EU Copyright Directive -- A Threat to the Internet?

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading a bit about EU's proposed copyright directive. As I understand it, any shared link, image, video, portion of an online article, and even open source software sharing would be required to go through copyright validation software. All possible violations of copyright infringement would need to be accounted for by this software. Any violations found by the software would result in a tax. Any violations on a website unaccounted for would result in a fine. The upshot is that only a handful of companies with deep pockets would be able to afford the fines or the software. More information below in the links. Has anyone read anything about this?

Time to ACT(A) on Article 13 – Copybuzz
European Copyright Law Isn't Great. It Could Soon Get a Lot Worse.
EU copyright reform/expansion

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I've been reading about, and the whole proposal too. And it's just ridiculous. I don't understand how any political body can possibly justify that sort of idea. Although when the political body in question started as a body to sort out coal and steel, that kind of says something.

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe there are any nations in the EU that require registration of copyright to enable enforcement (as the US does). Up until now, that meant a creator suing for copyright infringement had to rely on his own means of proving ownership in court--and good luck in many cases. Europeans have generally preferred that because it meant that they didn't have to do something up front because copyright is supposed to occur automatically when the work is created.

In the US, although copyright is acknowledged to exist automatically upon creation of a work (as it must, considering that copyright is a Constitutional mandate and also an obligation of the Berne Convention), US courts will only award actual damages rather than statutory penalties if the copyright had not been registered, which means lawyers are much more reluctant to take the cases and a court fight is likely to be unprofitable. It is a bit more hassle for the creator, but then again, when a creator has a registered copyright in hand, infringers know they'd better settle out-of-court quickly because it's going to be a slam-dunk in court with huge statutory penalties.

So this is the EU's way of being able to enforce copyright using technology without either requiring official registration or onerous court hearings.

A big issue for American creators right now is that the Copyright Office is proposing to raise the fee for normal registration to $100 per application. It was only $35 a year ago, then raised to $55 only six months ago. At $100, it becomes a burden for a creator to gain what is legally a Constitutional mandate upon the Federal government to provide. A navy, a postal system, a currency, and copyright...those are the mandates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhaas11

Christian News: http://www.shekach.com
Oct 3, 2015
Fresno Ca
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Liberal (political) minds really don't understand the Internet. It's Funny how people cried when the FCC killed the net neutrality, people didn't understand that running the internet as a utility meant that taxes would go UP, it had NOTHING to do with neutrality.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Liberal (political) minds really don't understand the Internet. It's Funny how people cried when the FCC killed the net neutrality, people didn't understand that running the internet as a utility meant that taxes would go UP, it had NOTHING to do with neutrality.

I don't think you understand what "net neutrality" means.

Upvote 0

nhaas11

Christian News: http://www.shekach.com
Oct 3, 2015
Fresno Ca
Visit site
✟8,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think you understand what "net neutrality" means.
I absolutely know what it means, I have read nearly all the net neutrality law that was poorly written. I loved the lines. "to treat ... as a Utility" then "You will not be governed as a Utility" and "Not Regulated by the Utility body". See this law was only written to raise taxes on Internet providers. I understand net neutrality, I am glad the FCC dropped this poor scheme to raise taxes.

BTW: True Net Neutrality is: if you don't like your provider simply fire them and move to the next provider.

• Haha
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely know what it means, I have read nearly all the net neutrality law that was poorly written. I loved the lines. "to treat ... as a Utility" then "You will not be governed as a Utility" and "Not Regulated by the Utility body". See this law was only written to raise taxes on Internet providers. I understand net neutrality, I am glad the FCC dropped this poor scheme to raise taxes.

BTW: True Net Neutrality is: if you don't like your provider simply fire them and move to the next provider.

Nope, saying that, you don't actually know what net neutrality means.

Upvote 0

DR_JB

Dec 31, 2018
Chesterfield
✟15,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
If I recall correctly, the EU's stance on this has caused the issue with YouTube's ability to display videos to citizens within the EU; I also believe this is the reason why Microsoft and Google are moving their services for EU users to their Ireland offices.

I know that ensuring users of websites and services have their personal data protected, however, they need to consider not allowing the new rules to limit the content to EU users. I enjoy many US-based websites, however, due to legislation, I now have to use a VPN to view them.

Upvote 0