Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Wondering what the differences are in doctrine between these two branches of Christianity. Thanks for any answers.

Well you should ask the differences between the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church and the Church of Rome. The EO ARE Catholic. There are some similarities and some large differences. For one thing, we do not recognize the pope of Rome (as Rome defines him). Our doctrine of "original sin" is different and influences many differences after that.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well you should ask the differences between the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church and the Church of Rome. The EO ARE Catholic. There are some similarities and some large differences. For one thing, we do not recognize the pope of Rome (as Rome defines him). Our doctrine of "original sin" is different and influences many differences after that.

Apologies for getting the Catholic thing wrong... Might I ask what these differences are in original sin?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Before the 1,054 A.D. Schism there were 5 Patriarchal Bishops of the Church
(5 Holy Sees - Constantinople, Rome, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria)

Pentarchy - Wikipedia

The 5 Patriarchs during the 1,054 A.D. Schism were :

• Constantinople : Michael Kerularios (1000-1059 A.D.)
• Rome : Leo IX (1002-1082 A.D.)
• Alexandria : Leontius (1052-1059 A.D.)
• Antioch : Peter III of Antioch (1052-1056 A.D.) or John IV, V, or Dionysius (1051-62 A.D.)
• Jerusalem : Sophronios II (1040-1059 A.D.) or Ioannikios (1048-?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Wondering what the differences are in doctrine between these two branches of Christianity. Thanks for any answers.
Catholics will say the differences are few and small. Orthodox will say the differences are many and huge. If you want to know what they think are the many and huge differences go to their forum and ask them. They will tell you all about it. You will get two ear-fulls. We are essentially the same. We share the same sacraments. We share the same Church Fathers. We just grew apart when the paths of communication grew treacherous as the Roman Empire declined. Catholics are ready for re-union. But it ain't gonna happen.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Apologies for getting the Catholic thing wrong... Might I ask what these differences are in original sin?

No, you didn't get it wrong. @Yeshua HaDerekh is introducing polemics into this thread. The proper name of our Church is the Catholic Church, not the Roman Church. The idea that it is the "Roman Church" is an EO polemic used to downplay Catholics. It would be equally true to say that the Catholic Church is orthodox as to say that the Orthodox Church is catholic. It's a difference of proper nouns.

Further, the Catholic Church is not limited to Rome. There are 23 Eastern Catholic Churches which are part of the Catholic Church, do not use the Roman Rite, and accept things like Papal Primacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Two of the biggest differences are the filioque and the understanding of the Papacy.

"Filioque" is Latin for "and from the Son." The Catholic Niceno-Constantinopolitan creed says that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and from the Son. The Eastern Orthodox Niceno-Constantinopolitan creed says that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. The Eastern Orthodox creed is older than the Catholic creed.

The second difference concerns the status of the Pope, the bishop of Rome. Eastern Orthodox believe that the Pope is the first among equals, but that the title is honorific and does not mean that the Pope has power over the other patriarchs. Catholics believe that the Pope has "full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered." That is, for Catholics the Pope is the head-honcho. For Orthodox he is not. This became a bigger issue when Catholics dogmatized Papal Infallibility at the First Vatican Council in 1870.

The original break included many cultural and political issues, but I think these two points are the biggest differences between the two groups today.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Catholics will say the differences are few and small. Orthodox will say the differences are many and huge. If you want to know what they think are the many and huge differences go to their forum and ask them. They will tell you all about it. You will get two ear-fulls. We are essentially the same. We share the same sacraments. We share the same Church Fathers. We just grew apart when the paths of communication grew treacherous as the Roman Empire declined. Catholics are ready for re-union. But it ain't gonna happen.

We might refer to the documents of the Joint Declaration at Revenna in 2007, along with the comments from various groups.

I agree that many Orthodox believe that the difference are huge. As a review of these documents suggest even the role of the Patriarch of Rome is not all that different. Communion at each other's churches is again being discussed in 2020.

As I recall from the last time I looked at this, it is one of the Patriarchs that is especially opposed to any further movements toward more unity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Patriarch Bartholomew said "The manner in which we exist has become ontologically different
", in his address to Georgetown University.
If, as you say, we are ontologically different, which is to say entirely separate entities, then you get to thumb your nose at us without also thumbing your nose at yourself. Patriarch Bartholomew also said "Our love towards you is warm." I don't know what that means but it clearly is not warm from lots of Orthodox. Or maybe 'warm' as in how they might feel about the heathens.

I'm not going to unread the Fathers, toss my patristics books into the fire, or do anything which would look like there is an ontological difference between Catholics and the Orthodox. For to me there is no ontological difference between us. You can affirm your ontological difference all you want. You can reject my baptism if you want. Whatever you want. I accept you and the rest of the Orthodox as a brother even if it is not reciprocated. And from what I continually see, it isn't.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We might refer to the documents of the Joint Declaration at Revenna in 2007, along with the comments from various groups.

I agree that many Orthodox believe that the difference are huge. As a review of these documents suggest even the role of the Patriarch of Rome is not all that different. Communion at each other's churches is again being discussed in 2020.

As I recall from the last time I looked at this, it is one of the Patriarchs that is especially opposed to any further movements toward more unity.

The Ravenna Document has been removed from the Vatican website, but can be found here. From what I can see it acknowledges notable differences in how to understand the status of the bishop of Rome. For example:

41. Both sides agree that this canonical taxis was recognised by all in the era of the undivided Church. Further, they agree that Rome, as the Church that “presides in love” according to the phrase of St Ignatius of Antioch (To the Romans, Prologue), occupied the first place in the taxis, and that the bishop of Rome was therefore the protos among the patriarchs. They disagree, however, on the interpretation of the historical evidence from this era regarding the prerogatives of the bishop of Rome as protos, a matter that was already understood in different ways in the first millennium.​

• Informative
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If, as you say, we are ontologically different, which is to say entirely separate entities,...

Without reading the document at length, he seems to be saying that the Orthodox mode of being is spiritual-experiential whereas the Catholic mode of being is doctrinal-rational.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I accept you and the rest of the Orthodox as a brother even if it is not reciprocated. And from what I continually see, it isn't.
If there is anything consistent about your attitude towards Orthodox that I have noticed, it is that you take every opportunity to make a derogatory statement regarding my brethren, always painting us in a negative light. Very 'brotherly' of you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Without reading the document at length, he seems to be saying that the Orthodox mode of being is spiritual-experiential whereas the Catholic mode of being is doctrinal-rational.
A mode of being can differ even if the parts are of the same being.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If there is anything consistent about your attitude towards Orthodox that I have noticed, it is that you take every opportunity to make a derogatory statement regarding my brethren, always painting us in a negative light. Very 'brotherly' of you.
If, as you say, we are ontologically different, where is the 'brotherly' anyhow? Am I even a brother to the Orthodox according to the Orthodox? I can't get a very straight answer on that.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, you didn't get it wrong. @Yeshua HaDerekh is introducing polemics into this thread. The proper name of our Church is the Catholic Church, not the Roman Church. The idea that it is the "Roman Church" is an EO polemic used to downplay Catholics. It would be equally true to say that the Catholic Church is orthodox as to say that the Orthodox Church is catholic. It's a difference of proper nouns.

Further, the Catholic Church is not limited to Rome. There are 23 Eastern Catholic Churches which are part of the Catholic Church, do not use the Roman Rite, and accept things like Papal Primacy.

LOL, if that were the case you WOULD be Orthodox...no polemics at all...the church of Rome is not NOW limited to Rome because it broke church canons that it signed and then went into other Patriarchal territories...

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
LOL, if that were the case you WOULD be Orthodox...no polemics at all...the church of Rome is not NOW limited to Rome because it broke church canons that it signed and then went into other Patriarchal territories...

So it turns out you don't have a monopoly on catholicism, orthodoxy, or Eastern territories. So sorry to break the news to you.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0