KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If the cake is really decorated in such a "neutral" way, then the customer ordering it can be just as neutral about their sexual preferences.
Yep, which is why the baker has a long history of refusing to make wedding cakes for women who mention in any way their spouse is male. After all, failing to be "neutral about their sexual preferences" is a reason the baker consistently kicked straight customers out of his shop, right?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Does he spell out what those religious beliefs are or what they prohibit or am I left to just guess?
He's obviously talking about refusing service to anyone who is divorced or overweight. Or who doesn't have the self control to be celibate. Or anyone wanting to marry a Jewish person. Or doesn't have a good relationship with their parents. You know, things which are actually in the Bible, as opposed to not baking cakes for minorities, which I haven't been able to find.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Yep, which is why the baker has a long history of refusing to make wedding cakes for women who mention in any way their spouse is male. After all, failing to be "neutral about their sexual preferences" is a reason the baker consistently kicked straight customers out of his shop, right?

KC, why do you keep inferring that the baker kicked the homosexual couple out of his shop? He didn't. He refused to make a wedding cake for them. The couple was welcome to hang around and buy other baked goods if they wanted. I generally like your comments, but this is kind of grating.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
KC, why do you keep inferring that the baker kicked the homosexual couple out of his shop? He didn't. He refused to make a wedding cake for them. The couple was welcome to hang around and buy other baked goods if they wanted. I generally like your comments, but this is kind of grating.
During segregation most restaurants would allow black people to order take out....so long as they came to the back door to pick it up so obviously these restaurants were not discriminating against black people in any way...right?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
During segregation most restaurants would allow black people to order take out....so long as they came to the back door to pick it up so obviously these restaurants were not discriminating against black people in any way...right?

>_<

This has nothing to do with my question to KC. Yes, they were discriminating, and so was the baker.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Why would that come up? Just order a cake, pay for it, and be done. Quit complicating things with unrelated banter and trying to find ways to get your order refused.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just like black people should not go to restaurants they know won't serve them.

Show me one that does that or your comment is irrelevant and is nothing more than goading.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
KC, why do you keep inferring that the baker kicked the homosexual couple out of his shop?
Because that's the testimony I've read. He told them he wouldn't make them a cake because they were gay and the couple left without ordering.

I mean, I guess they could have hung around for a while continuing to not be allowed to order a cake, but the implication of "I'm not going to sell you the cake you want" and ending the conversation is pretty clear.

The couple was welcome to hang around and buy other baked goods if they wanted.

That might be the claim, but in the past he also refused to sell cupcakes to a lesbian couple. There have been a lot of after-the-fact claims about what he might have done, but those seem more like excuses rather than a legitimate expectation of the guys behavior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why would that come up?
Why would the names of a customer come up? Really? This is the argument we're supposed to take seriously? Someone's going to go through the entire process of ordering a custom wedding cake and never once slip up and accidentally mention any details of their spouse.

Come on, a let's try to be serious here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Show me one that does that or your comment is irrelevant and is nothing more than goading.
You might want to review the definition of goading - and I doubt you'll find "pointing out a relevant recent historical parallel" in any dictionary out there.

But in any case, you'll note that restaurants don't use this excuse any more because it would identify them as illegally discriminating against minority groups.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe his religion prohibits race mixing. He could be a part of a religion that forbids mixed religion weddings. What if his religion is opposed to any marriage that occurs outside of his own religion. Perhaps he is a Shaker and is opposed to all marriage. All are possible based on that vague statement. Is there a reason he can’t just be completely honest and state what he would object to?

Again, the statement is enough said. If you feel it isn't honest? I wouldn't do business with him. I mean I don't do business with people I don't think are honest. If you are just looking for clarification on your specific circumstance? A phone call is all you need. You don't like the answer? You move on.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Again, the statement is enough said. If you feel it isn't honest? I wouldn't do business with him. I mean I don't do business with people I don't think are honest. If you are just looking for clarification on your specific circumstance? A phone call is all you need. You don't like the answer? You move on.

He could just straight up say he refuses to bake cakes for same-sex weddings. Why is that so hard for him be up front with everyone and just say it?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The argument is that making a wedding act is a creative effort, that is based on an understanding of the couple. It’s not the same as selling them a stock item. A court would have to review whether that argument makes sense. I don’t think it does, but I could imagine a court accepting it. I don’t think arguments among us are likely to very useful.
Correct. One cannot compel an artist to do what he doesn't want to do. That's speech. He won't make anti-gay cakes either. Or KKK cakes. But he will sell anyone a generic cake.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why should minorities have to call ahead to business to see is they will be treated like human beings?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Correct. One cannot compel an artist to do what he doesn't want to do.
That's nice, but what does it have to do with this case, where a guy volunteered to become a baker and now wants to be able to ignore anti-discrimination laws because he has an opinion?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He could just straight up say he refuses to bake cakes for same-sex weddings. Why is that so hard for him be up front with everyone and just say it?

I think it is pretty clear he has already said that. Matter of fact that is what the lawsuit was partially about. He straight up told them he doesn't do those types of cakes.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why would the names of a customer come up? Really? This is the argument we're supposed to take seriously? Someone's going to go through the entire process of ordering a custom wedding cake and never once slip up and accidentally mention any details of their spouse.

Come on, a let's try to be serious here.

Pick out a cake, pay the money, leave the store. Not very difficult.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You might want to review the definition of goading - and I doubt you'll find "pointing out a relevant recent historical parallel" in any dictionary out there.

But in any case, you'll note that restaurants don't use this excuse any more because it would identify them as illegally discriminating against minority groups.

Then you admit that your mentioning of black people here is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It might be due to the fact that there are so many different types of decorations that could be thought of to put on a cake that it would be impossible to put out a statement that includes all of them. If he said he doesn't bake them for SSM events, then he'd had to point out every vulgar image that he also wouldn't put on a cake for other themes, such as nazi symbols, or penises, or anti-Christian sayings, etc. By simply saying that he doesn't use decorations or writings that conflict with his beliefs is about as specific as he could get.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0