Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Adoration is the service due to God, whereby we acknowledge Him as the Lord and Father of all things and we as His lowly servants and adopted children. We do not think of ourselves during adoration but only of God, because the act of adoration is due not to us but to God: It is only that, because we are His servants and sons, we so adore Him. If it weren't the case, we wouldn't.

Jesus Christ is Perfect God and Perfect Man. He is the Lord, Son of God, God the Son and He is the New Adam, Head of mankind, Model of Holiness. His Natures are united in His Person, neither mixed nor combined nor joined in any other way. Because Christ is God, His Humanity is in the image of His Divinity, whereby He as Man looked as God: hence He told the Apostles that whoever sees the Son sees the Father. Furthermore, because Jesus is God, His Humanity obeys His Divinity perfectly, whereby whatever He dose and says as Man, it is God who dose and says, ergo He has perfect self-control. Finally, because God Incarnate is God, we can rest assured that when we adore Jesus, we do adoration to God and not a mere creature nor a demigod nor an angel nor a spirit nor power nor symbol nor mythology.

Because Jesus is the Eucharist, we adore the Eucharist, whereby we adore Jesus. Just as in Jesus we adore God, so in the Eucharist we adore Jesus. We do not adore bread and wine because they do not exist anymore: Only Jesus exists! We cannot adore that which dose not exist, for, not existing anymore, there is no object to render adoration to. The bread and wine do not exist when Jesus dose: At His words, He transforms the bread and wine into Himself: They are not Him nor He them but rather they have become Him, whereby they no longer exist and He dose. God cannot change His Nature, so He cannot change into bread or wine: Yet He can change bread and wine into God, because these things are not perfect and He Himself is.

Yet some wish to adore the appearance of bread and wine, that is, they wish to adore the sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound of bread and wine even if bread and wine no longer exist, for Jesus is there under the appearance of bread wine. Adoration of bread and wine is not adoration of God, for it is misguided and faithless: Yet adoration of God under the appearance of bread and wine is adoration of God, for it is guided by God's words and full of faith. A man cannot tell us God is in a toy truck because God did not say, "This toy truck is My Body and Blood": Adoration of the Eucharist is due not to some silly belief but to the words of the Word: The Word Incarnate is God Incarnate, so when He says "This is Body and Blood" it is so!

Last edited:

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would God contadict Himself by entering material objects?

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 6
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”
61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only the appearance of Bread and Wine remain according to Catholic theology. Jesus himself is present though the appearance of bread and wine are still there thus it is Jesus Christ being adored, and not the bread and wine; it becomes the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

"The Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
--"The Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands
well Jesus lived in a house, I assume that the house He lived in was made by human hands

the Eucharist is not an idol, we do not make gods, we make bread and wine, and God turns it into Jesus
" Because Jesus is the Eucharist ... "

Could you explain this in more detail? How? When? By whom? What? I don't want to comment on something until you've expanded the thought, so's not to go off on a rabbit trail.
when blessed by a ordained priest in a church with Apostolic Authority (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Orinetal Orthodox, but not Anglican though)
the bread and wine are no longer bread and wine at all but are rather the Body Blood Soul and Divinity of Christ
Is adoration another word for worship?
yes, adoration is another word for worship, like song "oh come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord

"The Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands
not an idol

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious, how do you know for sure?
faith
faith in the Bible, sure Jesus used metaphores about being a vine, and a door, but Jesus was a good speaker right? He knew that you do not use the saaaaaaame metaphore over and over and over agian, unless it is more then just a metaphore, he even had people leave because "this is a hard teaching" that seems rather serious

faith in the Church, the Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox, the Coptic Church broke away in the year A.D. 451, that is very early, and they agree that the Eucharist is the Body of Christ
I do not think that Christ would let His Church teach such a horrible error for so very long

for the record the EO and OO do not observe the practice of Eucharistic Adoration

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP was written as though this adoration takes place during the Eucharist (liturgy, Mass). Because the whole service is about worshipping God (hence we often call it a "worship service"), this doesn't seem too controversial, at least not a lot moreso than the idea called transubstantiation itself.

But the practice called "Solemn Benediction" involves taking an already-consecrated host (wafer), not using it during the Communion, but instead reserving it for the purpose of being adored or worshipped apart from the Mass. It is therefore placed in a special container ("monstrance") in which the host is visible though a small window, and the container is placed upon an altar so that the people come to kneel before it and worship the host.

That practice raises questions that go beyond what is done at Mass.

The Articles of Religion condemn this solemn benediction as improper in as much as Christ did not ordain the practice of using the elements (bread and wine) elsewhere, apart from the Lord's Supper. This is an issue that is quite separate from how the worshipper defines the nature of the bread/body he is viewing.

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I hate it when I have to agree with Albion. It's true that nowhere in the Scriptures does it indicate that it is proper to (mis)use the Eucharist in this manner. It also seems that since the EO and OO neither condone this that the practice had to be a much later invention and not based in Apostolic Tradition. In fact, at least in the EO, I'm unsure about the OO, the host is put in the chalice with the wine and given to the communicant on a spoon so the Priest can make sure it is consumed that very moment and not "reserved" for some other use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hate it when I have to agree with Albion. It's true that nowhere in the Scriptures does it indicate that it is proper to (mis)use the Eucharist in this manner. It also seems that since the EO and OO neither condone this that the practice had to be a much later invention and not based in Apostolic Tradition. In fact, at least in the EO, I'm unsure about the OO, the host is put in the chalice with the wine and given to the communicant on a spoon so the Priest can make sure it is consumed that very moment and not "reserved" for some other use.
I do not think the Catholic Church claims that this devotion is from apostolic origens, but then agian the Catholic Church can understand that things change and does not pretend that nothing at all has ever changed like some in the EO do

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
faith
he even had people leave because "this is a hard teaching" that seems rather serious
You think thats why they left? funny, how did Peter respond when Christ asked if he too wanted to leave?

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I found this on Wiki, it does seem to have some Pre Schism roots

The practice of adoration traces its roots to the fact that in monasteries and convents the Blessed Sacrament was an integral part of the structure of cloistered life.[citation needed] From the beginning of community life the unconsecrated bread and wine were originally kept in a special room, just off the sanctuary but separated from the church where the Divine Liturgy or Mass was offered, stemming from the standard practice of having a skeuophylakion which was found in cathedral and parish churches, an architecturally separate building or room where the deacons prepared the bread and wine before the liturgy in a service developed in the East called the proskomedia.
One of the first possible references to reserving the Blessed Sacrament for adoration is found in a life of St. Basil (who died in 379). Basil is said to have divided the Eucharistic Bread into three parts when he celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the monastery. One part he consumed, the second part he gave to the monks, and the third he placed in a golden dove suspended over the altar.[1] It is more likely, however, that this separate portion was simply for the purpose of reserving the sacrament for distribution in contexts in which a communicant could not attend the Divine Liturgy, which is a standard practice throughout the ancient churches, even those who do not practice extra-liturgical Eucharistic adoration. In Eastern Christianity, the sort of extra-liturgical adoration which developed in the West has never been part of the Eastern liturgy which St. Basil celebrated, but a liturgy for adoration does exist, involving psalms and placing a covered diskos with the Sacred Species on the altar. This is befitting the Eastern custom of veiling those things deemed sacred from human eyes.[2]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Adoration is the service due to God, whereby we acknowledge Him as the Lord and Father of all things and we as His lowly servants and adopted children. We do not think of ourselves during adoration but only of God, because the act of adoration is due not to us but to God: It is only that, because we are His servants and sons, we so adore Him. If it weren't the case, we wouldn't.

Jesus Christ is Perfect God and Perfect Man. He is the Lord, Son of God, God the Son and He is the New Adam, Head of mankind, Model of Holiness. His Natures are united in His Persons, neither mixed nor combined nor joined in any other way. Because Christ is God, His Humanity was created in the image of His Divinity, whereby He as Man looked as God: hence He told the Apostles that whoever sees the Son sees the Father. Furthermore, because Jesus is God, His Humanity obeys His Divinity perfectly, whereby whatever He dose and says as Man, it is God who dose and says, ergo He has perfect self-control. Finally, because God Incarnate is God, we can rest assured that when we adore Jesus, we do adoration to God and not a mere creature nor a demigod nor an angel nor a spirit nor power nor symbol nor mythology.

Because Jesus is the Eucharist, we adore the Eucharist, whereby we adore Jesus. Just as in Jesus we adore God, so in the Eucharist we adore Jesus. We do not adore bread and wine because they do not exist anymore: Only Jesus exists! We cannot adore that which dose not exist, for, not existing anymore, there is no object to render adoration to. The bread and wine do not exist when Jesus dose: At His words, He transforms the bread and wine into Himself: They are not Him nor He them but rather they have become Him, whereby they no longer exist and He dose. God cannot change His Nature, so He cannot change into bread or wine: Yet He can change bread and wine into God, because these things are not perfect and He Himself is.

Yet some wish to adore the appearance of bread and wine, that is, they wish to adore the sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound of bread and wine even if bread and wine no longer exist, for Jesus is there under the appearance of bread wine. Adoration of bread and wine is not adoration of God, for it is misguided and faithless: Yet adoration of God under the appearance of bread and wine is adoration of God, for it is guided by God's words and full of faith. A man cannot tell us God is in a toy truck because God did not say, "This toy truck is My Body and Blood": Adoration of the Eucharist is due not to some silly belief but to the words of the Word: The Word Incarnate is God Incarnate, so when He says "This is Body and Blood" it is so!

It was against Levitical law to eat blood.

Lev 17;14 For the life of every creature is its blood: its blood is its life. Therefore I have said to the people of Israel, You shall not eat the blood of any creature, for the life of every creature is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off.

Acts 15;20 but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood.

Just sayin...:)

Upvote 0