match the speed of the vehicle in front.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
If it is a disk in the bumper, which it seems to be, it may be radar device for measuring distance to the vehicle in front. I have a VW with the same thing. It's used by active cruise control to match the speed of the vehicle in front.

A bit risky if the vehicle in front is speeding.

"Not my fault Gov".

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,109.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is a tow hook useful for attaching a tow strap to snatch a stuck car out of a ditch, mud, or snow. You are correct it wouldn't be useful for highway towing. Here is a link you may find helpful.
Putting it off-center just seems like a bad idea even for that kind of pulling.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,109.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. I'd never heard of active cruise control.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting. I'd never heard of active cruise control.
It's good in heavy traffic. You can be going quite quickly on the freeway when a traffic jam is up ahead. I can set the follow distance. My car just stays that distance whatever speed I've set. In 5 years it may have saved me a nose to tail bump. It can slam on the brakes if necessary. And it's good deal faster than my reaction time.

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0