• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Eucharist: the power of spilt blood?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by escapee, Aug 18, 2019.

1. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    When Jesus institutes the Holy Eucarist at the Last Supper, He puts the bread in the hand of Judas, none of the other 11, then goes and spills His Blood on the Ccross, to complete the cup.

Then this concludes with the spilling of Judas' blood, which Judas wanted to avoid with his hanging rope but failed.

So, what is the meaning of the spilt blood of Judas?

I speculate, that the meaning is, that when you have rejected the Lord Jesus Christ, then you realize your error, but misused or forgot the Sacrament of the Eucharist, then you can spill your own blood, to get rid of all your impurities, and finally replace yours with the Blood of Jesus.

Your thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,733
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    When we are "born again" this is the beginning of our new body in the New Heaven and New Earth. So when we have the Eucharist and perceive Jesus in it, it nourishes this nature that comes from God within us.

If someone takes the Eucharist and is not born again, different effect.

3. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, and that different effect is the cases of Judas, and the interesting completion of the Bible's Eucharist story. Let's discover this final part of the Eucharist.

4. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,733
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The final part is it brings about sickness and death, because the gospel is as death to those who are perishing. But eternal life to all who believe.

5. Tigger45

Tigger45 The Good Shepherd Supporter

+7,415
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Only Jesus’ blood saves.

6. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Jesus also says, that for such a man, it is better never have been born. So, are we discovering, that in addition to the choice of being reborn in Babtism, we also have the choice of being unborn?

7. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,677
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm just curious do you believe in the Bible?

8. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, everything that I write, I write it out of what I read in the Bible.

9. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Here is another interesting aspect. At the last supper, Jesus told Judas, to do it quickly. But at that time, the devil was already inside judas, because Jesus has already given him the bread. So that conversation was between Jesus and the devil, not judas. Interesting is, that Jesus considers that the devil usually dishes out long and slow suffering. By telling the devil to do it quickly, Jesus instructs the devil to consider God's Mercy.

10. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,278
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Only if Judas did replace his blood.

11. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes indeed, that is the responsibility of Judas, and the Bible doesn't say if he actually did that last step. A possible clue is that some of the 4 Gospels don't mention a rope, so judas has cut himself which may mean his motivation to do so.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    You linked it to the view of the Eucharist which holds that the blood of Christ is literally, physically, blood, did you not? Or was I mistaken about that?

13. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Here is another possibility.

The devil is an imitator.

A day after Jesus was hanged on the Cross, the devil hangs Judas on his "cross" that is some crooked tree.

But the bread that Jesus puts into the hand of Judas directly, puts a different substance into the imitation, if this is an imitation.

Jesus did not put the bread into the hands of the other 11, they helped themselves. But Judas got his directly from Jesus.

So, maybe a speculation can be constructed, that that piece of bread represents also, that God/Jesus assigned Judas for this dirty work before creation, rehearsed through the Old Testament prophecies, and is now providing a way back to Himself with that bread, after Judas' blood shed.

14. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I am not familiar with all the various denomination beliefs. To me it looks like real blood the completes the cup exercise, which starts with the wine at dinner and ends with the blood next afternoon.

15. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,278
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    As the body rots, the rope does not hold.

16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    That does put things into a different focus. Thanks for the clarification.

17. escapee

escapee Member

+47
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    But this happened the same day.

18. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,101
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I don't see any spiritual significance at all in the death of Judas, except that he exemplifies a person who is overcome with remorse about it betrayal of Jesus, but did not have the faith to repent in the same way that Peter did. Both betrayed Jesus in a sense, and both suffered the same deep remorse over what they did, but Peter repented and was forgiven, while Judas did not and went and hanged himself.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Eucharist at all; but it does show that no matter how bad the sin, repentance and faith brings forgiveness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,950
    Anglican
    Married
    I am in sympathy with the thrust of your post. There was someone who facilitated the arrest of Jesus, because of the inability of the Romans to make a firm identification of him (or so we are told). And Judas appears to be an Apostle on whom the Messiah-ship of Christ didn't "take," but we have to be cautious about making his role into some mystical key to understanding the relationship of man to God or the central figure in the meaning of the Lord's s Supper or anything else like that.

20. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+4,529
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Mark tells us that Jesus said, " one who dips bread into the bowl with me", Mark 14:20
    Matthew says, "the one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me", Matthew 26:23
    So neither say that Jesus put the bread into Judas' hand.

How do we know that he chose hanging to avoid spilling his blood?

No meaning at all, as far as I can see. Judas betrayed Jesus and then took his own life.

Apart from the fact that that is speculation and gives Judas' blood a meaning which Scripture does not give; that suggests that we can get rid of our own sins, get rid of our own impurities and replace them with Christ's blood, which is not possible. It is God who convicts us of sin and then removes it.
    The "sacrament of the Eucharist" did not exist then; Jesus told us to take bread and wine to remember him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List