New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yes, it's definitely time for this to happen. I've heard bits of this happening already in the liturgy, informally, as I travel to churches in other dioceses -- "It is right to give God thanks and praise" instead of "It is right to give him thanks and praise", etc.

Here's the wording of the resolution: "Resolved, the House of ____________ concurring, that the 79th General Convention direct the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music, if revision of the Book of Common Prayer is authorized, to utilize expansive language for God from the rich sources of feminine, masculine, and non-binary imagery for God found in Scripture and tradition and, when possible, to avoid the use of gendered pronouns for God." So it's not any immediate uprooting of our favorite liturgical language, and it sounds like some masculine metaphors will remain (as is appropriate), just balanced with less masculine-specific metaphors. I'm assuming that this process will call on those with a good ear for both poetry and theology to produce good liturgical language. (I'm not in favor of clumsy liturgy!)

Washington's diocesan convention is posting its materials, including resolutions, here: Convention :: Episcopal Diocese of Washington

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not an Anglican, so I hope I'm not out of line in asking for clarification, but the headline seems somewhat different from what's in the article.
Lifesitenews.com has written an article that's slanted towards its own opinions on gender issues. I recommend reading the resolution itself, for the information, and then taking lifesitenews' commentary with a grain of salt.

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yeah the headline is flat out inaccurate. All they did was submit a resolution to General Convention. It might end there without being approved. And for all we know GC might decide that the time isn't right to revise the Prayer Book. The report of the SCLM hasn't be released yet. It's a complete nonstory at the moment. I'm not going to speculate at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No problem with expanding our language for God (in ways that are appropriate and which draw on Scripture and Tradition etc). Pronouns... I try to avoid masculine pronouns but sometimes, anything other than pronouns is clumsy and there are as many problems with "she" or "it" as "he." A healthy balance is good, is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For me, God came down as a man, and so male pronouns for Jesus make sense.

God of course has no body, and therefore no gender, and the masculine language for God comes from a male dominated society. However, I feel that this is an unnecessary change. If God has no gender, we shouldn't be making gender an issue. This, to me, stinks of outside political influence.

Is it a big deal? Not really as it doesn't change the reality. But at the same time, it's not a big deal, so why make any changes at all?

Sometimes I really think we focus on the wrong and completely irrelevant things. Sometimes I think he looks down at us and thinks "why on earth do they bother themselves with such trivial matters?".

Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So now we think we know better than Jesus? I continue to think it is the height of arrogance to think we can re-write Jesus words.

Mark 14:36
36And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Matthew 6:9-13
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Have you ever considered the radical notion that we are all the bride of Christ -implying femininity- in the resurrection? My canon and mentor has identified the birthing process as the chief narrative of the NT. Whether you agree or not, there are some sticky passages to deal with - particularly in the Greek.

Upvote 0