usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No one asked whether some people will be punished or not. We both believe some people will be punished forever.
Your fairy tale does not stand up to the words of God, so now you know how the wealthy can open his eyes, and he is not.

Job 27:19 The rich man shall lie down, but he shall not be gathered: he openeth his eyes, and he is not.

How is your hearing? Are you crucifying once again the Son of God? Heb 6:6

I believe that they will be punished forever by extinction, if you have refused to accept the teachings of Christ. Therefore they are classified as UNGODLY, denying God[/B]. Copyright © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Psa_1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Jer 6:30 Rejected silver they are called, for the LORD has rejected them."
Luk 14:34 "Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?
35 It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Mat 5:13 ".. It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

Psa 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Pro 12:7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟55,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your fairy tale does not stand up to the words of God,
LOL, it is not my view here that makes parts of Scripture regarding the damned like a fairytale.

And by the continued refusal to address why one needs Scripture to be understood like a fairytale, I guess we can only conclude one has no response and would rather attempt to deflect/change the topic. I fell ya brother. I would be willing to drop this point if the person who proposed this rendering of Thessalonians in this thread would admit he has no explanation why an Apostle would speak in a fairytale/non-sense manner regarding the damned.

I mean if one is going to refuse to answer question at least explain why or admit one has no answer.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A Gentile does not die, for he has never lived in order that he may die. He who has believed in the truth has found life, and this one is in danger of dying, for he is alive. Since Christ came, the world has been created, the cities adorned, the dead carried out. When we were Hebrews, we were orphans and had only our mother, but when we became Christians, we had both father and mother.-Philip

Before one can die, they must first have life. Physical life is not spiritual life.

John 6
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

If Christ was speaking spirit, how could he be talking about physical eating? (wafers and wine?)

What is this which will not inherit? This which is on us. But what is this, too, which will inherit? It is that which belongs to Jesus and his blood. Because of this he said "He who shall not eat my flesh and drink my blood has not life in him" (Jn 6:53). What is it? His flesh is the word, and his blood is the Holy Spirit.-Philip

I see man taking the spiritual message and turning it into a physical one. Seeing the physical God over the spiritual one.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We both believe some people will be punished forever.

Here's the thing. We live in a temporary place where time exists.
Here on earth, there is past present, future, "now", and eternity.

But....in the next life, time will not exist. So "forever" is not how things
will be measured there. that may be how we talk about things while
we are here. But there will be different.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
LOL, it is not my view here that makes parts of Scripture regarding the damned like a fairytale.
You mean your fairytale statement of flying pigs that you say do not exist but still exist?. So now tell me how the wealthy will not be gathered and can still open his eyes, and he is not just like in the rich man and Lazarus .

Job 27:19 The rich man shall lie down, but he shall not be gathered: he openeth his eyes, and he is not.

Do you remember the rich/wealthy man in the story of Lazarus? What do you think the great gulf was between that man and Lazarus? Could it possibly be that great gulf was that he that believeth not the Son shall not see life?

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in vexation, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

How could he see Abraham when Abraham was not yet alive? Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

How is your hearing now? Are you crucifying once again the Son of God? Heb 6:6

I believe that they will be punished forever by extinction, if you have refused to accept the teachings of Christ. Therefore they are classified as UNGODLY, denying God. Copyright © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

How do you explain this verse?
Psa_1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

If God rejects them and they are not even good for the soil or even the manure pile and they are not restored then how does that even fit into your torture theory?

Jer 6:30 Rejected silver they are called, for the LORD has rejected them."
Luk 14:34 "Salt is good, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?
35 It is of no use either for the soil or for the manure pile. It is thrown away. He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

If they are trampled and they are no longer good for anything why even bother with a torture that is not conducive for anything?Mat 5:13 ".. It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

That means if the wicked "are not", they no longer exist to stand anywhere in contrast to the righteous.
Pro 12:7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.

Upvote 0

Habbit Animal

All that wander are not lost -B4 asking directions
Jul 7, 2013
✟842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I tend toward the old testament accounting of separation from God after life, and even that isn't for eternity, in Sheol.
Hell was manufactured as was the Apocrypha, by the Catholic church. Much truth of God has been lost due to that idolatrous authority limiting what is the truth in scripture.
That's why I find the Bible is a guidepost, a road map on the surface using metaphor, parables, to communicate deeper meaning. While a relationship with God and following the spirit calling of holiness leads where man's edited and often corrupted intentions mislead the faithful.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟55,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean your fairytale statement of flying pigs that you say do not exist but still exist?
Since I rendered your understanding of Scripture into an example of speaking of something imaginary (flying pigs) as if it existed (can be banished) we are talking about your fairytale view of Scripture, not mine.
Do you remember the rich/wealthy man in the story of Lazarus? What do you think the great gulf was between that man and Lazarus? Could it possibly be that great gulf was that he that believeth not the Son shall not see life?
the great gulf is a separation - which in part also helps explain words like perish, destruction, ruin, and "life" because the person on one side is not experiencing what the person "living" on the other side is experiencing.
How could he see Abraham when Abraham was not yet alive?
The pertinate question for this thread would be how could he see at all if he does not exist, which is your position not mine.

I believe that they will be punished forever by extinction, if you have refused to accept the teachings of Christ. [/quote] No I have refused to accept a teaching which requires turning Scriptures into fairytales.
How do you explain this verse?
By distinguishing between "the way of the ungodly" from the person.
If God rejects them and they are not even good for the soil or even the manure pile and they are not restored then how does that even fit into your torture theory?
I do not have a "torture theory". The orthodox teaching is everyone is raised from the dead. Everyone has a body and the SAME soul they had while walking this earth, with that soul being the ONLY link to this life. The body of the damned is not the same as those in Glory, but unlike the bodies we have now does not perish. God rejecting them is why they remain where they are, and that rejection is what causes the person they were to be no more, such that while they still exist for ever and ever, that existence can only be described as CS Lewis did "what remains", which is an apt description of perishing - but a perishing that has no end to existence. Whatever else Hell is, they are not "unchanged" by being there (like the burning bush was unchanged). That is how we would understand perish, burning, ashes, destroy, annihilate, be no more...etc
If they are trampled and they are no longer good for anything why even bother with a torture that is not conducive for anything?
Separating people permanently from other people serves a purpose, so unclear why we need to see that as "not conducive for anything". It serves a purpose and those in Glory would be thankful for that.
That means if the wicked "are not", they no longer exist to stand anywhere in contrast to the righteous.
The contrast/comparison NT/OT verse only works taken out of context.

NT speaking of the damned in the next life. OT verse speaking of living people and the everlasting existence of a "house of the righteous" and how the overthrow of those living wicked by that "house" - meaning those outside that "house" are killed - and so "are not" in this world anymore. Are we really certain we should be taking single verses out of context and claiming we can combine them anyway we want to support any view we happen to like?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Job 27:19 ... Luk 16:23 -26 ...Joh 3:36 ...Heb 11:40 ... Heb 6:6 .... 2007 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated ... Psa_1:6 ...Jer 6:30 ...Luk 14:34 -35 ...Mat 5:13 ".. .

The standard list of out-of-context proof texts. Jumping back and forth from the OT to the NT. An inexplicable reference to a dictionary

Another out-of-context proof text. If the wicked cease to exist in vs. 7, why are they still around to be despised; vs. 8, be cruel, vs. 10, be void of understanding, vs. 11, desire the net of evil men, vs. 12, be snared by the transgression of his lips, vs. 13 and thirteen more vss.

Pro 12:6 The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them.
7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous shall stand.
8 A man shall be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.
9 He that is despised, and hath a servant, is better than he that honoureth himself, and lacketh bread.
10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
11 He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that followeth vain persons is void of understanding.
12 The wicked desireth the net of evil men: but the root of the righteous yieldeth fruit.
13 The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.​

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's the thing. We live in a temporary place where time exists.
Here on earth, there is past present, future, "now", and eternity.

But....in the next life, time will not exist. So "forever" is not how things
will be measured there. that may be how we talk about things while
we are here. But there will be different.

No, zero, none scripture to support this belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend toward the old testament accounting of separation from God after life, and even that isn't for eternity, in Sheol.
Hell was manufactured as was the Apocrypha, by the Catholic church. [Wrong! DA] Much truth of God has been lost due to that idolatrous authority limiting what is the truth in scripture.
That's why I find the Bible is a guidepost, a road map on the surface using metaphor, parables, to communicate deeper meaning. While a relationship with God and following the spirit calling of holiness leads where man's edited and often corrupted intentions mislead the faithful.

This is a popular fiction among some modern religious groups. The truth is the Jews, in Israel before and during the time of Jesus believed in a place of unending, fiery torment and they called it both Gehinnom/Gehenna and Sheol. When Jesus taught about "Eternal punishment,""the fire of hell where the fire is not quenched and the worm does not die," and "cast into a fiery furnace where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth," that supported and validated the existing view of hell. Jesus was born into and grew to adulthood in that culture. He knew what His countrymen, the Jews, believed about hell. If the Jews were wrong Jesus would have corrected them. He did not, thus their teaching on hell was correct. Here is historical evidence to support this.

Jewish Encyclopedia, GEHENNA

The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch was originally in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). For this reason the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a); [Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT the bias of Christian translators.]

It is assumed in general that sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell (B.M. 83b).

But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]

As mentioned above, heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment (x. 6, xci. 9, et al.). " The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according to Isa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b).

Jewish Encyclopedia Online
====================================================
Talmud -Tractate Rosh Hashanah Chapter 1.

The school of Hillel says: . . . but as for Minim, [follower of Jesus] informers and disbelievers, who deny the Torah, or Resurrection, or separate themselves from the congregation, or who inspire their fellowmen with dread of them, or who sin and cause others to sin, as did Jeroboam the son of Nebat and his followers, they all descend to Gehenna, and are judged there from generation to generation, as it is said [Isa. lxvi. 24]: "And they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men who have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched." Even when Gehenna will be destroyed, they will not be consumed, as it is written [Psalms, xlix. 15]: "And their forms wasteth away in the nether world," which the sages comment upon to mean that their forms shall endure even when the grave is no more. Concerning them Hannah says [I Sam. ii. 10]: "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces."

Tract Rosh Hashana: Chapter I.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by SkyWriting View Post
Here's the thing. We live in a temporary place where time exists. Here on earth, there is past present, future, "now", and eternity. But....in the next life, time will not exist. So "forever" is not how things will be measured there. That may be how we talk about things while we are here. But there will be different.

No, zero, none scripture to support this belief.

Sure! I'd be happy to honor your request:

-- We live in a temporary place where time exists.

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. ~ Psalm 39:4

I am here on earth for just a little while. ~ Psalm 119:19

--But....in the next life, time will not exist.

King James Bible
And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:

Isaiah 60:19-20
19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day, neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee; but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.
20 Thy sun shall no more go down, neither shall thy moon withdraw itself; for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

--But there will be different.

19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day

2 Peter 3:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

If there is a concept of time passing, it won't be the same as what we know.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure! I'd be happy to honor your request:

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. ~ Psalm 39:4

I am here on earth for just a little while. ~ Psalm 119:19

King James Bible
And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:

19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day, neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee; but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.
20 Thy sun shall no more go down, neither shall thy moon withdraw itself; for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day

2 Peter 3:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

If there is a concept of time passing, it won't be the same as what we know.

The passing of time will be experienced by some. 10[sup]100[/sup] times 10[sup]100[/sup] eons from now God's unchanging word will still read e.g. "They rest not day or night."

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Rev 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.​

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The passing of time will be experienced by some. 10[sup]100[/sup] times 10[sup]100[/sup] eons from now God's unchanging word will still read e.g. "They rest not day or night."

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.​

I covered that.
The experience will be different.
Not what we are used to.

He swore an oath by the One who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it: "There will no longer be an interval of time,

(ὅτι χρόνος οὐκέτι ἔσται)

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Time shall be no more.”

Jubilee Bible 2000
"that there should be time no longer"

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
That time shall be no longer.

English Revised Version
that there shall be time no longer:

Webster's Bible Translation
that there should be time no longer:

http://biblehub.com/revelation/10-6.htm

P.S. No more "eons". Another human measurement. No more "10[sup]100[/sup] times 10[sup]100[/sup]"​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBubbaLove

Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟55,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heman, you missed cutting and pasting the mantra in response to this reply to you so I thought I would help. Kind of saves time I think,
DrBubbaLove said:
Since I rendered your understanding of Scripture into an example of speaking of something imaginary (flying pigs) as if it existed (can be banished) we are talking about your fairytale view of Scripture, not mine.
the great gulf is a separation - which in part also helps explain words like perish, destruction, ruin, and "life" because the person on one side is not experiencing what the person "living" on the other side is experiencing.
The pertinent question for this thread would be how could he see at all if he does not exist, which is your position not mine.
Heman said:
I believe that they will be punished forever by extinction, if you have refused to accept the teachings of Christ.
No I have refused to accept a teaching which requires turning Scriptures into fairytales.
By distinguishing between "the way of the ungodly" from the person.
I do not have a "torture theory". The orthodox teaching is everyone is raised from the dead. Everyone has a body and the SAME soul they had while walking this earth, with that soul being the ONLY link to this life. The body of the damned is not the same as those in Glory, but unlike the bodies we have now does not perish. God rejecting them is why they remain where they are, and that rejection is what causes the person they were to be no more, such that while they still exist for ever and ever, that existence can only be described as CS Lewis did "what remains", which is an apt description of perishing - but a perishing that has no end to existence. Whatever else Hell is, they are not "unchanged" by being there (like the burning bush was unchanged). That is how we would understand perish, burning, ashes, destroy, annihilate, be no more...etc
Separating people permanently from other people serves a purpose, so unclear why we need to see that as "not conducive for anything". It serves a purpose and those in Glory would be thankful for that.
The contrast/comparison NT/OT verse only works taken out of context.

NT speaking of the damned in the next life. OT verse speaking of living people and the everlasting existence of a "house of the righteous" and how the overthrow of those living wicked by that "house" - meaning those outside that "house" are killed - and so "are not" in this world anymore. Are we really certain we should be taking single verses out of context and claiming we can combine them anyway we want to support any view we happen to like?
Me filling in the expected non-response.

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in vexation, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

How could he see Abraham when Abraham was not yet alive? Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

How is your hearing now? Are you crucifying once again the Son of God? Heb 6:6

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I covered that.
The experience will be different.
Not what we are used to.

Whatever! It continues without end.

He swore an oath by the One who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it: "There will no longer be an interval of time,

(ὅτι χρόνος οὐκέτι ἔσται)

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Time shall be no more.”

Jubilee Bible 2000

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
That time shall be no longer.

English Revised Version
that there shall be time no longer:

Webster's Bible Translation
that there should be time no longer:

Revelation 10:6 And he swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it, and said, "There will be no more delay!

P.S. No more "eons". Another human measurement. No more "10[sup]100[/sup] times 10[sup]100[/sup]"

I must have missed where you addressed the four scripture I posted. Here they are again.

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.​

When does this change to "they have rest?"

Rev 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.​

Your one (1) out-of-context, agenda motivated proof text cannot negate or abrogate other scripture. When do they stop serving God?

Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.​

The words "for ever and ever" is "unto eons of eons" in Greek. You need to reconsider what your proof text really means.

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.​

The words "for ever and ever" is "unto eons of eons" in Greek. As I said you need to reconsider what your proof text actually means. Rev 10:6 cannot contradict these vss. Here are some sources which show the correct meaning of your proof text.

ASV Rev 10:6 and sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created the heaven and the things that are therein, and the earth and the things that are therein, and the sea and the things that are therein, that there shall be delay no longer:

CEV Rev 10:6 He made a promise in the name of God who lives forever and who created heaven, earth, the sea, and every living creature. The angel said, "You won't have to wait any longer.

ISV Rev 10:6 He swore an oath by the one who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and everything in it, the earth and everything in it, and the sea and everything in it: "There will be no more delay.

NASB Rev 10:6 (14) and swore by (15) Him who lives forever and ever, (16) WHO CREATED HEAVEN AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE EARTH AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE SEA AND THE THINGS IN IT, that (17) there will be delay no longer,

Wuest Rev 10:6 swearing by the One who lives forever and forever, who created the heaven and the things in it and the earth and the things in it and the sea and the things in it, that there should be no longer any delay or respite

RSV Rev 10:6 and swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it, that there should be no more delay,

NIV Rev 10:6 And he swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it, and said, "There will be no more delay!

NET 10:6 and swore by the one who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, and the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it, “There will be no more delay!

οτι χρονος ουκ εσται ετι

A. T. Robertson Word Pictures [Taught graduate level Greek 47 years]

That there shall be time no longer (hoti chronos ouketi estai). Future indicative indirect discourse with hoti. But this does not mean that chronos (time), Einstein’s “fourth dimension” (added to length, breadth, height), will cease to exist, but only that there will be no more delay in the fulfillment of the seventh trumpet (Rev_10:7), in answer to the question, “How long?” (Psa_6:10).

Jamieson, Faussett, Brown commentary

that there should be time no longer — Greek, “that time (that is, an interval of time) no longer shall be.” The martyrs shall have no longer a time to wait for the accomplishment of their prayers for the purgation of the earth by the judgments which shall remove their and God’s foes from it (Rev_6:11). The appointed season or time of delay is at an end (the same Greek is here as in Rev_6:11, chronus). Not as English Version implies, Time shall end and eternity begin.​

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Subscribing :wave:

According to the Bible, the wages of sin is death. Therefore I believe that the penalty for sin is death and not eternal torture in hell. The gift of God is eternal life and only those who are in Christ will receive this gift. God does not give eternal life to those who reject Him only to have them tortured in Hell forever. They perish, just as the Bible says. Not that anyone who believes in eternal torture will ever change their mind.

Upvote 0