Essential doctrines of the Christian Faith?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In your opinions, what are essential doctrines one must believe and hold onto to be considered a Christian and thus be eternally secure and saved?

Is it, believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If one denies the resurrection or death of Christ can one be saved?

Is it, believing that faith alone in Christ alone by the grace of God is enough to save? Like for an example, having faith in Christ and trusting that he alone can save them and that the cross is sufficient enough to save.

Is it, believing in the doctrines that set Christians apart? This question is partially to do with my previous question but it goes deeper. Like, believing that Christians are eternally secure, believing the truth that God died for his sheep and that he has preset the lives of people around the globe.

Is it, accepting the Nicene or Apostles creed?

Is it, being baptized, partaking of the Eucharist, or any other ritual based salvation system?

Is it our works, or based anything on what we do rather than what Christ has done for us?

Just, what is required for salvation in your opinions? I think I know the answer to my own questions, I just wanted to check the opinions of other Christians. I obviously left some details out but these are the main questions floating around the church today.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not sure that it is "Accepting" the Creeds, but I think that the Creeds are a basic explanation and base statement about what we as Christians believe. What God deems the "minimum" I am not sure, I tend to think He is more forgiving than we often think, but at the same time I also believe that He desires us to do our best to understand what He has presented in the Scriptures and in what He has done through time, and continues to do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First, I think it would be helpful if you decided what your question is going to be.

Is it this?

In your opinions, what are essential doctrines one must believe and hold onto to be considered a Christian

Or is it this?

Just, what is required for salvation in your opinions?

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In your opinions, what are essential doctrines one must believe and hold onto to be considered a Christian and thus be eternally secure and saved?

Is it, believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If one denies the resurrection or death of Christ can one be saved?

Is it, believing that faith alone in Christ alone by the grace of God is enough to save? Like for an example, having faith in Christ and trusting that he alone can save them and that the cross is sufficient enough to save.

Is it, believing in the doctrines that set Christians apart? This question is partially to do with my previous question but it goes deeper. Like, believing that Christians are eternally secure, believing the truth that God died for his sheep and that he has preset the lives of people around the globe.

Is it, being baptized, partaking of the Eucharist, or any other ritual based salvation system?

Is it our works, or based anything on what we do rather than what Christ has done for us?

Just, what is required for salvation in your opinions? I think I know the answer to my own questions, I just wanted to check the opinions of other Christians. I obviously left some details out but these are the main questions floating around the church today.

At its simplist it is as John 3:16 says.
But for the Christian life is not static, they learn about Jesus, what he has done for them, about the resurrection etc,,, that Jesus gave commandments and Christianity starts getting complicated.

If you want to discuss what you believe and why the best place is with your pastor.
Alternatively join achristianityexplored course, the web site of that name will help you find a course, where you can discuss with others about what is Christianity.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure that it is "Accepting" the Creeds, but I think that the Creeds are a basic explanation and base statement about what we as Christians believe. What God deems the "minimum" I am not sure, I tend to think He is more forgiving than we often think, but at the same time I also believe that He desires us to do our best to understand what He has presented in the Scriptures and in what He has done through time, and continues to do.

No I didn't mean "accepting" them but I meant declaring them to be truth. Like, there are Christians who deny the creeds by denying the resurrection of Christ. In my opinion (I wanted to keep my opinion out of this thread but I might as well share some of it) if one denies the resurrection they cannot be saved and should not be called Christians because it is by Christs resurrection that one is made righteous in the eyes of God. Without the resurrection we are still in our sins and stand guilty before God.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Something to consider:
Hebrews 3:
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing
from the living God;
13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called Today, lest any of you be hardened
through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence
steadfast to the end,

15 while it is said:Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.

• Informative
Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To love Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Everything else will fall right into place. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
First, I think it would be helpful if you decided what your question is going to be.

Is it this?

Or is it this?

It was technically both. I apologize if I didn't come off as clear. Let me put it this way, if one is not a Christian they are not saved right? Because, we need Christ for salvation. So my question was what is the bare minimum requirement for one to be considered a Christian and thus obtain salvation? I shared my opinion in the post previous but, there are many different views out there as to what saves.

Catholics say works and the Eucharist/Baptism saves.

There are many Calvinists or Reformed Christians who claim that one has to accept their theologies (I'm not one of them.)

There are Arminians who claim different things.

Some Christians claim that one has to accept certain theology like eternal security ...etc.

Basically, I was just curious on the various different beliefs that Christians have and their defense for each of them.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No I didn't mean "accepting" them but I meant declaring them to be truth. Like, there are Christians who deny the creeds by denying the resurrection of Christ. In my opinion (I wanted to keep my opinion out of this thread but I might as well share some of it) if one denies the resurrection they cannot be saved and should not be called Christians because it is by Christs resurrection that one is made righteous in the eyes of God. Without the resurrection we are still in our sins and stand guilty before God.
I proposed this recently to vehement opposition....
Belief In The Resurrection Is Essential To Saving Faith

Proverbs 21:2

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Romans 10:9-10 "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

Being a Christian is not assenting to a set of correct doctrines, but putting your faith in the person of Jesus, and believing that he is able to redeem you from sin and reconcile you with the Father through His death on the cross, and His subsequent resurrection.

Of course, trusting in Jesus's character and His power to save naturally relies on the assumption that certain aspects the Christian creed are true, otherwise the "faith" will contradict itself and fall apart.

e.g. If we don't believe in the resurrection, we couldn't reasonably believe that Jesus have overcome sin (of which the wages is death) and therefore have the power to save us from ours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,877.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Formally - faith that Jesus is Christ, Lord and that he died for our sins and was resurrected

Internally - being born again and living in a continuous repentance/transformation

Life rules - love God, love your neighbor

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By no means are these complete, as I still have much to read, study and KNOW in The Holy Bible. I encourage everybody to do the same on a daily basis. God bless!

The Basis of the Christian Faith
God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Who was born to a virgin, lived, was crucified, buried, resurrected, and will return to Earth one day so all those who believe in Him and the One Who sent Him shall not die but have everlasting life in the Kingdom of Heaven.[1]
  1. The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Book of Revelation
The Great Commission
The mission of the Christian Church: To spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.[1] It is God's will for all people, regardless of race, gender, class, and ability,[2] to be saved and enter Heaven.[3]
  1. Acts 1:4-8, John 20:19–23, Luke 24:44-49, Matthew 28:16-20
  2. Galatians 3:28, John 3:16-18, Luke 14:1-24
  3. Ezekiel 18:21-24, Matthew 23:37-39, 2 Peter 3:3-9, 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Faith is Extremely Important
Faith in God is the fuel powering the Christian walk with Him. Its importance cannot be overstated.[1]
  1. Hebrews 11:1-40, John 3:1-21, 4:39-42, 5:25-40, 9:35-41, 11:38-44, 12:37-50, 14, 20:24-31, Luke 1:5-25, 5:17-20, 7:1-10, 7:36-50, 8:40-55, 9:37-43, 17:5-6, 17:11-19, 18:1-8, 18:15-17, 18:35-43, Mark 4:35-41, 5:21-43, 9:14-29, 10:13-16, 11:12-25, Matthew 8:5-13, 8:23-27, 9:18-31, 13:53-58, 14:22-31, 15:21-28, 17:14-20, 18:1-5, Romans 10:17
Olivet Discourse
One day, this entire world will end during perilous times,[1] comparable to the days of Noah and Lot.[4] No one, not even the angels, will know when that time will come. Only God Himself will.[2]

Fortunately, there are many signs to look out for.[3]
  1. Ezekiel 38:1-39:29, Isa. 17:1-14, Rev. 1:1-22:21, Psalms 83:1-18, 2 Tim. 3:1-9, Zechariah 12:1-14
  2. Luke 12:35-48, 17:22-29, Mark 13:32-37, Matthew 24:36-51, 2 Peter 3:10-13,
  3. Daniel 9:1-12:13, Luke 17:20-37, 21:5-38, 23:26-31, Mark 13:1-37, Matthew 24:1-25:46, 2 Peter 3:1-9, Revelations 13:11-18, 2 Timothy 4:1-8
  4. Ezekiel 16:49-50, Genesis 6:1-13, 18:16-19:29
Heaven or Hell
Even if the Apocalypse does not come within our own lifetime, we ourselves will eventually die. After death, those who are truly saved will be in Heaven.[1] Those who reject Jesus Christ and continues committing sin will end up in Hell.[2] These places are for an ETERNITY.[4] Choose wisely.[3]
  1. John 14:1-4, Luke 12:31-34, Matthew 6:19-21, 13:1-53, Revelation 21:1-22:5
  2. Luke 13:22-30, Mark 9:42-48, Matthew 5:29-30, 13:36-43, 25:41-46, Rev. 20:1-3, 20:7-15
  3. John 14:6, Joshua 24:14-15, Luke 13:1-5, Matthew 6:24,
  4. Ecclesiastes 3:9-11, Heb. 9:27-28, Matthew 25:44-46, Rom. 6:20-23, 2 Thessalonians 1:3-12
The Greatest Commandment
Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, all of your mind, all of your soul, all of your strength, and love others as yourself.[1] This sums up the teachings of the Holy Bible.[2]
  1. Deuteronomy 6:1-25, Luke 10:25-37, Mark 12:28-34, Matthew 22:34-40,
  2. Deuteronomy 5:1-22, Exodus 20:1-17, Romans 13:8-10
The Definition of Sin
Anything that causes oneself[1] and others[2] harm. It does not and cannot get any simpler than that.
  1. 1 Corinthians 6:12-20, 15:29-34, Daniel 1:8-16, Galatians 6:7-10, Proverbs 16:18-19, Matthew 27:1-5, Romans 6:19-23, 1 Timothy 6:9-10
  2. Genesis 4:1-14, 34:1-31, James 3:1-18, Mark 7:14-23, Matthew 5:21-30, Proverbs 1:8-19, Romans 13:8-10, 1 Samuel 17:57-18:16
Sermon on the Mount
This sermon by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself[1] is an excellent way to start one's walk with God after receiving the Son of God as one's own Lord and Saviour.
  1. Luke 6:17-49 & Matthew 5:1-7:29

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

All that is needed is a relationship with the Holy Trinity, and this can be attained when we are but babes through Baptism and Communion. Christian Salvation is not Gnostic.

It is important to have knowledge of proper doctrines etc. for our maturity and health as adult Christians, and that heresies and false teaching will not be a snare to us. But for Baptism of adults all that is needed is to "Renounce Satan and all His works" and to recite the Orthodox Creed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,877.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But for Baptism of adults all that is needed is to "Renounce Satan and all His works" and to recite the Orthodox Creed.
I very doubt most of Christians in history did this formality... its all very ritualistic.

• Agree
Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I very doubt most of Christians in history did this formality... its all very ritualistic.

lol your wrong. Read the Didache, the Apostolic Fathers, Church Fathers etc. Eusebius and early Church History accounts etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That one is adressed in scripture as Jesus said (highlighting just the Sadducees teaching)

Mat 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them,
Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

The leaven being their doctrine

Mat 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread,
but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

These are which say there is no resurrection

Mat 22:23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him

Additionally the Sadducees beliefs are expressed here in contrast to the Pharisees

Acts 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit:
but the Pharisees confess both.

So to beware of the leaven of the Sadducees would be to beware of their particular doctrine which is noted as something to pay attention to which will leaven the whole lump as the same is shown here

1Cr 15:12... how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

Just as Jesus said to beware of it, Paul addresses that same leavening that is now creeping in among them

Just as these two also Hymenaeus and Philetus in 1 Ti 2:18 similarly

1 Ti 2:13 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that you excluded Bible.

lol that is what they do when they loose the argument they change the topic...

There is nothing in the Bible, against what I'm talking about. And there is a lot for it as far as things like the theological reasons for Baptism of infants, the development of liturgy and sacrament in general, the meaning of baptism etc.

• Winner
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
lol that is what they do when they loose the argument they change the topic...

There is nothing in the Bible, against what I'm talking about. And there is a lot for it as far as things like the theological reasons for Baptism of infants, the development of liturgy and sacrament in general, the meaning of baptism etc.

Why doesn't your "signature" ... "“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.” ... match your text?

• Informative
Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0