hialeah
✟8,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Basically this is a question asking if me and my husband are equally yoked. Because there is no doubt God did something big in bringing us together. He is a pastor and I have been a christian almost all my life. The reason I ask is because a lot of times we don't agree on things the bible says. Like for example tattoos, and somethings about marriage. However he and I and everyone that knows us can notice we love each other, love God and that it was God's hand for us to be married and be together. But just wanted us to agree on everything biblically and we don't agree. Sometimes I just guess I think wow I'm so thankful God brought us together but I wonder why do we disagree on important topics on the bible like we do. Are we still equally yoked?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically this is a question asking if me and my husband are equally yoked. Because there is no doubt God did something big in bringing us together. He is a pastor and I have been a christian almost all my life. The reason I ask is because a lot of times we don't agree on things the bible says. Like for example tattoos, and somethings about marriage. However he and I and everyone that knows us can notice we love each other, love God and that it was God's hand for us to be married and be together. But just wanted us to agree on everything biblically and we don't agree. Sometimes I just guess I think wow I'm so thankful God brought us together but I wonder why do we disagree on important topics on the bible like we do. Are we still equally yoked?
The idea is not to be unequally yoked (partners) with unbelievers. How many times did the Apostles disagree with each other?

“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,” (2 Corinthians 6:14–17)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2018
hialeah
✟8,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Dave, that was my question and you knew exactly what I meant. So, thank you for answering it and that just clears it all up. As far as Lady Bug's post basically we agree on the basics but when it comes to more grey areas that a lot of Christians have different understanding of certain scriptures and basically I would say more when it comes to laws and old testament bible. There's just 2 areas. Those are on tattoos and when exactly two people become married. And I made other threads about these two areas because I wanted to know more since we disagree I could see if more people agreed with me or him to kind of have mediation. More people do seem to agree with my views. However, he stands very firm on those things and he won't budge. It came down to I just said let's pray about it and let's let God put peace in us about it to whoever is right and whoever is wrong that God can reveal it to us so that we can have an agreement about all matters that way we can move forward. That's how this question happened. Because then if we are disagreeing we won't move forward together supporting one another on these topics and we will always be going in different directions. But the main thing is covered so hopefully at some point this will be something that we can finally agree on.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am going to go out on a limb a little bit, but in the OP you said your husband is a pastor.

If that is true, I think that this changes the dynamic a little bit and I would be careful what you say at church and to always support him or else it could be seen as a contridiction to his ability to lead. I underlined two verses that have to do with his wife and children. but a pastor has extra responsibilities.

"Gentle" (1 Tim. 3:3)
"Upright" (Titus 1:8)

"Not quick tempered" (Titus 1:7)
"Not quarrelsome" (1 Tim. 3:3)
“hospitable” (1 Timothy 3:2, Titus 1:8)

“a lover of good” (Titus 1:8)

"Not arrogant" (Titus 1:7)
"Above reproach" (1 Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:6)

"Being examples to the flock" (1 Peter 5:3)

"Not greedy for gain" (Titus 1:7)

"Hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught” (Titus 1:9)

"Holy" (Titus 1:8)

"Not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil" (1 Tim. 3:6)

"He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive" (1 Tim. 3:4)

"His children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination" (Titus 1:6)

"He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it" (Titus 1:9)

"able to teach" (1 Tim. 3:3)

"But we will devote ourselves to prayer and ministry of the word" (Acts 6:4)

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God” (Acts 20:28).

“The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task” (1 Tim. 3:1).

“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly” (1 Peter 5:2).

So much of this I copied and pasted, but you get my drift.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2018
hialeah
✟8,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am going to go out on a limb a little bit, but in the OP you said your husband is a pastor.

If that is true, I think that this changes the dynamic a little bit and I would be careful what you say at church and to always support him or else it could be seen as a contridiction to his ability to lead. I underlined two verses that have to do with his wife and children. but a pastor has extra responsibilities.

"Gentle" (1 Tim. 3:3)
"Upright" (Titus 1:8)

"Not quick tempered" (Titus 1:7)
"Not quarrelsome" (1 Tim. 3:3)
“hospitable” (1 Timothy 3:2, Titus 1:8)

“a lover of good” (Titus 1:8)

"Not arrogant" (Titus 1:7)
"Above reproach" (1 Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:6)

"Being examples to the flock" (1 Peter 5:3)

"Not greedy for gain" (Titus 1:7)

"Hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught” (Titus 1:9)

"Holy" (Titus 1:8)

"Not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil" (1 Tim. 3:6)

"He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive" (1 Tim. 3:4)

"His children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination" (Titus 1:6)

"He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it" (Titus 1:9)

"able to teach" (1 Tim. 3:3)

"But we will devote ourselves to prayer and ministry of the word" (Acts 6:4)

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God” (Acts 20:28).

“The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task” (1 Tim. 3:1).

“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly” (1 Peter 5:2).

So much of this I copied and pasted, but you get my drift.

Yes, it does and that's the thing is that it can seem like I don't want to submit. Which it is not what I"m trying to do by any means. The issue is that through my beliefs that is what I have always known. So for him being a Pastor I know he has more knowledge. The problem is if I do belief everything he does because he is a pastor and he says so even when that is not what I have always believed in. And you know I have thought about it. I have tried to be accepting of what he beliefs on the things we disagree on and I want to be convinced of it because I believe it to be true in my heart that this is what the bible says about it not because I'm only going by what he tells me. Yes, it is important that he tells me his beliefs but I want to agree with him because God put it in my heart and I accept it as truth in my heart. I don't want to just agree for agreements sake. The reason where are disagreeing is that. I want to be the first one to say I'm wrong and he is right but we are not at that point where we agree. I have been praying for it.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2018
hialeah
✟8,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Even if it means I have to change what I believe in, but if I do I want to be convinced about it internally and in my heart. I don't want to be a hypocrite and have beliefs just because my husband says so. I want to be sure of what my husband is saying so I can back him up with my own conviction. It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong between the two of us. To me its not a submission issue it is a there is only one truth issue and one of us needs to yield to what God says. The moment the holy spirit speaks to him or me about the matter, maybe our prayer will be answered sooner than later and this will have a resolution. Because this disagreement is affecting other areas that it doesn't need to be such as the ones you mentioned ToBeLoved. I'm in all disposition to obey when what is being obeyed is correct. I have tattoos and my stand is that they are a neutral thing like money that can be used for good or bad. My husband believes that it is flat out a sin regardless. I am the first one to say if it is a sin I will get my tattoos removed because even though I will have been forgiven I already said God if it is a sin please forgive me and refuse to get more just in case. But, when I got my tattoos I was already a christian and in fact they are christian tattoos and I did them because to I don't believe it is a sin when whatever you do it glorifies God. So that's an example of a disagreement we have. And the other one is when one is married. He beliefs two people are married by sex. I believe that two people are married when they make an agreement to enter into marriage, it is blessed by God, officiated and sex is a bond meant for marriage but that sex alone does not marry two people. So those are the only things we don't agree on. So, I would rather us come to an agreement completely unbiased, enlightened by the holy spirit and revealed by God regardless of titles or position that this revelation be an inspired truth that we both can say in our hearts as one.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Even if it means I have to change what I believe in, but if I do I want to be convinced about it internally and in my heart. I don't want to be a hypocrite and have beliefs just because my husband says so. I want to be sure of what my husband is saying so I can back him up with my own conviction. It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong between the two of us. To me its not a submission issue it is a there is only one truth issue and one of us needs to yield to what God says. The moment the holy spirit speaks to him or me about the matter, maybe our prayer will be answered sooner than later and this will have a resolution. Because this disagreement is affecting other areas that it doesn't need to be such as the ones you mentioned ToBeLoved. I'm in all disposition to obey when what is being obeyed is correct. I have tattoos and my stand is that they are a neutral thing like money that can be used for good or bad. My husband believes that it is flat out a sin regardless. I am the first one to say if it is a sin I will get my tattoos removed because even though I will have been forgiven I already said God if it is a sin please forgive me and refuse to get more just in case. But, when I got my tattoos I was already a christian and in fact they are christian tattoos and I did them because to I don't believe it is a sin when whatever you do it glorifies God. So that's an example of a disagreement we have. And the other one is when one is married. He beliefs two people are married by sex. I believe that two people are married when they make an agreement to enter into marriage, it is blessed by God, officiated and sex is a bond meant for marriage but that sex alone does not marry two people. So those are the only things we don't agree on. So, I would rather us come to an agreement completely unbiased, enlightened by the holy spirit and revealed by God regardless of titles or position that this revelation be an inspired truth that we both can say in our hearts as one.
I will give you my two cents worth just in case it might help.

If you aren’t planning on getting any more tattoos, I would just repent to God, and ask God’s forgiveness if He feels you have defiled your body at all by tattooing, which is a temple of the Holy Spirit.

Now I’m not saying you are wrong, per se but this IMHO is the easier one. Once you have repented, God will forgive you if your getting a tattoo was a sin.

The other one about a marriage not being a marriage by ceremony and vows before God is a little different. I believe besides our faith and coming to salvation, marriage is the most sacred vow we can make with God.

Does he believe Sola Scriptura?

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Smile, Jesus Loves You the same, even with your tattoos. I am a man that walks and preaches in The Spirit and not once has He mentioned my tattoo. It is true that sex creates a bond between two people, but that bond was meant for the Holy institution of marraige so that two will become one flesh. Continue to pray for your husband, so that perhaps in due season these things will be revealed to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The bible says "what God has joined let no man separate". Some times in my marriage my wife and I disagree on topics, including religion. But we are married, and God wants us to stay that way. Although it may not be your goal, the end game of the question are we equally yoked, can be let's separate. But that is not God's will.

Regardless of whether you have an equal or unequal yoke, the focus should be on building on strengthening your marriage.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In a true christian marriage the first One the couple should be loyal to and love the most is the Lord God Almighty. Secondly, they should love each other. If both of you are in alignment in those 2 areas then I don't see why you worry too much about some minor differences of opinions.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What are you all disagreeing on?

Upvote 0