a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I am curious. I am a baptized member of the RCC, I take eucharist weekly. Never forget, pray the rosary everyday. I was wondering if it is ok to take a eucharist at an EO church just to expereince it?

Is this typically the same valid eucharist? or would this be 'mixing' so to say..

Well, the motivation "just to expereince it" is not a good motivation at all to take the Eucharist.

Surely you would had meant to experience the Bizantine worship, attending a Liturgy :thumbsup: . That is a nice idea.

About validity, EO and OO have absolutly valid Eucharist. :bow:
And the Body of Christ is exactly the same in all Masses or Liturgies of whichever rite.

Anyway please remember that the EO do not like to share with us the Eucharist because we are not in union. So it is not kind to ask for it. If you do, the EO priest will say you no in the 99.9999% of the cases; (perhaps the only positive cases if there is a actual real need, like you are near the death without any possibility to get it elsewhere).

On the contrary the EO and OO can take the communion in the CC churches with the same conditions of catholics: even if it is always advised to attend the own churches, if there are not some reasons.

I remind you that there are many Eastern Catholics that use the Bizantine rite in the US (here some links of EC of Bizantine rite http://www.byzcath.org/ or http://www.melkite.org/ or ,there are also EC of OO rites as http://www.stmaron.org/eparchy.html, http://www.syriac-catholic.org/, and even of Chadean rite): there you can not only attend a Liturgy (valid for the Sunday), but also take the Communion.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Orthodox Church guards the chalice very closely. The general practice is for a visitor to talk to the priest prior to receiving communion in a different church. We do not generally commune Catholics and priests have been known to deny people communion during the Divine Liturgy.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Illicit?

Tonks ideas about that are not the official ones of the CC.

The officicial position is that EO/OO Eucharist is both valid and licit.

Eucharist of some other schismatic groups like SSPX are valid but illicit (illicit=against the canon law, =should not have been celebrated)

Lutheran Eucharist is simply not valid due to the lack of apostolic succession, so we cannot speak of licit/illicit

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was always taught that celebrating the Eucharist was celebrating our unity in God.

Since the EO and RCC churches are still separated, I was taught that it would be inappropriate for a person of one denomination to receive Eucharist at the other's services because (let's see if I can remember the exact words) "it would imply a unity that unfortunately does not exist" I think was the phrase used.

So, while I don't know if it is wrong or whatever, I do know it is not encouraged.

Just what I've heard on the matter.

Metherion

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was always taught that celebrating the Eucharist was celebrating our unity in God.

Since the EO and RCC churches are still separated, I was taught that it would be inappropriate for a person of one denomination to receive Eucharist at the other's services because (let's see if I can remember the exact words) "it would imply a unity that unfortunately does not exist" I think was the phrase used.

So, while I don't know if it is wrong or whatever, I do know it is not encouraged.

Just what I've heard on the matter.

Metherion
This is exactly right.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering if it is ok to take a eucharist at an EO church just to expereince it?
No. You are not Orthodox, therefore no Orthodox communion.

However, at the end of the Liturgy, the priest holds the cross and people go up to kiss it. Next to the priest, somebody (usually a reader) will be holding this bowl of Prospora (sp?) which is blessed bread. Non-Orthodox, I've been told, are welcome to take a piece of the blessed bread or two, but only Orthodox can receive the actual Eucharist.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No. You are not Orthodox, therefore no Orthodox communion.

However, at the end of the Liturgy, the priest holds the cross and people go up to kiss it. Next to the priest, somebody (usually a reader) will be holding this bowl of Prospora (sp?) which is blessed bread. Non-Orthodox, I've been told, are welcome to take a piece of the blessed bread or two, but only Orthodox can receive the actual Eucharist.
And conversely so, although the Catholic Church will allow an Orthodox to receive the Eucharist if there is no valid Orthodox Eucharistic service available, since both communions consider each other's Eucharist to be both valid and licit. We do not intercommunion because to do so would presuppose a union that does not yet exist (again).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And conversely so, although the Catholic Church will allow an Orthodox to receive the Eucharist if there is no valid Orthodox Eucharistic service available, since both communions consider each other's Eucharist to be both valid and licit. We do not intercommunion because to do so would presuppose a union that does not yet exist (again).
Exactly! Except in Catholic Canon Law, it says that Orthodox may receive Communion in the Catholic church if the priest or bishop says it is ok. Which usually they do not.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
And conversely so, although the Catholic Church will allow an Orthodox to receive the Eucharist if there is no valid Orthodox Eucharistic service available, since both communions consider each other's Eucharist to be both valid and licit.

Technically an EO is allowed to take the Communion in a Catholic Church not only when there is not a valid Orthodox Eucharistic service available, but simply with the same rules applicable to catholics (fast, no sins, respect, will).

The point is that the EOs see in this opening an attack to their faith (almost everything the CC does is seen as an attach to their faith), so the CC prefers to underline that it is not constructive to share the Communion.

Exactly! Except in Catholic Canon Law, it says that Orthodox may receive Communion in the Catholic church if the priest or bishop says it is ok. Which usually they do not.

Did you found a catholic priest who denied you the Communion because you are Orthodox?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.