Not open for further replies.

Defender of the Faith 777

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Originally posted by isshinwhat
I cannot judge you. All I can do is teach you what the faith you left actually teaches, which in some cases is different than you believe it does. I would rather you have an honest, deep, lived, loving understanding of Christ, our relationship with Him, and our relationship to him in His Body, in a Protestant Congregation, than a dead, unloving, routine religious life as a Catholic. But I also want you to understand the faith you left.

God Bless,

Neal

THat post was slightly penetrating. It is true that in this church, I do honestly believe and feel genuine love and, most importantly, I finally do see Christianity for what it is: not a religion, a relationship. I do maintain that honestly I do understand what you do believe, I simply do not agree with your interpretations. TTYL Jesus lvoes you!

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by humblejoe
The only problem with this jukes, is that protestants hardly ever offer communion. Most churches that I've attended only offer it biannually or quarterly. That makes it extremely difficult to receive. And for a person such as me who is considering Catholicism, I am very timid to take protestant communion.

that's for sure, I have been a VERY active member of my baptist church for 3 years now, Not once have I had the lords supper there.

They do it only on Sunday nights,  once a quarter or less.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I do maintain that honestly I do understand what you do believe, I simply do not agree with your interpretations.

From statements like this, I do not believe you do.

Since you must be a Catholic to partake of the Eucharist communion, then yes, it seems that all Protestants such as ourselves, are imminently doomed for hell.

Or is there a contradiction?

Just keep your ears open, your eyes on Christ, and your feet on His path, and you will be guided.

God bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
It is true that in this church, I do honestly believe and feel genuine love and, most importantly, I finally do see Christianity for what it is: not a religion, a relationship.

Exactly! It is a family... God, Himself is a family. The Saints are our brothers and sisters in the one Church... Death cannot divide us... Hate... Evil... Nothing. We are unite in Christ. Our religion is a family.  There doesn't have to be a dichotomy there.  :)  Covenant theology is amazing to me. Hebrews 12 is enough to keep one befuddled for ages. :)

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From statements like this, I do not believe you do.

Just keep your ears open, your eyes on Christ, and your feet on His path, and you will be guided.

God bless,

Neal

"Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for cigars!"

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by humblejoe
The only problem with this jukes, is that protestants hardly ever offer communion. Most churches that I've attended only offer it biannually or quarterly. That makes it extremely difficult to receive. And for a person such as me who is considering Catholicism, I am very timid to take protestant communion.

I see your point, humblejoe.  I think the belief in sola fide and sola scriptura have lessened the meaning of Communion (and also Baptism) in the protestant community.  But, I could be wrong..... 

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Defender of the Faith 777
Since you must be a Catholic to partake of the Eucharist communion, then yes, it seems that all Protestants such as ourselves, are imminently doomed for hell.

Or is there a contradiction?

Well, other non-Catholics like Orthodox can partake in a Catholic Eucharist.

In anycase, I think the important part is what's in the person's heart: If the believer refuses to partake in the Eucharist, then there's a problem.

But that's not to say that the bread and wine is to be taken lightly (1 Cor 11:27 comes to mind).

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Exactly! It is a family... God, Himself is a family. The Saints are our brothers and sisters in the one Church... Death cannot divide us... Hate... Evil... Nothing. We are unite in Christ. Our religion is a family.  There doesn't have to be a dichotomy there.  :)  Covenant theology is amazing to me. Hebrews 12 is enough to keep one befuddled for ages. :)

God Bless,

Neal

Hey Neal,

Have you been reading Hahn's book (A Father Who Keeps His Promises)? =)

It's great isn't it?? =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by jukesk9
I see your point, humblejoe.  I think the belief in sola fide and sola scriptura have lessened the meaning of Communion (and also Baptism) in the protestant community.  But, I could be wrong..... 

As a protestant, I honestly don't see how sola scriptura takes away the meaning of Communion. In fact I think sola scriptura gives support for the Catholic Eucharist =P

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I guess my thinking is along the lines that more emphasis is placed on faith rather than ritual. Therefore, I figured that is why Communion is offered far less in protestant churches than in the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by jukesk9
Well, I guess my thinking is along the lines that more emphasis is placed on faith rather than ritual. Therefore, I figured that is why Communion is offered far less in protestant churches than in the Catholic Church.

Hey Jukesk9,

How do you define 'ritual'?

Also, how did you get so many 'blessing points'?? =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Hoonbaba
Hey Jukesk9,

How do you define 'ritual'?

Also, how did you get so many 'blessing points'?? =)

God bless!

-Jason

I don't know how I define ritual.  Maybe a poor choice of wording but what I was getting at is from my knowledge of protestants, and I certainly could be wrong here, is that protestantism seems to frown on the structure of the Catholic Mass; it seems "ritualistic" to them.  It's the same thing every week (the Mass) in the eyes of protestantism.  Therefore, in an attempt to reinforce the idea of salvation by faith alone and not works, they distance themselves from any structure of the Catholic Mass; hence Communion is served quarterly in most protestant churches.  Again, I could be wrong here.  That is just my take.

I don't know how I got all those points!  But, we're (mods that is) are supposed to give 'em out to helpful and kind members so here you go!

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how I got all those points! But, we're (mods that is) are supposed to give 'em out to helpful and kind members so here you go!

/me smiles at jukes and tries to remember to be charming...

Is that why I don't have *ANY*, Mr Moderator, sir? *big perky cheerleader smile*

Hey, Jason! Share the wealth, buddy. :) I love giving away blessings, but I haven't had any for a while now. :cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
jukes, I'll agree with your statement about "distancing", but I believe a more openly accepted reason is that they simply do not view it as a sacrament in the Catholic sense. It is not as pressing an issue. It does not add to salvation. It is simply a remembrance, albeit a special one. For this same reason, Protestants do not make holy baptismal water available for people to use to "remember their baptism". It is simply not viewed as significantly as it is in the Catholic Church. I hope that sheds some light.

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Guys I think cleon has everyone punchy w need to relax and take what people post for what it is without reading into it. :)

I have to say that I have over the years recieved communion in many different churches. RC, Orthodox, Baptist, Methodist, etc. and I have to say, that there have been times even in prot churches that I have known that when I recieved that bread it was real even if just for me.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Br. Max
Guys I think cleon has everyone punchy w need to relax and take what people post for what it is without reading into it. :)

I have to say that I have over the years recieved communion in many different churches. RC, Orthodox, Baptist, Methodist, etc. and I have to say, that there have been times even in prot churches that I have known that when I recieved that bread it was real even if just for me.

o_O?  How did you manage to partake in a Roman Catholic or Orthodox Communion if you're not Catholic :scratch:

-Jason

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Hoonbaba: They don't check badges or anything like that to make sure you're Catholic before you get the wafer. Theoretically anyone can go up there and get the communion if they really want to. If you read the "extra eucharist question" thread I posted a while back, an athiest/agnostic managed to procure a wafer (accidentally).

-Chris

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by ZooMom
/me smiles at jukes and tries to remember to be charming...

Is that why I don't have *ANY*, Mr Moderator, sir? *big perky cheerleader smile*

Hey, Jason! Share the wealth, buddy. :) I love giving away blessings, but I haven't had any for a while now. :cry:

Oh, that perky cheerleader smile reminds me of your wonderful bartending skills in the pub.  Here ya go!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.