Eucharist as a Sacrifice - still struggling with this?

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟401,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholicism and Orthodoxy seem pretty similar on the Eucharist being the Sacrifice of Jesus, and offered to God on our behalf.

Is the teaching that Jesus is still offering himself as a sacrifice, or is it that He did on the cross, and we are back in time sharing in that.

I pretty much loose interest in writings of the fathers after the second century on issues like this, as I'm really looking for "close to the source" clarity - does such a thing exists?

Hebrews 7:27 seems to not fit with this so well for me:

27 He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Catholicism and Orthodoxy seem pretty similar on the Eucharist being the Sacrifice of Jesus, and offered to God on our behalf.

Is the teaching that Jesus is still offering himself as a sacrifice, or is it that He did on the cross, and we are back in time sharing in that.

I pretty much loose interest in writings of the fathers after the second century on issues like this, as I'm really looking for "close to the source" clarity - does such a thing exists?

27 He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
Lord Jesus said that we should celebrate in order to remember. Remembering is about something that has happened. I agree with you - we rejoice in the finished work of Christ, not something yet to be completed.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

the teaching as far as I can understand is that the sacrifice is eternal and outside of time, so when we partake of the eternal Christ, we step outside of time, not back in time.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
the teaching as far as I can understand is that the sacrifice is eternal and outside of time, so when we partake of the eternal Christ, we step outside of time, not back in time.

Precisely and that's how the Catholic church considers it too. Time is an earthbound concept. God is above time and space, thus Christs sacrifice should be understood as a neverending love sacrifice.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That’s an interesting perspective. Ive often wondered if by choosing to refrain from sin now and in the future if we could lessen Christ’s suffering on the cross or the amount of sin He had to bear in the past.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Is there anything in Scripture that points to it as eternal, and not completed?

Scripture seems more to refer to it as something completed, and he now sits at the right hand of God.

Not that I can come up with on the top of my head. Though one could argue that the new testament speaks to mankind which is still under the rule of time.
I dont know if it makes sense, but those who read scripture always has always had a linear understanding of time or the chronology of occurrences throughout the history.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not that I can come up with on the top of my head. Though one could argue that the new testament speaks to mankind which is still under the rule of time. I dont know if it makes sense, but those who read scripture always have had a linear understanding of time or the chronology of occurrences throughout the history.

I’m not officially Orthodox and I hope it’s ok if I say this but if I’m not mistaken the Greek word aiṓnios (eternal) can also mean for all time, since the world began, or even in past or future times.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I’m not officially Orthodox and I hope it’s ok if I say this but if I’m not mistaken the Greek word aiṓnios (eternal) can also mean for all time, since the world began, or even in past or future times.

Dont worry, neither am I. Yes, you're correct about the greek. That's actually one of the most common variations when it comes to different translations of scripture. Because of the ambiguity attached to the word it's hard to use it as any kind of evidence either way.
The explanation I'm providing is close to the scholastic articulation of philosophy of religion.

You know as catholics and orthodox we're not bound by Sola Scriptura. It's nice to have scriptural support backing our theology, but it isnt strictly necessary

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Scripture seems more to refer to it as something completed, and he now sits at the right hand of God.

I think along the lines as Christ is our Passover ( or Pascha) but we are still passing through (1 Corinthians 5:7).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dont worry, neither am I. Yes, you're correct about the greek. That's actually one of the most common variations when it comes to different translations of scripture. Because of the ambiguity attached to the word it's hard to use it as any kind of evidence either way.
The explanation I'm providing is close to the scholastic articulation of philosophy of religion.

You know as catholics and orthodox we're not bound by Sola Scriptura. It's nice to have scriptural support backing our theology, but it isnt strictly necessary

I’ve been in a debate about sola scriptura and church tradition and just yesterday decided to abandon the argument when the opposition rejected the idea that much of the scriptures were written based on divine revelation. If they couldn’t acknowledge that then I didn’t see any point in continuing the discussion.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I’ve been in a debate about sola scriptura and church tradition and just yesterday decided to abandon the argument when the opposition rejected the idea that much of the scriptures were written based on divine revelation. If they couldn’t acknowledge that then I didn’t see any point in continuing the discussion.

I didn't quite understand your comment. Could you please elaborate, I'm a tad slow at times :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It is completed. The Eucharist is outside space and time, so we can still participate in it eternally - it “makes present” that sacrifice. It is similar to the OT Passover - it was made present “Anamnesis”, not repeated. It is, however, truly the body and blood of Christ - the bloodless sacrifice. It is the same sacrifice that was already completed once and for all, made present through the Eucharist.

ETA: Scripture says that Jesus is our Passover, our pasch, so that connection is a Biblical concept.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@Markie Boy Just to make it clear, even though we uphold and adhere to Holy Tradition (of which Scripture is the central part), we cannot contradict it. Scripture is like the center diamond in a setting of beautiful gemstones - it is at the core of Holy Tradition.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

It was once explained that the language of 1 Corinthians 11:24 is ἀνάμνησιν, which is translated into English as remembrance, goes a lot further than just a mere remembering a past event. It's as-if you are there, full participation in the event.
wikipedia says it this way: "This memorial aspect is not simply a passive process but one by which the Christian can actually enter into the Paschal mystery."

Agree. It was mentioned in our Bible study last week, something I had not noticed before; in the prayers at the Anaphora we remember the saving acts of Christ:
Remembering this saving commandment and all those things which have come to pass for us: the Cross, the Tomb, the Resurrection on the third day, the Ascension into heaven, the Sitting at the right hand, and the second and glorious Coming.”

The thing of note, we are "remembering" the second glorious Coming. How so? Because in the Divine Liturgy we are outside of time constraints.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is completed. The Eucharist is outside space and time, so we can still participate in it eternally - it “makes present” that sacrifice. It is similar to the OT Passover - it was made present “Anamnesis”, not repeated. It is, however, truly the body and blood of Christ - the bloodless sacrifice. It is the same sacrifice that was already completed once and for all, made present through the Eucharist.

ETA: Scripture says that Jesus is our Passover, our pasch, so that connection is a Biblical concept.
IMHO, the heart of the issue here is whether or not the benefits of a sacrifice come from each mass or Divine Liturgy.

In the OT a victim was literally sacrificed and doing that was believed to effect something. They didn't sacrifice the same victim more than once, for obvious reasons. We may talk about timelessness and all of that, but does each Communion service today accomplish that same thing...or not?

If "yes" then doesn't this mean Christ IS believed to have been slain and offered up once again and that this is not just a "re-presenting" of the original sacrifice of the Cross to the Father (if that even makes sense)?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't quite understand your comment. Could you please elaborate, I'm a tad slow at times :)

I agree that scriptural support is not necessary for validating the teachings of the Catholic Church. My argument was that the traditions in the church were by divine revelation and ratified by ecumenical council and that the scriptures were also the result of such divine revelation and were not always backed by OT scriptures. So basically if the apostles held to sola scriptura we wouldn’t have a New Testament. I also used Peter’s revelation that Christ is the Son of God as an example by pointing out that the OT does not support the idea that the Messiah is the Son of God. So even tho Peter had no scripture to support his claim he was still correct about Jesus being the Son of God. So when I asked weren’t the scriptures a result of divine revelation the person said no. So at that point I didn’t see any point in any further discussion because such a person who denies that the scriptures were the result of divine revelation is clearly rejecting what is fundamentally accepted as truth throughout Christianity.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
IMHO, the heart of the issue here is whether or not the benefits of a sacrifice come from each mass or Divine Liturgy.

In the OT a victim was literally sacrificed and doing that was believed to effect something. They didn't sacrifice the same victim more than once, for obvious reasons. We may talk about timelessness and all of that, but does each Communion service today accomplish that same thing...or not?

If "yes" then doesn't this mean Christ IS believed to have been slain and offered up once again and that this is not just a "re-presenting" of the original sacrifice of the Cross to the Father (if that even makes sense)?
I can’t write long since I’m at work now, but there is a difference between the two. We no longer need the additional sacrifices to have that amamnesis, as Scripture and Holy Tradition both clearly state. It is the same sacrifice, but we do have the same benefit from it each time it is made present. It is already complete once and for all, but participating in it is also outside of our understanding of time and space. This was upheld and taught from the early Church, far before Scripture was even compiled.

Apologies in advance for the brevity and the resulting lack of clarity. I need more time to properly explain our view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I agree that scriptural support is not necessary for validating the teachings of the Catholic Church. My argument was that the traditions in the church were by divine revelation and ratified by ecumenical council and that the scriptures were also the result of such divine revelation and were not always backed by OT scriptures. So basically if the apostles held to sola scriptura we wouldn’t have a New Testament. I also used Peter’s revelation that Christ is the Son of God as an example by pointing out that the OT does not support the idea that the Messiah is the Son of God. So even tho Peter had no scripture to support his claim he was still correct about Jesus being the Son of God. So when I asked weren’t the scriptures a result of divine revelation the person said no. So at that point I didn’t see any point in any further discussion because such a person who denies that the scriptures were the result of divine revelation is clearly rejecting what is fundamentally accepted as truth throughout Christianity.

Thank you. Yes, I understand. Dont waste your time on people with progressive views on scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apologies in advance for the brevity and the resulting lack of clarity. I need more time to properly explain our view.
I'm sure that's true, and I was just throwing out a question. I know that it rather glossed over any differences between EO and RC thinking on the matter, but I cannot reconcile myself to the idea that one single sacrifice can be offered a thousand times and the spiritual benefits of a sacrifice be realized each time. Whatever it is that the sacrifice of any victim is believed to accomplish, you have to have a new victim for each new sacrifice.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0