✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
People, i am deep in sin.

I have not sought confession for several weeks because i have abused it.

Now, have any of you cleaned out your life so that you only read spiritual books, you only seek spiritual media and you only click on spiritual websites / forums?

Would this be a good thing? To throw out all things that dont point to God? To only concentrate on Godly things?

I visit many different websites / forums, play killing pc games, read rubbish and view rubbish.

My life is FULL of sin. Anyone here thrown 'modernity' out the window? Anyone only have time for God alone?

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Now, have any of you cleaned out your life so that you only read spiritual books, you only seek spiritual media and you only click on spiritual websites / forums?

Would this be a good thing? To throw out all things that dont point to God? To only concentrate on Godly things?

I visit many different websites / forums, play killing pc games, read rubbish and view rubbish.

My life is FULL of sin. Anyone here thrown 'modernity' out the window? Anyone only have time for God alone?
I'm not Catholic, but at one point in my life, I did get rid of all my secular music and was sort of ascetic. I don't listen to secular music now, but that is due to preference more than anything else.

I think in these things you have to ask yourself if the entertainment is unwholesome and does not line up with Phillipians 4:8 about thinking only about things that are true, honest, just, pure, good, of good report, have any virtue or any praise.

For example, if it is something benign but not necessarily Christian- but it conforms to this list, then it is not detrimental to your spirit. I used to like playing Roller Coaster Tycoon on the computer. It was pure and good. Not Christian, but not unlovely.

The problem I have is with moderation. C.S. Lewis wrote in The Screwtape Letters that if the demon could get his victim to think that playing croquet and drinking cocoa were sins because they are not Christian in nature, it would be good for Satan- a feeling of asceticism in the person benefits Satan, not God.

Lewis wrote that the main thing was moderation, playing croquet for an hour in the evening is perfectly fine- as is having a cup of cocoa before bed. God likes when we are happy and enjoy sweet things.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not Catholic either...

I used to caught up with the idea in making things idols -- such as books and music. I wouldn't say that was a mistake. However, enjoying things that aren't harmful isn't sinful. My advice is to avoid websites or readings that are obviously detrimental. Try not to stress out over other things in general.

Lately, my practice has been to listen to Augustine's City of God, and briefly pray on the commute to work. Then on the way home, I listen to secular music (recently live Jimi Hendrix) and/or listen to talk radio (usually Dana Loesch).

At home, I try to read Christian and secular books and magazines. I subscribe to First Things. It's real helpful. One book that I've started is The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times. It also might be helpful.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP

I would go to Confession if I thought I was deep in sin . That's why Jesus gave the sacrament to his Church .

Basically my baptismal promises commit me to renouncing what is not of God and to embracing what is of God .

On a day to day basis there is a need to discern the will of God for myself using what God gives to help me to do this , namely my conscience , the guidance of the Holy Spirit in Scripture , Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church .

The help of a spiritual adviser or confessor is often most beneficial .

Advice on forums in such personal matters is of very limited value , but I would say take heart , be of good courage , step out in faith and don't worry because , if your desire is to do the will of God , God is with you to labour with you as you struggle ,

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people are called to lives of prayer as contemplative priests, brothers, and sisters.

Most of us are called to interact with others in the world--and for most of us, experiencing "the world" in moderation will help us do that.

I learn great spiritual lessons every do from the secular world, because I am able to give to and receive love from God's people. Yesterday I was blessed to bring dinner to the family of a dying friend, and yes, I received more than I gave. Seeing her husband's love in the face of imminent loss, seeing how, after fighting for so long, she had come to accept and even look forward to being with God, was sad but uplifting at the same time.

Cooking an extra casserole was, to me, time better spent than doing spiritual reading or listening to hymns--although I do do those things, too. But bringing dinner to someone who has one foot in heaven and one on earth and is unafraid...priceless.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

You need to pray for sincerity. Sounds like you might be abusing God's mercy, which we all do to some extent. It is possible that you need to suffer more, in order to find that sincerity. I hope you don't. Why not wholeheartedly seek fidelity to the Lord! Most of our problems are due to half-heartedness I fear.

Upvote 0