Eternal torment is not a Bible doctrine (2)

rdcast

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
✟8,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was just thinking the same thing.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I'd like to ask a question. If there is no hell, and no eternal suffering to fear, why do we need a savior? Gospel can't just be the only thing preached. Without gospel, we are condemned by the law, but without the law we have no need for the gospel.
There IS hell, and the lost are kept there in wait of the judgement. But all that can't enter into God's Holy Kingdom, is destroyed out of existence by fire, that includes hell and all who are in it. How long they must wait, no one knows. That is the only period of suffering.

Upvote 0

strangertoo

sin is diabolical abuse of fellow humans-1John 3:8
Nov 2, 2011
UK
Visit site
✟17,641.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
There IS hell, and the lost are kept there in wait of the judgement. But all that can't enter into God's Holy Kingdom, is destroyed out of existence by fire, that includes hell and all who are in it. How long they must wait, no one knows. That is the only period of suffering.

but Jesus says all are released from hell to be judged by their works Rev 20:13 [a first chance at salvation for many, second for some, after resurrection, freed from sin by death -Rom 6:7]

Also the mercy of God endures, so none can be 'lost' to the good shepherd, and indeed Jesus promises that all will accept him [and this be saved eventually] :-

Revelation 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

God could not be god of all men if He failed to convince all eventually to Love and so be happy in life...

Upvote 0

rdcast

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
✟8,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
but Jesus says all are released from hell to be judged by their works Rev 20:13 [a first chance at salvation for many, second for some, after resurrection, freed from sin by death -Rom 6:7]

Also the mercy of God endures, so none can be 'lost' to the good shepherd, and indeed Jesus promises that all will accept him [and this be saved eventually] :-

Revelation 5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

God could not be god of all men if He failed to convince all eventually to Love and so be happy in life...
Can names be removed from the Eternal Book of Life?
Annihilationism vs Hell Eternal Torment - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Timothew
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'd like to ask a question. If there is no hell, and no eternal suffering to fear, why do we need a savior? Gospel can't just be the only thing preached. Without gospel, we are condemned by the law, but without the law we have no need for the gospel.
The wages of sin is death. According to the bible, Jesus Christ saves us from death.

I could ask the same thing to you. If there is really no death, because everyone has eternal life in one place or another, why do we need a savior to give us eternal life?

Upvote 0

strangertoo

Nov 2, 2011
UK
Visit site
✟17,641.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
The wages of sin is death. According to the bible, Jesus Christ saves us from death.

I could ask the same thing to you. If there is really no death, because everyone has eternal life in one place or another, why do we need a savior to give us eternal life?

the saviour only can show the way by Love.... everyone has to Love all others for themselves eventually, when they see that is a better way to live lives...

the spirit cannot die because it is of God, so indeed the essence of a man cannot die and all will be resurrected from hell and death [Rev 20:13] by means of their spirit

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

as Jesus explained, death is just like a sleep for sinners until the kingdom is readird for the many to be saved by works [Rev 20:13]

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Excellent question. What are we saved from?

And very pertinent in terms of evangelism, too. If someone has no fear of hell (because they don't believe in hell), then how can they be reached with the gospel if the gospel is merely the way to get out of hell? So we must scare the hell into them before we scare the hell out of them.

Our message to the world, then, must be hell first, Jesus second. Because without hell, Jesus is irrelevant at best.

Unless we are saved from something else...

Upvote 0

strangertoo

Nov 2, 2011
UK
Visit site
✟17,641.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Excellent question. What are we saved from?

saved from the emptiness and misery of unlovingness in life , saved from the destructiveness of sin ... some even saved from the irrelevance of sleep in death :-

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

And very pertinent in terms of evangelism, too. If someone has no fear of hell (because they don't believe in hell), then how can they be reached with the gospel if the gospel is merely the way to get out of hell? So we must scare the hell into them before we scare the hell out of them.
God is not about fear, but about Love although some only come to understanding of Love through the stage of first fearing the power of God before they understand God through Love and in spirit baptism to know all Truth for God direct... John 18:13 , Heb 8:8-12

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
1 John 4:16...and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Our message to the world, then, must be hell first, Jesus second. Because without hell, Jesus is irrelevant at best.
Love is simply a vastly better way to live... one does not need fear to appreciate the wonderful nature of a Loving life, in fact perfect Love casts out all fear ... your premise is simply completely wrong...

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, yes, you need to be saved from annihilation. This has already been covered. Your extremely over-simplified point of view is virtually impossible for anyone to get confused about. If only you would listen to the point of view of the majority you might be able to deduce what their obvious responses would be, the way that we can so easily predict what your responses will be.

This is only a question for you because you are so trapped by your own personal definitions of life and death that you can't even imagin any other point of view. It is one thing to understand another person's point of view while disagreeing with it, but it is quite something else to be so self-absorbed that you can't even fathom the majority point of view. You would think that you've encountered it often enough to have at least some idea of what the obvious response will be.

No one besides yourself and other annihilationists would refer to existence as a disembodied spirit as being life. Why is it so hard for you to fathom that the vast majority of people would never consider that to be any kind of life?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
But all that can't enter into God's Holy Kingdom, is destroyed out of existence by fire, that includes hell and all who are in it.
The lake of fire, the true hell, is never destroyed. Hades use to be improperly translated as hell, but there is no hellfire in Hades. It is the lake of fire that is hellfire. And the Bible clearly states that at least three beings are never destroyed in the lake of fire, but are trapped there eternally, so at very best for your argument not all are destroyed in the lake of fire (Rev 20:10). That of course assumes that the reference to "the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever" doesn't really mean torment for ever and ever the way it clearly says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
the spirit cannot die because it is of God, so indeed the essence of a man cannot die and all will be resurrected from hell and death [Rev 20:13] by means of their spirit
Hades is not hell. The lake of fire, Gehenna, is hell. Rev 20:13 says that those awakened from Hades and death will be judged. You seem to be completely ignoring that part of Rev 20:13. Following the judgement of Rev 20:13 some will receive eternal life and others will be sent to Gehenna.

Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Unless we are saved from something else...
Yes, that was the question. Why didn't you answer it instead of exclusively focusing on attacking the orthodox point of view? That is not an answer to the question, that is just arguing past someone, much like the way democrats and republicans only argue past each other and never engage in a real dialog anymore.

Upvote 0

rdcast

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
✟8,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The lake of fire, the true hell, is never destroyed. Hades use to be improperly translated as hell, but there is no hellfire in Hades. It is the lake of fire that is hellfire. And the Bible clearly states that at least three beings are never destroyed in the lake of fire, but are trapped there eternally, so at very best for your argument not all are destroyed in the lake of fire (Rev 20:10). That of course assumes that the reference to "the smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever" doesn't really mean torment for ever and ever the way it clearly says.
Revelation 20:10 (KJ21)
10 And the devil who had deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This is very true.

I think of the scripture describing Christ's response to one of His apostles who inquired of Judas Iscariot's soul's fate, to which Jesus sternly warned him to worry over his own judgement and not that of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That says nothing about the "lake of fire" or the "outer darkness" (which are probably the same thing). Entities that are there will not praise Christ at the time of Rev 5:13.

This point of view is clearly contradicted by Matthew 12:31-32, where Jesus speaks of those who can never be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, yes, you need to be saved from annihilation. This has already been covered. Your extremely over-simplified point of view is virtually impossible for anyone to get confused about. If only you would listen to the point of view of the majority you might be able to deduce what their obvious responses would be, the way that we can so easily predict what your responses will be.

This is only a question for you because you are so trapped by your own personal definitions of life and death that you can't even imagin any other point of view. It is one thing to understand another person's point of view while disagreeing with it, but it is quite something else to be so self-absorbed that you can't even fathom the majority point of view. You would think that you've encountered it often enough to have at least some idea of what the obvious response will be.

No one besides yourself and other annihilationists would refer to existence as a disembodied spirit as being life. Why is it so hard for you to fathom that the vast majority of people would never consider that to be any kind of life?
Because I just go by what the bible says and not pagan-greek-spiritism-nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Because I just go by what the bible says and not pagan-greek-spiritism-nonsense.
So I take that you think that being totally ignorant about our point of view is somehow good for the chances of having a dialog with us? How do you think that you can get through to people without having a clue what they think? That is a guaranteed way of never convincing anyone of anything. Have you ever in your life succeeded in changing anyone's mind about anything?

Upvote 0

rdcast

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
✟8,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
images

When do we stop loving ourselves more than others?
Don't fret over the obvious lack of love for these two, God probably has them in His bosom by now.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I take that you think that being totally ignorant about our point of view is somehow good for the chances of having a dialog with us? How do you think that you can get through to people without having a clue what they think? That is a guaranteed way of never convincing anyone of anything. Have you ever in your life succeeded in changing anyone's mind about anything?
I underetand the hellist view. I used to hold it. I rejected it because it is unbiblical.

Upvote 0

LutheranMafia

Jan 9, 2008
✟2,937.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I underetand the hellist view. I used to hold it. I rejected it because it is unbiblical.
If that is true then why do you ask a question that demonstrates no ability to relate to how the orthodox view their own beliefs?

Here is your question again:

If there is really no death, because everyone has eternal life in one place or another, why do we need a savior to give us eternal life?
The orthodox point of view is not one in which everyone has eternal life because disembodied spirits are not alive.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? It is extremely simple and straight forward. You obviously have a mental block on the issue. Disagreeing with the above is fine, but distorting it to falsely portray how the orthodox view their own beliefs is not, and clearly demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of the point of view you are arguing against. You are never going to convince anyone of anything by distorting and slaughtering their point of view. Can you think of anyone who has ever been convinced by a strawman argument?

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If that is true then why do you ask a question that demonstrates no ability to relate to how the orthodox view their own beliefs?

Here is your question again:

The orthodox point of view is not one in which everyone has eternal life because disembodied spirits are not alive.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? It is extremely simple and straight forward. You obviously have a mental block on the issue. Disagreeing with the above is fine, but distorting it to falsely portray how the orthodox view their own beliefs is not, and clearly demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of the point of view you are arguing against. You are never going to convince anyone of anything by distorting and slaughtering their point of view. Can you think of anyone who has ever been convinced by a strawman argument?
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."
This is what God's Word says. I believe it, just as written.

Last edited:
Upvote 0