Ephesians 3:18-19: How does one comprehend and know that which surpasses knowledge?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you read Ephesians 3:18-19?

"I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God" (NRSV).

How do we account for that which Paul prays? He seems to be saying (praying) we can comprehend and know the love of Christ. And yet, that same "love of Christ" which we know also surpasses knowledge. Is he equivocating on the concept of knowledge? Or, can the same Lord be known and not known? Just curious. I have no hard and fast answers, so...

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do know that God can effect you in ways that go beyond our understanding and forget trying to communicate that effect to another person.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How do you read Ephesians 3:18-19?

"I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God" (NRSV).

How do we account for that which Paul prays? He seems to be saying (praying) we can comprehend and know the love of Christ. And yet, that same "love of Christ" which we know also surpasses knowledge. Is he equivocating on the concept of knowledge? Or, can the same Lord be known and not known? Just curious. I have no hard and fast answers, so...
All one needs is to become a saint, not in the RCC sense, but in the biblical sense. Be a follower of Jesus and you will come to know Him: Ephesians 3:18-19 [that you] may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some things can not be expressed in words, but must be experienced.
I think this is good.

You can know all the books have to say about an elephant, but if you can actually live with a family of elephants . . . you know them in a way that books and knowledge can not tell you.

Or . . . you don't know what an orange tastes like, no matter how many books you read about oranges. You know the taste by experience.

So . . . as we grow in Jesus, we share with Him in His love, and discover how this love is and how we become and love in His love. Words can not tell this. We might describe Christ's love, but no one can realize what the descriptive words mean unless they actually experience His love.

For example, we have how love is kind, in 1 Corinthians 13:4. But humans can be kind in their human way; so if they read this, they might not realize how Christ's kindness is different and better than their human kindness. The quality is different, and the strength to stay kind . . . but these are words, right? :)

Upvote 0