Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is proper etiquette when addressing and meeting nuns? I’m planning a visit in a couple weeks to a convent near(ish)by, and I wasn’t sure. Do I ask for their blessing as I would with a priest? Do I kiss their hands? I’m rather clueless so any information you all have would be greatly appreciated!

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Greeting Orthodox friend. Here is something to read about that subject for a female Orthodox monastery. God bless your visit.

Only Abbesses (or in rare cases their chief assistants) can wear a pectoral cross. Laypeople should approach an Abbess for a blessing the same as they would a Priest—they bow and hold their hands, palms up, right over left—and after receiving the blessing (which the Abbess makes holding her fingers the same as when one makes the sign of the cross—not the "Name of the Lord" configuration of fingers used by priests when blessing)—they kiss the Abbess's hand.

How to Greet a Monk or Nun
Thanks! Interesting to know about how the Abbess blesses differently from a priest.

greet the abbess first and be obedient to her while you are there. nuns are addressed as Mother, novices as sister.
Thanks. Is there anything I should need to bring besides clothes? (I'm going to bring some gifts as well - the website has a list of needs, but I'm asking more about, should I make sure to bring gardening gloves or something? Idk. That's an odd example but the first thing that jumped to mind haha)

If the priest stationed at the convent is there as well, do I get the Abbess's blessing first, and then the priest's blessing?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Is there anything I should need to bring besides clothes? (I'm going to bring some gifts as well - the website has a list of needs, but I'm asking more about, should I make sure to bring gardening gloves or something? Idk. That's an odd example but the first thing that jumped to mind haha)

If the priest stationed at the convent is there as well, do I get the Abbess's blessing first, and then the priest's blessing?

if they have a bookstore, bring a desire to purchase something, even if it's small. it's a good way to maintain a connection with that monastery.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would get the blessing from whomever you approached first. That's better than backtracking.
As for what to bring I would bring things to work outside like you mention the work gloves and maybe boots, a warm coat, scarf depending upon where you are going.
If you're going to the Domination Monastery in Rives Junction, Michigan they have a priest there.
Hope you enjoy your time there.
Thanks, that's a good thought. It's St Nina's in Maryland, and it'll be in the middle of february so likely quite cold

if they have a bookstore, bring a desire to purchase something, even if it's small. it's a good way to maintain a connection with that monastery.
I know they have a bookstore and sell coffee and prayer ropes, among other things - I was thinking about getting some coffee for my church, for my dad (who is a big coffee drinker), and maybe my sister (we'll see how expensive the coffee is). And I'll probably get a prayer rope for my girlfriend - she's asked about mine a couple times so I figured this would be a good place to get one

but maybe I should bring a little extra to buy something for myself as well, so as to stay connected to the monastery as you say. I'm not sure what that'll be though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just as an update - the visit was wonderful this past weekend and I'd love to go back sometime. It was such a peaceful and prayerful visit. The chanting was beautiful and it was really nice to just disconnect (I had my phone on airplane mode and only used it as an alarm -- which I really didn't need since there were church bells in the mornings) for the weekend in order to pray, work, and talk with the nuns and priests (and other laity visiting!)

St Nina, pray for us!

Upvote 0