Episcopal and Anglican, are protestant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it depends on how you define protestant.

Some say it is anything other than catholic (or catholic and orthodox)
Others say it has to link directly back to the reformers.

Those denoms that stem from the Church of England would be protestant under the first definition but not under the 2nd.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think protestant is the best term for Anglicans. They're really more Evangelical Catholic. Their theological system is fairly broad which allows for High Anglicanism and Low Anglicanism. High Anglicans are sometimes thought of as "via media" - something in between the Roman Catholic and the Reformed. Low Anglicans are closer to the Reformed, and can even be quite charismatic.

As an example, the Anglican system holds to an orthodox understanding of apostolic succession, which is unlike other protestant bodies. But it rejects the office of the Pope, and also the intercession of Mary, angels and saints, which is unlike the Roman and Eastern Orthodox systems. There are many more differences, but broadly speaking, I would consider the Anglican Church as an orthodox but Evangelical body.

If there was such a thing as a middle ground of Christendom, I think the Anglican Church would be it!

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We speak of "via media," or the middle way between Catholicism and Protestantism. In many places such as my parish, the church looks quite Catholic save for submitting to leadership by the papacy. In other places you will find Anglicans appearing much more Protestant in practice. Catholic visitors to my church often remark, "You guys are more Catholic than we are." Of course, they're talking about worship form and practice, not theological roots or allegiance to the Pope. Admittedly, it's confusing.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would say that we are a church profoundly shaped by the Protestant reformation, but not necessarily adequately defined by it.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think protestant is the best term for Anglicans. They're really more Evangelical Catholic. Their theological system is fairly broad which allows for High Anglicanism and Low Anglicanism. High Anglicans are sometimes thought of as "via media" - something in between the Roman Catholic and the Reformed. Low Anglicans are closer to the Reformed, and can even be quite charismatic.

As an example, the Anglican system holds to an orthodox understanding of apostolic succession, which is unlike other protestant bodies. But it rejects the office of the Pope, and also the intercession of Mary, angels and saints, which is unlike the Roman and Eastern Orthodox systems. There are many more differences, but broadly speaking, I would consider the Anglican Church as an orthodox but Evangelical body.

If there was such a thing as a middle ground of Christendom, I think the Anglican Church would be it!
Would this mean that Methodism would be more Evangelical Catholic as well, since Wesley was Anglican? The Methodist liturgical service I attend is very similar to the Roman Catholic. I 've never been to Anglican high (or low) church but assume it must be similar too.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think of them as protestant. I think of any church with broken apostolic succession as protestant. My church is often called Armenian Orthodox by most people but actually our church's name is the Armenian Apostolic Church. We use apostolic succession as the defining factor whether or not a church is protestant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Would this mean that Methodism would be more Evangelical Catholic as well, since Wesley was Anglican? The Methodist liturgical service I attend is very similar to the Roman Catholic. I 've never been to Anglican high (or low) church but assume it must be similar too.

Yeah, that's where things go tricky. If we look at the root and cause of the Methodist body, it was a reaction towards High Anglicanism with some Reformed influence, so at least in my mind, Methodism is more in-line with Low Anglicanism, so more Reformed. I've heard it said that if it wasn't for politics, Methodism could have very well remained Anglican. Maybe a via media between Anglican and Reformed?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Middle of what? between Roman Catholics and Protestants?

Yeah, if you imagine Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholics on one end, and the Reformed and their daughter bodies (Baptist, Charismatic, Pentecostal, non-denominational etc) on the other, Anglicans would sit somewhere in the middle. However, some Anglican bodies are closer to the Roman Church, others to the Reformed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anglicans/Episcopalians are normally classified as Protestants, but their churches did retain the essential characteristics of Catholic theology. This naturally causes Anglicans to say that they are both Protestant and Catholic when attempting to explain the church to non-members who inquire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought they broke from the Roman Catholic church?

"They" rejected the authority of the Pope. Strictly speaking, the Roman Catholic Church broke from the Church of England when the Pope concluded that he could not bring England back under his governance through political intrigue, rebellion, or similar methods.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But kept the bishops.
I understand what you're saying now, thanks. I see it as that their succession is broken off when they broke off communion with the Church that gave them the succession but I never thought of it the way you're presenting it.

On a personal level I actually believe that succession doesn't have to be through the literal, "physical" Church but that is not what my Church teaches - my Church goes back to Sts. Jude (Thaddeus) and Bartholomew.. I believe that through God's Word and St. Paul all these protestant Churches can have a succession without having to trace back physically to an Apostle.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"They" rejected the authority of the Pope. Strictly speaking, the Roman Catholic Church broke from the Church of England when the Pope concluded that he could not bring England back under his governance through political intrigue, rebellion, or similar methods.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. The Anglican Church was from the Roman Catholic Church and when the RCC was broken off from them the Anglicans technically became protestant.

It seems Anglicans don't want to be thought of as protestant - I don't know why, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just historical fact. It doesn't invalidate them as a Church.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. The Anglican Church was from the Roman Catholic Church and when the RCC was broken off from them the Anglicans technically became protestant.
I know. It is not uncommon for people who belong to one or another of the "Catholic" denominations to hold to the storyline they have been brought up with, come what may. We are still happy to give them the facts when they ask. As for asking them to appreciate the critical details in a complicated history, however...they almost never want to bother with that.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They adopted unique Protestant theology, at least in part, and thus couldn't be considered "Catholic". As such, I would place them under the broad category of "Protestant", although they are a very unique type of Protestant, having retained the most amount of "Catholic" theology and practice, at leas as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.