Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It is my understanding there is no intermediate state after death according to EO theology. All experience a foretaste of heaven or hell until the second coming of Christ.

Prayers for the dead are helpful, but only God knows how they are used.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is my understanding there is no intermediate state after death according to EO theology. All experience a foretaste of heaven or hell until the second coming of Christ.

Prayers for the dead are helpful, but only God knows how they are used.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

correct, aside that there is a “time period” between death and the foretaste where the soul visits paradise and hades, and goes to areas familiar with it in life.

and the prayers of the Church can liberate those in hades.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
correct, aside that there is a “time period” between death and the foretaste where the soul visits paradise and hades, and goes to areas familiar with it in life.

Thank you Father

what about the toll houses?

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure I am understanding this in the right way. When you say the soul visits places familiar with it in life, are you speaking of visiting places here on earth?

What is the purpose of visiting paradise and hades. And (forgive me if this reeks of heresy) I thought I understood that all souls go to be with Christ after death, the wicked experiencing His love as torment and the justified experiencing it as bliss. Fr. Freeman speaks of the "one-story universe," which is, as I have been led to understand, that there is no heaven nor hell, only the Kingdom of God, which is being present with Christ.

What chronology of the "journey," and what understanding, am I missing here?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I am understanding this in the right way. When you say the soul visits places familiar with it in life, are you speaking of visiting places here on earth?

yes

What is the purpose of visiting paradise and hades. And (forgive me if this reeks of heresy) I thought I understood that all souls go to be with Christ after death, the wicked experiencing His love as torment and the justified experiencing it as bliss. Fr. Freeman speaks of the "one-story universe," which is, as I have been led to understand, that there is no heaven nor hell, only the Kingdom of God, which is being present with Christ.

so you are in full knowledge of where you are going and what you are rejecting. and Christ is present the whole time so it’s still a one story universe.

What chronology of the "journey," and what understanding, am I missing here?

a chronology that is beyond our comprehension this side of the grave.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Heaven and Hell are still places but the state of mind is what we focus on since the places are beyond what we will recognize.

plus the real distinction is how we experience God’s love, either as blessedness or wrath.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Visiting Hades…the mere thought is terrifying. I hope the Lord will spare me that tour! :crosseo::crosseo::crosseo:

I don’t think we do. but the knowledge of being shown it is to bring about repentance for people.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
....but can there be repentance after death? It's my understanding the answer is no.

by hades, do you mean "hell"? (not the eternal hell...yet).

correct, there is no repentance after death. however, a person’s heart can be such that at death, they are sent to hades to be released by the prayers of the Church or when Christ returns in glory.

and hades is prior to the resurrection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is "heaven" referred to as Paradise prior to the second coming of Christ? Or is it it the Kingdom of God?

Additional question: How is the Kingdom of God defined?

sometimes both. it’s also the resurrected life Christ and Mary are experiencing.

to answer your second question, it’s the worshipping community of the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
sometimes both. it’s also the resurrected life Christ and Mary are experiencing.

to answer your second question, it’s the worshipping community of the Orthodox Church.
thanks for your response and clarification

God bless

Upvote 0