Eternal sin

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a sin that is eternal or unforgivable. did god give us a warning when he said "who so ever blasphemys the holy spirit will not be forgiven either in this age or the age to come." assuming this is not a warning but fact why did god also say whoever disowns me in front of men i will also disown him before the angels of god. Yet he did not disown Peter. Can, we assume that there is a clear line of no return. That there is a sin that puts us beyond the forgiveness of god? IF so are all people subject to the possiblity of committing such sin.

Please feel free to give feed back. Understanding the nature of god takes many perspectives.

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟149,113.00
Faith
Messianic
The only sin that is unforgivable was when the High Priest refused to recognize Jesus' messiahship, and by accusing his power as being of the Devil.

This sin was never forgivable and the only person that could commit that would be the one in the position, authority, and responsibility to recognize Jesus as the Messiah so that the whole of the nation could. Since the High Priest rejected Jesus, the whole nation bore that sin and thus that is why Jesus said that generation will not see Him. That generation could have been the last generation on earth. But because of their rejection of Jesus, the generations go on until again He returns, but not until the Jews say "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."

That is why elsewhere it is written "if the rejection of Jesus by the Jews was to benefit the Gentiles, what more would their acceptance of Jesus be but life from the dead!"

And this sin is not an eternal sin. It is a once in a lifetime, positional sin - meaning the High Priest himself was able to be saved, but the sin and thus the resulting punishment was a responsibility of the people, and the punishment was the destruction of Jerusalem and the tarrying again until Jesus comes back.

I am a Jew that believes Jesus is the Messiah. That is how I know this. It's amazing to me people take this out of context and think there is an unforgivable sin - but the context is that it was meant only for that one time when the High Priest shunned his responsibility and instead of reconizing Jesus as the Messiah, made him out to be the Devil.

God could not forgive that generation for the decision they made, so he makes Jesus wait to come again until a generation accepts Him. This time though he won't be a suffering servant. He will be a conqouring King.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟149,113.00
Faith
Messianic
That too is 'unforgivable' in that sense but then at that point you're dead and Judgement is already given.

But the context of the scripture puts the whole thing into a better light. and I hope that helps. I dont claim to know everything, but this is one thing I've been privied to understand because of some good teaching at my Messiannic congregation. :)

And this isn't a new idea either. In fact, it's believe this is even what the Apostles tought. The sad part is though, the Crusaders used this as an excuse to butcher Jews accross Europe in the Dark Ages.

Upvote 0

Homie

Gods servant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
By my understanding a Jew is 2 things. It is a person that believes in the religion Judaism or it is a person that is of jewish descent which means that. So if you say "The Jews" you are referring to either followers of a religion or a race/people or most often both.

I am guessing Josepheus is of jewish descent but he has chosen christ so he is a christian also becasuse of his believes. Am I right Josepheus?

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Knowledge brings greater responsibility. Pilate’s sin was not as great as that of the Jewish religious leaders who turned Jesus over to the governor, nor that of Judas, who betrayed his Lord. (Joh 19:11; 17:12) Jesus told Pharisees of his day that if they were blind, they would have no sin, evidently meaning that their sins could be forgiven by God on the basis of their ignorance; however, because they denied being in ignorance, ‘their sin remained.’ (Joh 9:39-41) Jesus said they had “no excuse for their sin” because they were witnesses of the powerful words and works proceeding from him as the result of God’s spirit on him. (Joh 15:22-24; Lu 4:18) Those who, either in word or by their course of action, willfully and knowingly blasphemed God’s spirit thus manifested would be “guilty of everlasting sin,” with no forgiveness possible. (Mt 12:31, 32; Mr 3:28-30; compare Joh 15:26; 16:7, 8.) This could be the case with some who came to be Christians and then deliberately turned from God’s pure worship. Hebrews 10:26, 27 states that “if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.”

At 1 John 5:16, 17, John evidently refers to willful, knowing sin in speaking of “a sin that does incur death” as contrasted with one that does not. (Compare Nu 15:30.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.