Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I read a post today on the Catholic Board re: the Orthodox Church's problems, except in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Church stands out among all branches of Christendom for multiple reasons. (1) Their Bible contains more books than any other branch of Christianity, a total of 81, 46 in the Old Testament and 35 in the New Testament. (2) Ethiopia might well be the most faithful Christian nation on Earth. According to the Pew Research Center in November 2017, 98% of Ethiopian Orthodox Christians claim that religion is very important to them and an amazing 78% attend church services every week. I do not know of any other Christian nation that comes even close to such a high weekly attendance percentage. Even the formerly high faithfulness of Ireland and Poland has dropped in recent years to well below that of Ethiopia, to somewhere below 50%. (3) They have always maintained close ties to Judaism. They observe the Old Testament dietary laws, as well as the Saturday Sabbath rest. Perhaps this is because their tradition handed down for centuries tells them that the Ark of the Covenant resides with them?

Agree or disagree with their beliefs and practices, especially their close ties to Judaism, it would seem that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a shining example to the rest of the Christian family.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read a post today on the Catholic Board re: the Orthodox Church's problems, except in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Church stands out among all branches of Christendom for multiple reasons. (1) Their Bible contains more books than any other branch of Christianity, a total of 81, 46 in the Old Testament and 35 in the New Testament. (2) Ethiopia might well be the most faithful Christian nation on Earth. According to the Pew Research Center in November 2017, 98% of Ethiopian Orthodox Christians claim that religion is very important to them and an amazing 78% attend church services every week. I do not know of any other Christian nation that comes even close to such a high weekly attendance percentage. Even the formerly high faithfulness of Ireland and Poland has dropped in recent years to well below that of Ethiopia, to somewhere below 50%. (3) They have always maintained close ties to Judaism. They observe the Old Testament dietary laws, as well as the Saturday Sabbath rest. Perhaps this is because their tradition handed down for centuries tells them that the Ark of the Covenant resides with them?

Agree or disagree with their beliefs and practices, especially their close ties to Judaism, it would seem that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a shining example to the rest of the Christian family.

Inspiring post. They have also had to deal with some pretty vicious persecution.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0