Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Leadership journal has a new article online in which Chuck Swindoll is interviewed about what is happening with music in the church. The article is titled, “The Problem with Pizzazz: Has entertainment replaced Scripture as the center of our worship?”

Chuck is concerned with what entertainment in the church is doing. Here are a few grabs from the article:
His latest book, The Church Awakening: An Urgent Call for Renewal, outlines the dangers when churches seek the world's affirmation and copy the world's methods….

It troubled me then, and it's enormously troubling to me now because the result is an entertainment mentality that leads to biblical ignorance.

And alongside that is a corporate mentality. We're tempted to think of the church as a business with a cross stuck on top (if it has a cross at all). "We really shouldn't look like a church." I've heard that so much I want to vomit. "Why?" I ask. "Do you want your bank to look like a bank? Do you want your doctor's office to look like a doctor's office, or would you prefer your doctor to dress like a clown? Would you be comfortable if your attorney dressed like a surfer and showed movies in his office? Then why do you want your church's worship center to look like a talk show set?"….

I have been to church services, and you have too, where the only people who knew the songs were the band. I'm not edified. I'm just watching a show. And they're not interested in teaching me the songs either. They just sing louder to make up for the fact that no one else is singing. Loud doesn't help. Why do they do that? Do you want me to be impressed with how loud you are singing, how accomplished you are? I'm not. I'm not here to be impressed with you. I'm here to fall back in love with Christ…..

Here's what troubles me: I don't know why leaders younger than me aren't saying this. I'm not talking about novices, but the leaders in their forties and fifties. Why aren't they raising questions and showing some concern for where the church is heading with its focus on media and headcount and passive spectating? I know one church that has 17 people on their media staff and only 12 on the pastoral staff.

When a church is spending more of its budget on media than shepherding, something is out of whack. We have gotten things twisted around. My book is simply saying come back, folks. I'm not against innovation. But we need more wisdom….
Has Chuck Swindoll hit the mark. Are evangelical churches more places of entertainment than places of worship?

Has he shown how the entertainment mode in churches leads to biblical illiteracy? What’s the future for the church if it continues to entertain the people who attend?

In Christ, Oz

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
?

Has he shown how the entertainment mode in churches leads to biblical illiteracy? What’s the future for the church if it continues to entertain the people who attend?

In Christ, Oz

Bible illiteracy was here long before Hillsongs.:cool:

Many Bible illiterates have been drawn into churches where they can be exposed to Bible literacy.

I am not aware of any congregation that frowns upon Bible study and says all you have to do is worship. New worship songs are full of direct bible quotes, for the most part. One mans worship music sounds like entertainment music to the next guy.

Some view cathedral organ music as entertainment music. Some view any musical instrumentation during a service the same way.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
SGM,
Bible illiteracy was here long before Hillsongs.:cool:

Many Bible illiterates have been drawn into churches where they can be exposed to Bible literacy.

I am not aware of any congregation that frowns upon Bible study and says all you have to do is worship. New worship songs are full of direct bible quotes, for the most part. One mans worship music sounds like entertainment music to the next guy.

Some view cathedral organ music as entertainment music. Some view any musical instrumentation during a service the same way.
Please compare the lyrics of the songs of Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts & Fanny Crosby with Hillsong content, and there is a VAST difference in biblical content.

In Christ, Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not attend church. However, from time to time, Chuck Swindoll is one pastor I listen to on the radio and am fond of. Often I have heard judgement begins in the House of the Lord. All that Swindoll targets is that which needs modified in order to mature as the Body of Christ.
Of soundness in praise, I have learned to praise Him in the beginning segments of my personal prayer time, thanks to the podcast/direction of the Dizdars. Newly stumbling around in my aim to praise spiritually, I repeated lines from songs I belove: Oh, Oh Praise Him/He is Holy. These days I still do that, but I also add, using others' examples and my own works, my understanding of His attributes.
I use songs of worship to praise Him and to learn of His word. From what I understand of His word, He does not want us to be stationary, but commands us to Move. Swindoll targets the stationary aspect of close call entertainment, the corporate church hooked on fruit siphoning. More, Swindoll conforms to the direct commands given to us; this is the fellowship I seek, awkwardly. Honorably reactional, Swindoll gets the message out there.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't follow your point. Care to explain VAST DIFFERENCES?
I wrote: “Please compare the lyrics of the songs of Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts & Fanny Crosby with Hillsong content, and there is a VAST difference in biblical content.”

Compare!
Charles Wesley

And Can It Be

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Refrain

Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

'Tis mystery all: th'Immortal dies:
Who can explore His strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore,
Let angel minds inquire no more.

Refrain

He left His Father's throne above
So free, so infinite His grace
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race:
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For O my God, it found out me!

Refrain

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Refrain

Still the small inward voice I hear,
That whispers all my sins forgiven;
Still the atoning blood is near,
That quenched the wrath of hostile Heaven.
I feel the life His wounds impart;
I feel the Savior in my heart.

Refrain

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine;
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th'eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Refrain
And
Hillsong

All I Do
I wanted to find
Where I was going
Everything I tried
It took me nowhere
I was so tired of just living my life
Waiting for a sign
You came to my side
Gave me direction
Strong on the inside
I shine for You Lord
Now it’s my time
Now I’ve made up my mind
To be all You want for me
All I do
Is live my life for You
I know it’s true
I’ll never let You go
All I do
I’d anything for You
Everything is in Your Hands
So I get up
Get up and praise You
And I know where I’m going
I know where I’m going
Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
wintermile,
I do not attend church. However, from time to time, Chuck Swindoll is one pastor I listen to on the radio and am fond of. Often I have heard judgement begins in the House of the Lord. All that Swindoll targets is that which needs modified in order to mature as the Body of Christ.
Of soundness in praise, I have learned to praise Him in the beginning segments of my personal prayer time, thanks to the podcast/direction of the Dizdars. Newly stumbling around in my aim to praise spiritually, I repeated lines from songs I belove: Oh, Oh Praise Him/He is Holy. These days I still do that, but I also add, using others' examples and my own works, my understanding of His attributes.
I use songs of worship to praise Him and to learn of His word. From what I understand of His word, He does not want us to be stationary, but commands us to Move. Swindoll targets the stationary aspect of close call entertainment, the corporate church hooked on fruit siphoning. More, Swindoll conforms to the direct commands given to us; this is the fellowship I seek, awkwardly. Honorably reactional, Swindoll gets the message out there.
Welcome! I see that this is your first post. May the Lord bless and encourage you as you interact with us on CF.

Do you have a disability that prevents you from meeting with the people of God in your local area?

In Christ, Oz

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mmm, christian music is 'entertainment' espically since they make $$$ of CD's, dove awards etc. In the church there is a thin line between the two. A show off musician will make a service be entertainment, while the fair musician with a passion and annointing will create a worship atmosphere

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But is "biblical content" always what we are aiming for in worship and praise? Aren't we supposed to pour out our hearts before the Lord as David did?
Talitha yes I agree!
My point is lyrics are not contrary to biblical content as in Rolling Stones "sympathy for the devil"

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
mmm, christian music is 'entertainment' espically since they make $$$ of CD's, dove awards etc. In the church there is a thin line between the two. A show off musician will make a service be entertainment, while the fair musician with a passion and annointing will create a worship atmosphere

Some worship music is played on the radio and can become entertainment music.

100% agreement with show off musician statement:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Emmanuel
Our God is with us
Prince of peace
Mighty one
The ever-living God

See the praises of our savior
Rise to open skies
With the dawning of redemption
Your glory will arise
For You alone are worthy
Here in Zion you are praised
Our Lord and King
Forever You will reign
Would you please engage us in conversation with your points?

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Would you please engage us in conversation with your points?

Oz

I presented several points in my first post on this thread.

The only point we are discussing is no modern worship group music can compare with the lyrics than the ones you presented.

I don't have a problem with the cautions that Swindoll makes, I don't think his observations apply to a great deal of modern worship songs or churches that embrace these type songs.

Our church uses hymns, Messianic and modern type worship songs during services. I believe annointed worship songs come in more than one variety.
I am also for Bible Literacy.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Talitha,
I am definitely for Bible Literacy - but I don't think our praise and worship is necessarily the place for that.
The content of praise and worship songs/hymns is an indicator of that church's approach to biblical content (literacy).

Sincerely, Oz

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The content of praise and worship songs/hymns is an indicator of that church's approach to biblical content (literacy).
Hmmm, do you mean inasmuch as we would not put a song in our repertoire that we considered bad theology? Hmmm, I think most people would consider it bad theology to worship the cross itself, but many churches sing Old Rugged Cross, which in my view is at least tantamount to idolatry. There are many songs like that which people sing without thinking deeply enough about theology, songs that are labeled "hymns" and songs that are labeled "praise and worship songs". Like it or not, the songs in most churches today are chosen on the basis of nostalgia (Old Rugged Cross) or emotional response (choose a Hillsong at random (sorry, I admit I have an attitude about Hillsongs)).

Upvote 0