Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
It seems we often go "round and round" about certain passages; a meaning is discussed, and no one can dispute; but then the previous (overturned) understanding is still asserted, and the refutation must be posted again. And then the previous overturned understanding is posted again.

So let's see if we can establish meanings of certain passages, in hopes that they will assist discussions.

:)

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
"The natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him --- he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned."

This verse often is perceived to mean "unregenerated men cannot believe savingly in Jesus, because he cannot understand spiritual things."

Let's read two verses earlier:
"We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God." 1Cor2:12

The "THINGS" in verse 14, are the same "THINGS" as in verse 12. And the "things" of verse 12 are revealed through the RECEIVED Spirit.

"RECEIVED Spirit" reveals the spiritual things of verse 14; natural man does not understand those spiritual things, because he has not received the Spirit.

Unless some way of receiving the Spirit apart from belief can be given, then it must be established that 1Cor2:14 is NOT including "saving-belief-in-Jesus".

The absolute meaning of 1Cor2:12-14 is therefore:
1. Receive the Spirit (by belief in Jesus)
2. The Spirit reveals the deeper things
3. Because "the things" in both verses are revealed by the RECEIVED Spirit, salvation is not one of "the things".

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
"You do not believe, because you are not My sheep. My sheep hear My voice and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand."

This passage is often thought to assert "no one who is My sheep, can become unsaved" (no one, not even YOURSELF, can snatch you out of His hand). That they did not believe in Jesus because they are not fore-chosen-sheep.

Let's read the passage in context:

Jews: "How long will you keep us in suspense? If You are the Messiah, tell us plainly."

Jesus: "I told you (that I'm the Messiah), and you do not believe (that I'm the Messiah); the works that I do in My Father's name bear witness of Me. But you do not believe (that I'm the Messiah), because you are not My sheep*. My sheep hear My voice and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them and they shall never perish, and no one is able to snatch ('harpazo', sieze or remove forcibly). ...If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe Me, believe the works, and you will know and understand that the Father is in Me and I am in the Father." Jn10:25-28, 38

* "If ANYONE ('tis') enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture." Jn10:9

Verse 9 establishes that those who receive Christ, become His sheep. What else can "find pasture" mean?

The context shows John is NOT asserting "you don't believe Jesus", but rather "you don't believe MESSIAHSHIP". And that is because "you haven't believed Jesus".

Further, the context plainly says: "My works bear witness; if you don't believe Me, then believe My works, and you will know the Father is in Me and I in the Father".

Clearly stated, is the absolute that "you can believe in Me just by looking at My WORKS". Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead, walked on water, fed 3000 and 5000, turned water to wine --- things that expose Him as embodying God.

Because men can believe in Jesus just by looking at what He DID, it is established that this passage does NOT assert "you cannot believe in Me because you are not forechosen-sheep".

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
"In the case of those who once have been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame."

It is sometimes presumed that this verse asserts "they cannot have ever really been saved, 'cause once-fallen it is impossible to ever restore them."

The word for "taste", is "geuomai"; same word as in Heb2:9, "Jesus tasted death". The word for "partakers", is "metochos" --- used in Heb3:1 (partners in a heavenly calling), and 3:14 (partners in Christ). Because it conveys "partner", much more than "superficial partaker", it cannot mean "shallow non-indwelt experiencing the Holy Spirit". Because it says "AGAIN", they must have been repentant once before.

Thus, these people MUST have been saved; and "falling", is real.

So if one falls, is it impossible to be restored? No. "Impossible" is "adunatos", which conveys "unable/powerless/impotent" --- that kind of "impossible". The reason is also clearly stated:

1. Seeing-as (King James)
2. BECAUSE (New International Version)
3. Since (NASV)
4. WHILE! (NASV footnote)

The reason is BECAUSE they crucify Christ to themselves anew. Reflecting Heb10:26, those who willingly walk away from Christ and repentance, will not want to repent.

It is their WILLING SIN that makes it impossible (in the sense of "unable") to restore them to repentance.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems we often go "round and round" about certain passages; a meaning is discussed, and no one can dispute; but then the previous (overturned) understanding is still asserted, and the refutation must be posted again. And then the previous overturned understanding is posted again.

So let's see if we can establish meanings of certain passages, in hopes that they will assist discussions.

The flaw in your logic is simple to see, Ben. You always assert that you have "overturned" or "refuted" any other understanding than that which you see. You don't accept the fact that others do not recognize your understanding as the only possible one. So, you complain that a certain understanding "has been refuted, but is continually brought up as though it hasn't been", which is a subjective, Ben-centered view, which you wish to impose on others. Your "refutations" and "overturnings" are not universally recognized, nor should they be. You need to accept that, and quit whining about it.

You have never accepted that your view is not the be-all and end-all of theological discussion. You post many scriptures, to be sure, but you refuse to understand that we have seen you take scriptures out of context, re-word them, leave portions out, and insert marginal readings in place of the main, where you think the marginal supports your view more fully, totally ignoring the clear fact that there is a reason why they are marginal readings.

You post long-winded and sometimes multiple posts which are so convoluted and hard to navigate, that most just give up in frustration. You jump from subject to subject, to avoid being pinned down on any one. I've interacted with you long enough to know that when you do get pinned down, you fall silent, and disappear for a while. You have never, ever admitted to being wrong about anything, even when it has been clearly shown by others that you are wrong, that your understanding is not biblical, and not once have you modified or changed your position, acknowledging that you had it wrong. Not once.

The real issue here is your crusade against Calvinism. You still have not published the book you claim to be writing, and you are on record as stating that the day the book is published and hits the bookshelves, "Calvinism is finished". That's a very strong claim for what is still, as of this moment, "vaporware". Plus, I think it's incredibly arrogant and presumptuous of you to make such a grandiose claim, especially since there are many of us here who have interacted with you long enough to know your writing style, and your thought process. If your book is anything like your posts here (that is, if it is ever actually published), the peer review will sink it like a lead weight.

Sorry Ben, your reasoning has been shown to be circular, contradictory, unbiblical, confusing, frustrating, and long-winded. I don't care how many scriptures you quote, doing so does not automatically confer correctness. The Word of God must be rightly divided, and skillfully used and understood, otherwise, it is nothing but a clanging gong, a crashing cymbal, and white noise. It is obvious to many here that you have never really dug in to understand the passages you throw around. And, you get stuck on a certain way of looking at certain passages, and never move beyond that, even when you've been unequivocally shown to not understand the meaning of the passage.

Ben, you're unteachable, and unreachable. You want to establish "absolute meanings" on YOUR terms, and ONLY on YOUR terms.

That is not going to fly with anyone here.

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
Originally Posted by Ben johnson

How true that is Ben. Though I don't always agree with you, I believe it is a pride issue with some especially those who refuse to accept good clarification even when it is demanded by them. We have many times seen where the clarification has been purposely mis-construed/mis-represented for personal advantage followed by false mis-leading accusations born in ignorance that, because of pride, becomes willful.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

To Ben, and all,

The flaw in your logic is simple to see, Ben. You always assert that you have "overturned" or "refuted" any other understanding than that which you see. You don't accept the fact that others do not recognize your understanding as the only possible one. So, you complain that a certain understanding "has been refuted, but is continually brought up as though it hasn't been", which is a subjective, Ben-centered view, which you wish to impose on others. Your "refutations" and "overturnings" are not universally recognized, nor should they be. You need to accept that, and quit whining about it.
You have never accepted that your view is not the be-all and end-all of theological discussion. You post many scriptures, to be sure, but you refuse to understand that we have seen you take scriptures out of context, re-word them, leave portions out, and insert marginal readings in place of the main, where you think the marginal supports your view more fully, totally ignoring the clear fact that there is a reason why they are marginal readings.
Sorry Ben, your reasoning has been shown to be circular, contradictory, unbiblical, confusing, frustrating, and long-winded. I don't care how many scriptures you quote, doing so does not automatically confer correctness. The Word of God must be rightly divided, and skillfully used and understood, otherwise, it is nothing but a clanging gong, a crashing cymbal, and white noise. It is obvious to many here that you have never really dug in to understand the passages you throw around. And, you get stuck on a certain way of looking at certain passages, and never move beyond that, even when you've been unequivocally shown to not understand the meaning of the passage.
Ben, you're unteachable, and unreachable. You want to establish "absolute meanings" on YOUR terms, and ONLY on YOUR terms.
And that is also true of you, Nobdysfool. It is true of everyone using sola scriptura. How can it be wrong, it is your personal interpretation, and it is paramount over any and all other comers.
And this is precisely why Sola Scriptura is null and void. You cannot prove anything from scripture. Calvinists cannot disprove Arminian interpretation, and vice versa. You cannot even disprove Mormonism from Scripture. Your original premise that Scripture is authoritative has never been proven by sola scriptura. All you are proving is the anyone can say anything based on scripture. If you disagree with that, just look at the history of protestantism. It is getting grossly multiplied in the last 50 years. It has become a privatized gospel for one, maybe a few, but has never been established as a universal Gospel which was given.

But just a reminder to you Ben, I am still waiting for your responses in the thread "conversation with an Orthodox". I have bumped it up, just so you don't forget.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have learned to be careful how I read posts and need to look from doctrinal perspective rather than each of our own satisfaction. I do not want to read watered down gospel doctrines because it is false gospel and doctrinally wrong. I can see many posts like that. It is my responsibility as a Christian to discern and I don't want to be gullible. I can either be gullible or discerner. I choose to be a discerner.

In the Christian life, thinking is crucial, emotions are crucial and doctrines are crucial. Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. The heart is the source of our emotions, thoughts and motives. Holy Spirit's convictions are to break down our pleasures, pride, passions, selfish motives so that we can be saved. Understanding and accepting faith is one thing and 'actual conversion by the conviction of the Holy Spirit' is another. Spiritual faith is so different than human faith, saving faith can only come from the Holy Spirit.

God will not hold me responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination, and the divine sovereignty because ONLY GOD knows. Sovereignly decreed that man should be free to exercise choice that man's will is free because God is sovereign. That is why the Apostle Paul wrote, “Your salvation is nothing you have achieved by your good works (human decisions). It is a gift of God (conviction of the Holy Spirit). You receive it by faith. That way no one can boast of his own accomplishments.” Ephesians 2:8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
To Ben, and all,

And that is also true of you, Nobdysfool. It is true of everyone using sola scriptura. How can it be wrong, it is your personal interpretation, and it is paramount over any and all other comers.
And this is precisely why Sola Scriptura is null and void. You cannot prove anything from scripture. Calvinists cannot disprove Arminian interpretation, and vice versa. You cannot even disprove Mormonism from Scripture. Your original premise that Scripture is authoritative has never been proven by sola scriptura. All you are proving is the anyone can say anything based on scripture. If you disagree with that, just look at the history of protestantism. It is getting grossly multiplied in the last 50 years. It has become a privatized gospel for one, maybe a few, but has never been established as a universal Gospel which was given.

But just a reminder to you Ben, I am still waiting for your responses in the thread "conversation with an Orthodox". I have bumped it up, just so you don't forget.
You are wrong, Rightglory, dead wrong.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To Ben, and all,

I followed various theologians from different background. Some are Reformed theologians (i.e. Calvinism/Lutheranism) and some are not reformed (i.e. Arminianism). One of my favorite Theologians is Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones who Dr. Lloyd-Jones was brought up in Welsh Calvinistic Methodism. My other favorite is A.W. Tozer who was neither pure Calvinist or pure Arminianist.

I read all kinds doctrines from various theologians, perhaps, I closer to an agreement with Reformed theologies (Lutheranism and Calvinism) for one reason, it is close to traditional as well as close to truth. From the "surface", Christians are looking for any denominations or non-denominational churches who teaches the way people WANT to hear so they could give their time to pursuits more to their liking. I didn't say Reformed theology is truth because on the Bible is truth while doctrines are taught by man and I believe that Reformed doctrines are closer to truth than any other doctrines. I am a Christian FIRST. Secondary is the doctrines I rely on which are Reformed (Lutheranism/Calvinism).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Whatever different believers feel about Scripture ("Eastern Orthodox Greek", "Catholic", "Protestant", "Messianic Jewish", etcetera) --- we agree that all contained, is valid and "useful for doctrine, reproof, correction, training".
Quote:
The flaw in your logic is simple to see, Ben. You always assert that you have "overturned" or "refuted" any other understanding than that which you see.
I have overturned nothing; in this thread are examples of Scriptural absolutes. They don't belong to Ben, they don't belong to anyone. If what I've presented conflicts Scripture, then cite your corroboration and Scriptural analysis.
Quote:
You don't accept the fact that others do not recognize your understanding as the only possible one. So, you complain that a certain understanding "has been refuted, but is continually brought up as though it hasn't been", which is a subjective, Ben-centered view, which you wish to impose on others. Your "refutations" and "overturnings" are not universally recognized, nor should they be. You need to accept that, and quit whining about it.
This position only has credibility, when you respond with Scriptures, answering what I posted.
Quote:
There are three posts opening this thread; choose one and address it. WITH Scripture.
Quote:
You post long-winded and sometimes multiple posts which are so convoluted and hard to navigate, that most just give up in frustration. You jump from subject to subject, to avoid being pinned down on any one. I've interacted with you long enough to know that when you do get pinned down, you fall silent, and disappear for a while.
Groundless charges; sometimes someone in my family dies, sometimes I have commitments in the "real world". I have ALWAYS come back and answered things (including hostile charges of "dishonesty"). I have always made great effort to write with kindness and respect.
Quote:
You have never, ever admitted to being wrong about anything, even when it has been clearly shown by others that you are wrong, that your understanding is not biblical, and not once have you modified or changed your position, acknowledging that you had it wrong. Not once.
Here is your chance; pick one of the three opening posts, and tell me how what I posted, is wrong.

2. The received Spirit does NOT reveal the "things" in 2Cor2:14.
3. Jesus is NOT saying "you can believe in Me just buy looking at what I've done".
4. Those in Heb6:4-6 were NEVER REALLY saved (explain "geuomai" and 2:9, and "metochos" and 3:1 & 14); or --- it's hypothetical 100%-effective-means to keep us saved.

Deal with all three of those. Prove they permit any form of "OSAS".

With sincere respect --- you accuse me of "long windedness"; but make posts that do much protesting, with no Scriptural support. The times you have offered Scriptures, they've been answered, with the same clear understanding as presented here.

Take one of the green positions above (which are the oppositions to what I've said), and prove it (or write your own).

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Quoted by Jim:
I have learned to be careful how I read posts and need to look from doctrinal perspective rather than each of our own satisfaction. I do not want to read watered down gospel doctrines because it is false gospel and doctrinally wrong. I can see many posts like that. It is my responsibility as a Christian to discern and I don't want to be gullible. I can either be gullible or discerner. I choose to be a discerner.

In the Christian life, thinking is crucial, emotions are crucial and doctrines are crucial. Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. The heart is the source of our emotions, thoughts and motives. Holy Spirit's convictions are to break down our pleasures, pride, passions, selfish motives so that we can be saved. Understanding and accepting faith is one thing and 'actual conversion by the conviction of the Holy Spirit' is another...
Jim, these words of yours, can ONLY come from one intimately knowing the Holy Spirit. Whatever our disagreements, it is a privilege and honor to be in God's family with you.
Quote:
Spiritual faith is so different than human faith, saving faith can only come from the Holy Spirit.
Perhaps we'll discuss "saving faith", next. I've read the verses offered in support of "God-instilled/gifted-faith", and I've read many verses that assert the opposite; obviously I'm convicted by the latter.
Quote:
God will not hold me responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination, and the divine sovereignty because ONLY GOD knows.
I cannot think of any major theological precept, that is "far above man's understanding". Scripture is God-inspired (literally, "God breathed"). As such, we discuss theology, to teach and learn which understanding reflects the intent of the writer.
Quote:
Sovereignly decreed that man should be free to exercise choice that man's will is free because God is sovereign. That is why the Apostle Paul wrote, “Your salvation is nothing you have achieved by your good works (human decisions). It is a gift of God (conviction of the Holy Spirit). You receive it by faith. That way no one can boast of his own accomplishments.” Ephesians 2:8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."
Good idea; though NO discussion of the first three absolutes has yet occurred here. I'd like to see them answered, then perhaps we can do a more "diversefied" discussion of "saving-faith".

I say "diversefied", because these three passages present absolutes alone; as the "Faith" discussion is tossing around in my head, it occurs to me it will take as many as a dozen passages. Most of which will be seen to say the same thing.

Thank you for an excellent post, Jim.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Quoted by Jim:

In the Christian life, thinking is crucial, emotions are crucial and doctrines are crucial. Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. The heart is the source of our emotions, thoughts and motives. Holy Spirit's convictions are to break down our pleasures, pride, passions, selfish motives so that we can be saved. Understanding and accepting faith is one thing and 'actual conversion by the conviction of the Holy Spirit' is another...
Jim, these words of yours, can ONLY come from one intimately knowing the Holy Spirit. Whatever our disagreements, it is a privilege and honor to be in God's family with you.
Quote:
Spiritual faith is so different than human faith, saving faith can only come from the Holy Spirit.
Perhaps we'll discuss "saving faith", next. I've read the verses offered in support of "God-instilled/gifted-faith", and I've read many verses that assert the opposite; obviously I'm convicted by the latter.
Quote:
God will not hold me responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination, and the divine sovereignty because ONLY GOD knows.
I cannot think of any major theological precept, that is "far above man's understanding". Scripture is God-inspired (literally, "God breathed"). As such, we discuss theology, to teach and learn which understanding reflects the intent of the writer.
Quote:
Sovereignly decreed that man should be free to exercise choice that man's will is free because God is sovereign. That is why the Apostle Paul wrote, “Your salvation is nothing you have achieved by your good works (human decisions). It is a gift of God (conviction of the Holy Spirit). You receive it by faith. That way no one can boast of his own accomplishments.” Ephesians 2:8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."
Good idea; though NO discussion of the first three absolutes has yet occurred here. I'd like to see them answered, then perhaps we can do a more "diversefied" discussion of "saving-faith".

I say "diversefied", because these three passages present absolutes alone; as the "Faith" discussion is tossing around in my head, it occurs to me it will take as many as a dozen passages. Most of which will be seen to say the same thing.

Thank you for an excellent post, Jim.
I don't know from flesh point of view whether the doctrines I follow are 100% true unless I allow the Holy Spirit to convict my heart to follow certain doctrines. I am 49 years old (been a Christian over 30 years), I have learned so much about doctrines since I was a teen. To this day, I never met a Christian who agrees with my beliefs 100% and I also have not met a Christian who I agree with their beliefs 100%. Including my own wife, my parents and even my Christian mentor.

Faith is the root of works that only the Holy Spirit provides. Without the Holy Spirit, the root is dead, even our own works are dead even as a hypocrite. Andrew Murray have said "Self is the root, the branches, the tree, of all the evil of our fallen state". A humbled Christian is a Christian with flaws which humbles them that is more useful to God than hypocrite action that puffs them up. I am reminded of this quote by D.L Moody, "Character is what you are in the dark". With that thought, a true character is what and who you are in Christ.

Regardless of the teachings (doctrines), we all are Christian first according to Jesus Christ's teachings (not the denominational's teachings). It is total faith in Christ and not in a denomination or church, though you may love the church and respect and love your leaders and your denomination. But your commitment is to Christ. As Christian believers (assuming each of us are a believer), the Holy Spirit will lead each of us to the truth. Proneness to heresy is not confined to the cults. By nature, we are all heretics. People often unconsciously select for special attention certain Scriptures that they are familiar with that they forget to check to see the Scriptures for deeper study. Lack of balance scripturally is often the direct consequence of overemphasis on certain favorite passages while ignoring others that are related.

In summary, I am saying that the Holy Spirit gave me assurance of my faith and doctrines I follow. No Church (physical), No Denomination (flesh lead), No pastors or anyone can do this for me. Holy Spirit (as part of the spiritual Church) is the only person who can do this through the Word of God. What I can is knowing God is through right thinking about God which is very essential to true intimacy with Him. All we can know with any certainty about God is what is revealed in Scripture. I know the true God in the true way is thoroughly familiar with His Word which is the Bible.

God's Word (the Bible) sometimes wounds us deeply and it is imperative because through the Bible, God speaks loudly. The Word of God (Bible) rebukes US we we read so that we may see our OWN faults (not others). The Bible illumines the dark corners of our own hearts and minds by exposing our OWN sin but at the same time reveals the way of truth. Life experiences leads me to God and the key is knowing "WHO" I am "inside" as Christ see me. Knowledge is knowing that Jesus wore a crown of thorns that I do NOT wish to wear a crown of gold. Knowledge of the mystery is having the reality of an experience of knowing God personally and consciously. No matter how much knowledge we have in the Mystery of God, we will never fully comprehend God until we die.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Quoted by Rightglory:
And this is precisely why Sola Scriptura is null and void. You cannot prove anything from scripture.
I disagree, RG. Take the three passages. First, it is proven that the RECEIVED Spirit reveals the "things" of verse 12. So our choices are limited:
1. "Things" in 14 are different than "things" in 12
2. The Spirit can be received WITHOUT belief.
3. The "things" of verse 14, do not include "saving-faith in Jesus".

Only three possibilities; and only #3 is credible.

Second, John10 is proven that "you do not believe" means "you don't believe I'm the MESSIAH". Further, it's proven that Jesus said "If you do not believe in Me, then believe in My works, and you will know and understand the Father is in Me and I'm in the Father". Again, our choices are limited:
1. Jesus is NOT saying "you can believe in Me by looking at what I've done."
2. Knowing/understanding is not "believing savingly".
3. Jesus really asserted that His miracles proved He was the Messiah.

Again, only #3 is credible.

The third passage asserts that those who fall from salvation, willingly, will not want to repent. Three choices:
1. "Taste" and "partner" change MEANINGS between the cited verses. They were never saved.
2. It's hypothetical; not really situation and/or people.
3. We need to mature, not spending forever speaking of repentance; for those who WERE saved but now are willingly unrepentant, those sermons will be wasted.

Only #3 is credible. If any #1's or #2's are credible, they need to be supported, and with other verses.
Quote:
Calvinists cannot disprove Arminian interpretation, and vice versa. You cannot even disprove Mormonism from Scripture.
I certainly can. I love for Mormons and JW's to come to my door (that is, when I'm not calling their numbers and teaching them.) And I made this thread so we can establish Scriptural absolutes --- which ARE established, unless they're credibly refuted.
Quote:
Your original premise that Scripture is authoritative has never been proven by sola scriptura. All you are proving is the anyone can say anything based on scripture. If you disagree with that, just look at the history of protestantism. It is getting grossly multiplied in the last 50 years. It has become a privatized gospel for one, maybe a few, but has never been established as a universal Gospel which was given.
In this post, I've re-stated the three opening "absolutes", and offered only three understandings for each.

If any #1's or #2's are chosen, that choice must be supported with Scripture. If NONE of the choices are acceptible, then a fourth is requested, supported with Scripture.

All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2Tm3:16-17
Quote:
I am behind my time; forgive me for being slow. Have to answer that thread, a couple of PM's, and a similar thread on an entire other message board.

Sometimes I think I don't get the same amount of time in a day as others do. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Rightglory

JimfromOhio,

I am a Christian FIRST. Secondary is the doctrines I rely on which are Reformed (Lutheranism/Calvinism).
Saying one is a Christian is becoming quite meaningless as time goes on. Just what brand of Christianity would one be speaking about. What Christ, what God are we referencing.
Yet, Christ clearly stated there was but ONE FAITH. It was a universal Gospel that He gave the the Apostles, and it is the SAME Gospel that was imparted to the first Century Church. It is the SAME GOSPEL that the Holy Spirit promised to preserve within that Body of Christ.
The Scripture is not the whole of the Gospel. It is taken from the whole, the oral Tradition. It was not even recorded until almost 30 years later and finished 70 years after Christ left this earth. To extract a Book, Holy, Inspired, though it may be, and attempt to cipher some meaning from it as a stand-a-lone book is futile. Four hundred years of sola scriptura has yet to even establish that what most claim, it is authoritative. What is authoritative is man and his futile attempt to interpret a brand of faith by his own wisdom and logic from a Book.
Christianity was meant to be a life lived In Christ. Not first trying to determine what Christinaity might mean as to the Gospel, and never getting around to applying it. That is why Christ, through the Holy Spirit gave us the Gospel with instructions on how to live it by His authority, not ours.
It is also why He gave us His Church. It is the Church, with Christ as Head, that is the sole authority, the pillar and ground of truth, not man. Individual man has NEVER had a role to play within the Church respective of that Truth, even Bishops. Every man is still a sinful creature, and historically, every innovation of new theological thought was from a single man, and each time it was declared "not Gospel". It did not even start out with one man, but twelve Apostles, yet most protestants and the Pope, should not forget him, thinks that revelation comes to individuals.

The way you are stating your understanding of the Gospel, I could go out into the mission field and simply say I am a Christian. Then on Monday, teach Calvinism, and on Tuesday teach the Arminian brand, and then Wednesday another say, water baptism, but on Thursday teach that baptism is not even important, it is just getting wet. Has no meaning whatsoever. What kind of confusion do you think that unbeliever will have? Do you think He will believe in anything?
Is this the Unity Christ prayed for, and do you think He is powerless to guide the Church in that Unity?
If one accepts Christ's authority and His Gospel as He gave it, has preserved it, within His Body, then that unity has always been there from the beginning. That Church is unified in faith and practice. It is unifed IN Christ, exemplified by the Eucharist, His Blood and Body.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Ben,

I disagree, RG. Take the three passages. First, it is proven that the RECEIVED Spirit reveals the "things" of verse 12. So our choices are limited:
1. "Things" in 14 are different than "things" in 12
2. The Spirit can be received WITHOUT belief.
3. The "things" of verse 14, do not include "saving-faith in Jesus".
Only three possibilities; and only #3 is credible.

You may disagree, but you you have not established that it is proven. You have proven it for yourself, and whatever name of faith you wish it call it. In this instance I happen to agree with you, not because I developed a similar view and it just happens to align. It happens to align with what has always been believed, to a point. In regard to our other discussion you, theologically, have a dead man believing, hearing and being received by faith.
But the point I am making is that you have not proven this to the Calvinist or any other variation. They will make their own determination of what it might mean. Thus is is not a standard, or doctrine of scripture. It is a doctrine or standard of your view ONLY.
I cannot prove anything from scripture either. All I can show is the evidence that the Gospel has never changed throughout history within His Church, the Body of Christ. Now, I understand you will not accept that terminology, but then neither did most people that have lived on this earth so far. Most, in fact, have denied, or rejected the Gospel that Christ gave and vivified by the Holy Spirit in time, preserved by Him.
Every single heretic came armed with his interpretation of scripture. Scripture is not the determinate element, but the "rule of faith." It is what has always been believed and understood as the Gospel. Man, no individual man has been able to change it and I challenge you to find one that did, since the beginning. It started with the "Ecumenical Council" in Jerusealm recorded in Acts. They met as an Assembly, discussed the difficulty, decided on the solution, which happened to be what is confirmed in the rest of Scripture, that one did not need to be circumcised as a Gentile to be a Christian. That is the way it has been done ever since and approved in time by the Ecclessia which is the Body of Christ. That Body is getting massive today, with 2000 years of consensus belief and practice that will not be overturned.

I certainly can. I love for Mormons and JW's to come to my door (that is, when I'm not calling their numbers and teaching them.) And I made this thread so we can establish Scriptural absolutes --- which ARE established, unless they're credibly refuted.

But they can be credibly refuted by them. All you are doing is saying that your interpretation is credible and all others are not. It has nothing to do with what scripture actually says and means and foremost, what it has always meant. All you are showing is that Mormonism of JW's do not align with your interpretation.
Joseph Smith was at least honest enough to admit that he added to scripture with his vision and follow up of the Book of Mormon. But they abide by Scripture by their interpreation just like you. Joseph Smith is a product of protestantism. So are all the others.

Arius and Nicene Council could have done the same thing. We would still be debating the Trinity, or Nestoris and Athanasius, and we would still be debating the Incarnation. In both cases it was not scripture alone or sola scriptura, but the understanding, or belief that had always been understood. In both cases Arius and Nestorius were shown to have been new, innovative and not beleived by those of the first three centuries.

That has become the true test of faith. Any doctrine can be checked against the view that has always been believed. It still does not mean that one needs to accept it. Christ does not compel any man to believe, as you clearly point out. But we also know that most over time have rejected that once given Gospel that was proclaimed in unity of faith and practice in the early Church all over the Roman Empire and eventually spread far beyond, yet always the same Gospel. Never a pesons particular brand of interpretation.
It is most unfortunate that the west was so greatly influenced by the Roman Catholic Church. They had a history of bridled disagreement for 500 years before they split and unbridled for 500 years more when many new innovative doctrines came about, not found in scripture, nor in faith and practice the Holy Tradition.

The Reformers seeing the abuse that one man can make and stray, mostly against Tradition, thought it safe to lay hold of the Bible and make it the sole authority for faith and practice. Unfortunately the Bible is not such a Book. It is not a treatise, nor a systmatic theology. But, nevertheless, Protestants isolated a Book from its context and full content, then proceeded to give authority to each individual to develop their own form of faith. This was mostly bridled for almost 300 years with the onset of denominations, variations of interpretations. But in the latter half of the Twentieth Century, protestantism, or Sola Scriptura, to be more precise, has run amonk and is becoming a priviatized form of religion. A religion of one or of a few. Just look around you.
The more sectarian, the smaller the denomination. The big mega churches are most non-sectarian, a safe harbor for all, with no pronounced doctrines that might divide. They have union of individuals, but no unity in faith. Hardly what Christ had in mind.

In this post, I've re-stated the three opening "absolutes", and offered only three understandings for each.
If any #1's or #2's are chosen, that choice must be supported with Scripture. If NONE of the choices are acceptible, then a fourth is requested, supported with Scripture.

Proves nothing but your interpretation. It has YOUR authority, not scripture. I can find many who will disagree with you. Just check the history of the account of the Nicene Council with Arius. He was using nothing but scripture in his support of non-trinitarian understanding. These same arguments are still used by some protestant groups today. But it was not what was always understood by those of the first three centuries, so Arius' view did not stand.

I am behind my time; forgive me for being slow. Have to answer that thread, a couple of PM's, and a similar thread on an entire other message board.
Sometimes I think I don't get the same amount of time in a day as others do.
Take your time, set your priorities, I'll just keep checking in.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Quoted by Rightglory:
You may disagree, but you you have not established that it is proven. You have proven it for yourself, and whatever name of faith you wish it call it. In this instance I happen to agree with you, not because I developed a similar view and it just happens to align. It happens to align with what has always been believed, to a point. In regard to our other discussion you, theologically, have a dead man believing, hearing and being received by faith.
That's correct --- and this Scriptural truth also conflicts Calvinism.

Spiritually dead (physically alive) men, can believe. Not any kind of "Pelagianism", either.
Quote:
But the point I am making is that you have not proven this to the Calvinist or any other variation. They will make their own determination of what it might mean. Thus is is not a standard, or doctrine of scripture. It is a doctrine or standard of your view ONLY.
The proof, is the fact that the "things" of both verses (12 & 14), are revealed by the RECEIVED Spirit.

This places "receive", before "reveal-things". And that is something the Calvinists who used to cite this verse, didn't consider. It is an "absolute".
Quote:
I cannot prove anything from scripture either. All I can show is the evidence that the Gospel has never changed throughout history within His Church, the Body of Christ. Now, I understand you will not accept that terminology, but then neither did most people that have lived on this earth so far. Most, in fact, have denied, or rejected the Gospel that Christ gave and vivified by the Holy Spirit in time, preserved by Him.
Throughout history, men have been capable of error. We have the Scripture in a better form than the early fathers had; more documented Greek sources, with understanding of the language. We have computers and concordances, commentaries and discussions.
Quote:
Every single heretic came armed with his interpretation of scripture. Scripture is not the determinate element, but the "rule of faith." It is what has always been believed and understood as the Gospel. Man, no individual man has been able to change it and I challenge you to find one that did, since the beginning. It started with the "Ecumenical Council" in Jerusealm recorded in Acts. They met as an Assembly, discussed the difficulty, decided on the solution, which happened to be what is confirmed in the rest of Scripture, that one did not need to be circumcised as a Gentile to be a Christian. That is the way it has been done ever since and approved in time by the Ecclessia which is the Body of Christ. That Body is getting massive today, with 2000 years of consensus belief and practice that will not be overturned.
Either certain things can be established in Scripture, or it is useless to use the Bible to contend for anything.
Quote:
But they can be credibly refuted by them.No, they can't. Mormons with whom I've talked, can only say:
"I never knew that!"
"I never read that!"
"I didn't know!"

JW's with whom I've talked, take their Bible back and hold it tightly (because I'm looking up verses in THEIR ALTERED TEXT and overturning their beliefs) --- then they quite literally run away.
Quote:
All you are doing is saying that your interpretation is credible and all others are not. It has nothing to do with what scripture actually says and means and foremost, what it has always meant. All you are showing is that Mormonism of JW's do not align with your interpretation.
The Bible is inspired by God. He is the author of truth, and not confusion.

There are "absolutes" in the Bible.
Quote:
Joseph Smith was at least honest enough to admit that he added to scripture with his vision and follow up of the Book of Mormon. But they abide by Scripture by their interpreation just like you. Joseph Smith is a product of protestantism. So are all the others.
We're establishing absolutes; if not, then they can be disputed.
Quote:
Arius and Nicene Council could have done the same thing. We would still be debating the Trinity, or Nestoris and Athanasius, and we would still be debating the Incarnation. In both cases it was not scripture alone or sola scriptura, but the understanding, or belief that had always been understood. In both cases Arius and Nestorius were shown to have been new, innovative and not believed by those of the first three centuries.
When we take "addition" to Scripture, the chance for error from men appears.
Quote:
That has become the true test of faith. Any doctrine can be checked against the view that has always been believed. It still does not mean that one needs to accept it. Christ does not compel any man to believe, as you clearly point out. But we also know that most over time have rejected that once given Gospel that was proclaimed in unity of faith and practice in the early Church all over the Roman Empire and eventually spread far beyond, yet always the same Gospel. Never a peson's particular brand of interpretation.Even if something has been "prominently held" for centuries, if it can be shown contrary to Scripture, Scripture prevails.

Those who wrote Scripture, talked with Jesus personally, one-on-one. (Well, Paul talked with those who did.)
Quote:
It is most unfortunate that the west was so greatly influenced by the Roman Catholic Church. They had a history of bridled disagreement for 500 years before they split and unbridled for 500 years more when many new innovative doctrines came about, not found in scripture, nor in faith and practice the Holy Tradition.
And any concept conflicted by Scripture, must be rejected.
Quote:
The Reformers seeing the abuse that one man can make and stray, mostly against Tradition, thought it safe to lay hold of the Bible and make it the sole authority for faith and practice. Unfortunately the Bible is not such a Book. It is not a treatise, nor a systmatic theology. But, nevertheless, Protestants isolated a Book from its context and full content, then proceeded to give authority to each individual to develop their own form of faith. This was mostly bridled for almost 300 years with the onset of denominations, variations of interpretations. But in the latter half of the Twentieth Century, protestantism, or Sola Scriptura, to be more precise, has run amonk and is becoming a priviatized form of religion. A religion of one or of a few. Just look around you.
The more sectarian, the smaller the denomination. The big mega churches are most non-sectarian, a safe harbor for all, with no pronounced doctrines that might divide. They have union of individuals, but no unity in faith. Hardly what Christ had in mind.
RG, this post is speaking of "absolutes". For example, it is an absolute that the THINGS in 1Cor2:14, are revealed by the RECEIVED Spirit. This is not debatable, it is not interpretable, it is established.
Quote:
Proves nothing but your interpretation. It has YOUR authority, not scripture. I can find many who will disagree with you. Just check the history of the account of the Nicene Council with Arius. He was using nothing but scripture in his support of non-trinitarian understanding. These same arguments are still used by some protestant groups today. But it was not what was always understood by those of the first three centuries, so Arius' view did not stand.
Oh it DID stand, if Scripture is "malleable".

That's the point, RG; Jesus is God, the Spirit is God; one cannot become the other (modalism), they are three persons of one Being. And that, can be established, absolutely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
JimfromOhio,

Saying one is a Christian is becoming quite meaningless as time goes on. Just what brand of Christianity would one be speaking about. What Christ, what God are we referencing.
Yet, Christ clearly stated there was but ONE FAITH. It was a universal Gospel that He gave the the Apostles, and it is the SAME Gospel that was imparted to the first Century Church. It is the SAME GOSPEL that the Holy Spirit promised to preserve within that Body of Christ.
The Scripture is not the whole of the Gospel. It is taken from the whole, the oral Tradition.

But that is the problem, isn't it Right. The oral tradition before anything was written.

Jesus spoke of the kingdom of God more than any other subject while on earth. Redemption and salvation were secondary but necessary issues to be understood that opens the door to the kingdom. By the time the creeds were written heresies abounded concerning salvation and the result was little was mentioned, if anything, concerning the kingdom message of Jesus Christ. Examine the plethora of documants by the church fathers for the evidence of this truth. The [c]hurch as the mainstay of the gospel and the kingdom was substituted in by men who had been persuaded by untoward compromised teachings. Examine the creeds and you will not find the kingdom mentioned aside from the Lords prayer. Eveything pertains to salvation and how belonging to the "[c]hurch" is the only way to arrive at it. One didn't even have to believe in Christ. For the purposes of Himself, God allowed this for 1500 yrs and then instigated the change that is still changing unto the fullness of the gospel in the hearts and minds of those hungering and thirsting after righteousness, of any denomination..

Upvote 0

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Ben, I concur with Post #2, that is the correct understanding. Further, in 1 Corinthians 3:1, we see that men in the flesh understand just as babes in Christ understand, neither having learned the spiritual things discerned through the indwelt Spirit. But able, in the flesh, to understand milk, which refers to the milk of the gospel.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.