• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Ephrem the Syrian on Sorrows meme

Discussion in 'Traditional Theology' started by Pavel Mosko, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM.

1. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+793
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I ran across this meme when looking at my Facebook notifications and it got me to thinking. I know of a number of Christian friends who would hate it especially coming from Charismatic Protestant backgrounds etc. so what do you think about it?

Ephrem on sorrows.jpg

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,701
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I can appreciate it.

Bad things happen. They are obviously allowed by God, or else they wouldn't happen. The good news is that they can benefit us and help us turn to God.

The quote leaves some of that unstated, I guess. It makes it sound more like a "test" to some ears, as if God Himself needs information. That isn't the correct way to understand it though. Rather we need to know that He does (and allows) all things for our ultimate good (and the most ultimate good is always salvation).

It is opposed to the idea some have (and that has a thread in history back to ancient times as far as Job and before) that God rewards the righteous and punishes the wicked on earth, so we could judge a soul based on how well they appear to prosper. But that is and always has been an error.

3. Tigger45

Tigger45 Just another tax collector. Supporter

+7,679
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    That was basically the homily at the service this morning.

4. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member Supporter

+200
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Why would Charismatics hate this?

5. Pavel Mosko

+793
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Lots of Charismatic Protestants are into the notion of "the authority of the Believer" described below in the link. And the quote sort of goes against that. These people tend to believe we can always take spiritual authority over the devil and all his actions often citing saint Paul's epistles etc. (besides the gospels) even though saint Paul himself by his own admission went through a great deal of buffeting and trials etc. They basically have an overly simplistic view of theodicy and the life of Faith. They cannot comprehend that God sometimes uses suffering redemptively etc.

Our Authority in Christ

6. Andrewn

+200
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    I read the article. I think that Traditional Christians, being mostly Amillennialists, and believe that satan is already bound would agree with what is said the article. I don't see contradiction with St Ephraim's quote. If satan has no authority over believers, then it must be that "God permits each of us to be afflicted."

7. Pavel Mosko

+793
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    The best I can describe things is with the following article written by a Protestant theologian. The article has personally helped me and I tend to cite it to console other people who go through difficult circumstances.

Anyway the article describes the mind set of the author at the beginning of the article who is very much like some of these charismatic friends I've known. And what happens to him after he experiences a setback in getting his doctorate in theology where he has to rethink his personal theology on success, theodicy etc.

Failure | Reasonable Faith

8. Andrewn

+200
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Good article. At the beginning of the article, the author describes his poor theology. I wouldn't generalize this as Charismatic Protestant theology. This poor theology is limited to WOF movement and to people who watch TV preachers :). By the end of article, with a little bit of thoughtfulness and reflection, his theology became normal. It's like what happened with Job's friends: an ancient story.

9. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+812
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have a Charismatic background and go to the Charismatic Episcopal Church and agree with the meme. I think WOF would hate it though :)