Ephesians 3:14-19

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I just love this scripture, of course the entire chapter 3 in Ephesians is great to read. But this part in particular realy leaves me feeling completely blessed.

Ephesians 3:14-19
For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Amen to that! If people who pray for me, only prayed that prayer and no other I would be so very blessed!

And Amen to Philips. IMO, the prayer is beautifully done! It may be hard to believe but when I first discovered Phillips many many years ago, I did not like it much. But after growing in Jesus a while, I have learned to love and appreciate his work so much! I am not ashamed to say, I simply love it!

Upvote 0

nomad

Mar 7, 2003
Minneapolis
Visit site
✟570.00
Ephesians 3:14-19  When I think of the wisdom and scope of God’s plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,£ 15the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16  I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. 17  And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. 18And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. 19  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

This is another translation from the QuickVerse Life Application Bible.  This is for people like me that can't grasp the KJV so well.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Yesterday at 11:45 PM nomad said this in Post #5

Ephesians 3:14-19  When I think of the wisdom and scope of God’s plan, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,£ 15the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16  I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. 17  And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. 18And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. 19  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

This is another translation from the QuickVerse Life Application Bible.  This is for people like me that can't grasp the KJV so well.

This just goes to further prove that this is a Beautiful Prayer no matter how it is presented. The Beauty is in the Prayer itself! Praise Jesus!

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gerry/Graft anyone

I have a question.

Because I am studying Colossions:

It mentioned the following:

Col 1:19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,

Col 1:19: For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Col 1:19: 19For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

In Colossians, Paul is talking about the Supremecy of Jesus Christ and how all attributes of God are attributed to Him. Paul mentions the Father was pleased to have alll HIS fulness dwell in HIM (Jesus).

The Father and Jesus are one. :)

ok

but now in Ephesians,
And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Paul is praying that Christians might be "Filled" with all the fulness of God.

Certainly he doesn't mean we are God. so i guess i'm asking anyone to help me struggle with teh difference in these terms. I may have to do a word study! :)

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Hmmm! Gee, I am not sure what it is that is confusing you here. Hmmm.

In colossians, verses 15-20, Paul is talking about the relaionship of Christ to Father, to creation, to the Church, and to the Cross.

In Ephesians, verses 14-21, Paul is praying that the Ephesians might be filled with might and strength, and that they might know the love of Christ.
Remember this is speaking of Love. Now, you have rightly said that Christ and the Father are ONE. Do not forget also that the Holy Spirit is nothing more or less than Christ absent the Body, so in this prayer he is also praying that they be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Now the Greek word is Pleroma, which simply means the "completeness". This means that Jesus is 100% God and nothing less. So we can be filled with the completeness of God (the Holy Spirt) without having the knowledge of God or becoming God. Just as we can be filled with the completeness of a McDonalds hamburger without becoming that hamburger. We are simply filled with all that makes that hamburger what it is.

Now you take it from here and see what you come up with!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see the difference right away, Context! :)

sorry, sometimes I confuse myself with terms, it comes from being in the legal field.

Nomad's version says: "Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

Whereas in Colossians: For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,

Jesus is the source of the fullness

Sorry, i confused myself there for a minute :)

Upvote 0