Essential doctrines of the Christian Faith?

Navair2

May the Lord Jesus Christ be magnified above all
Nov 18, 2020
Somewhere west of Chicago.
✟36,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In your opinions, what are essential doctrines one must believe and hold onto to be considered a Christian and thus be eternally secure and saved?
Beliefs don't save anyone...
God does.

A saved person then believes His words ( John 8:43-47 ).
In fact, the Lord Jesus told those who did not believe on Him, why they did not...

" But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand."
( John 10:26-28 ).

Lastly, every word of God is for the believer to live by ( Matthew 4:4, Luke 4:4 ).
In other words, if a person is one of God's elect, he or she will believe every bit of the Bible.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well if we believe in a Jesus that never existed, then how can we be saved by him? I could believe that Jesus was just a man that lived, nobody special, just a wandering Rabbi. I could even believe that wandering Rabbi died for everyone for some reason. But that's not the Jesus of scripture. So I would be believing a lie.

I think when you are born again, you will know Jesus personally. But, I said: "died for our salvation." You need to know the need of salvation and that that is why Jesus died and rose again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think when you are born again, you will know Jesus personally. But, I said: "died for our salvation." You need to know the need of salvation and that that is why Jesus died and rose again.

So a person who takes salvation lightly cannot be saved?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is a doctrine. So doctrine is important.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In your opinions, what are essential doctrines one must believe and hold onto to be considered a Christian and thus be eternally secure and saved?

Is it, believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If one denies the resurrection or death of Christ can one be saved?

Is it, believing that faith alone in Christ alone by the grace of God is enough to save? Like for an example, having faith in Christ and trusting that he alone can save them and that the cross is sufficient enough to save.

Is it, believing in the doctrines that set Christians apart? This question is partially to do with my previous question but it goes deeper. Like, believing that Christians are eternally secure, believing the truth that God died for his sheep and that he has preset the lives of people around the globe.

Is it, accepting the Nicene or Apostles creed?

Is it, being baptized, partaking of the Eucharist, or any other ritual based salvation system?

Is it our works, or based anything on what we do rather than what Christ has done for us?

Just, what is required for salvation in your opinions? I think I know the answer to my own questions, I just wanted to check the opinions of other Christians. I obviously left some details out but these are the main questions floating around the church today.

I Cor 15

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Is it, believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If one denies the resurrection or death of Christ can one be saved?

Is it, believing that faith alone in Christ alone by the grace of God is enough to save? Like for an example, having faith in Christ and trusting that he alone can save them and that the cross is sufficient enough to save.

Is it, believing in the doctrines that set Christians apart? This question is partially to do with my previous question but it goes deeper. Like, believing that Christians are eternally secure, believing the truth that God died for his sheep and that he has preset the lives of people around the globe.

Is it, accepting the Nicene or Apostles creed?

Is it, being baptized, partaking of the Eucharist, or any other ritual based salvation system?

Is it our works, or based anything on what we do rather than what Christ has done for us?

Just, what is required for salvation in your opinions? I think I know the answer to my own questions, I just wanted to check the opinions of other Christians. I obviously left some details out but these are the main questions floating around the church today.
I do not think that we are saved on the basis of ticking all the correct boxes. Rather, this is what Jesus said.

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Acts 2:21
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Faith and love is easy and lightweight.

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right. You need to have this basic understanding. But that is like 1% of all the doctrines of church today.

Indeed most churches deny the reality of hell even though its stated point blank in scripture and are like "just love God and do good things and he will see your good works and allow you into heaven." not in the Bible at all.

Sadly, when I first converted to Christianity I had a Catholic priest convince me of that. It's the same dangerous drivel my mother believes and its a doctrine straight from the pit of hell.

Idk if my mom's parents believed the same thing. I know my mom said that her parents had a Bible and read it to her and her 8 other brothers and sisters but whether they were Bible believing Christians... I will find out someday.

If my grandfather believed the same drivel my mom does about this all loving happy go lucky god idk.

But yeah, a lot of whats in the Bible churches ignore today. Like marriage being permanent ...etc. Churches are afraid to state the truth because they know they'll lose members which means losing money. Money should not be the first thing on a churches mind it should be saving and reaching the lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I do not think that we are saved on the basis of ticking all the correct boxes. Rather, this is what Jesus said.

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Acts 2:21
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Faith and love is easy and lightweight.

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.

John surely wasn't talking about the OT law as those are impossible for sinful man to keep and were designed to show mankind their need for a savior. Which commandments?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Indeed most churches deny the reality of hell even though its stated point blank in scripture and are like "just love God and do good things and he will see your good works and allow you into heaven." not in the Bible at all.

Sadly, when I first converted to Christianity I had a Catholic priest convince me of that. It's the same dangerous drivel my mother believes and its a doctrine straight from the pit of hell.

Idk if my mom's parents believed the same thing. I know my mom said that her parents had a Bible and read it to her and her 8 other brothers and sisters but whether they were Bible believing Christians... I will find out someday.

If my grandfather believed the same drivel my mom does about this all loving happy go lucky god idk.

But yeah, a lot of whats in the Bible churches ignore today. Like marriage being permanent ...etc. Churches are afraid to state the truth because they know they'll lose members which means losing money. Money should not be the first thing on a churches mind it should be saving and reaching the lost.

Most of us have people close that forget God's justice and only remember His love. My mom said: "If I was God I wouldn't condemn anyone, am I more loving than God?" It's a valid question, but it's also a misunderstanding of love. Love is also to set borders, what is accepted and what is not. True love is also righteous. To allow children to act any way they please is not love. To say: "Then I'm more loving than God", is really saying: "I'm more righteous than God" which of course most understand is absurd.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We Believe in the infallibility of the word of God.
We Believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
We Believe the Gospel of his death, reserrection, and directive to REPENT, be BAPTIZED and receive the HOLYT SPIRIT.

We Believe we are baptized into the body of Christ (the Church) through the Holy Spirit with the Bible evidence of SPEAKING in TONGUES.

We Believe in the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit in the church.
We Believe in prayer for the sick and healing by the power of God.
We Believe the return of Jesus Christ.

Are you listing all of these as requirements of belief one must have in order to be saved?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Do we confess with our mouth and believe in our heart because we have faith, and faith is what God gives us as grace by which He is saving us?

or

Is salvation something we are awarded by God because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Most of us have people close that forget God's justice and only remember His love. My mom said: "If I was God I wouldn't condemn anyone, am I more loving than God?" It's a valid question, but it's also a misunderstanding of love. Love is also to set borders, what is accepted and what is not. True love is also righteous. To allow children to act any way they please is not love. To say: "Then I'm more loving than God", is really saying: "I'm more righteous than God" which of course most understand is absurd.

Yes just absurdity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do we confess with our mouth and believe in our heart because we have faith, and faith is what God gives us as grace by which He is saving us?

or

Is salvation something we are awarded by God because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart?

-CryptoLutheran

An interesting thought, but probably one only God knows.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
An interesting thought, but probably one only God knows.

I'd argue that God has given us the answer, the Apostle Paul consistently teaches that our salvation is by grace alone through faith, not on account of our works. If salvation is by grace alone through faith, then if salvation is conditional upon our work of any kind, then it is no longer grace alone through faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd argue that God has given us the answer, the Apostle Paul consistently teaches that our salvation is by grace alone through faith, not on account of our works. If salvation is by grace alone through faith, then if salvation is conditional upon our work of any kind, then it is no longer grace alone through faith.

-CryptoLutheran

I certainly believe in salvation by grace through faith alone, but what you said before this is one of those circular arguments.
"Do we confess with our mouth and believe in our heart because we have faith"
"Is salvation something we are awarded by God because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart?"
Which is why I said God alone probably knows. I don't try and figure things like this out, it simply is. If I don't understand something I know God does, so that's okay.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I certainly believe in salvation by grace through faith alone, but what you said before this is one of those circular arguments.
"Do we confess with our mouth and believe in our heart because we have faith"
"Is salvation something we are awarded by God because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart?"
Which is why I said God alone probably knows. I don't try and figure things like this out, it simply is. If I don't understand something I know God does, so that's okay.

Well the difference is that one is salvation by grace alone through faith, and the other isn't.

If God awards us salvation because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart, then we are earning salvation by our works. Because confessing with the mouth and believing in the heart are things we do.

A work is nothing more than "something done", if I'm doing something, then it's my work. If God is the one doing something, then it's His work.

I think Scripture teaches that God alone is the one who works to effectually cause our salvation; and His effectual work is by grace, through faith. Faith being something that God gives us. Faith comes from God to us, not faith from us to God. It is with faith, given to us by God, that God regenerates us, in order that we can confess with our mouth and believe in our heart.

It is impossible to confess and believe except by God's grace at work giving us faith.

Believing and not believing having nothing to do with people winning arguments, but everthing to do with the power and work of the Holy Spirit. Conversion and regeneration are works of God, not human works.

That's why I asked my question in the first place. To generate careful thought about this subject. Because it's literally the difference between salvation by grace alone through faith, and salvation by our cooperation with God's grace.

That's what the entire Protestant Reformation was about.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the difference is that one is salvation by grace alone through faith, and the other isn't.

If God awards us salvation because we confessed with our mouth and believed in our heart, then we are earning salvation by our works. Because confessing with the mouth and believing in the heart are things we do.

A work is nothing more than "something done", if I'm doing something, then it's my work. If God is the one doing something, then it's His work.

I think Scripture teaches that God alone is the one who works to effectually cause our salvation; and His effectual work is by grace, through faith. Faith being something that God gives us. Faith comes from God to us, not faith from us to God. It is with faith, given to us by God, that God regenerates us, in order that we can confess with our mouth and believe in our heart.

It is impossible to confess and believe except by God's grace at work giving us faith.

Believing and not believing having nothing to do with people winning arguments, but everthing to do with the power and work of the Holy Spirit. Conversion and regeneration are works of God, not human works.

That's why I asked my question in the first place. To generate careful thought about this subject. Because it's literally the difference between salvation by grace alone through faith, and salvation by our cooperation with God's grace.

That's what the entire Protestant Reformation was about.

-CryptoLutheran

You are preaching to the choir here, I do not believe in salvation by works. And yes I know - I am a protestant. ^_^

Upvote 0