✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey,
I have way more time now that my wife left and took my kids and I only get to see them a couple days a week ☹️

I’m filling lots of my time with fellowship and ministry and bible study and I listen to a lot of sermons...

but late at night I used to watch TV constantly and because I don’t feel like that content honors God, I quit.

lately I’ve been spending a lot of time hanging out with my real life best friend on his twitch stream because he’s a professional gamer. I try to be a light to him and his unbelieving friends, and I also really love doing it to spend time with him (lives far away) and it’s super entertaining.

1) what did or do you do to kill time at nights or for leisure post divorce
2) is it scripturally defensible to spend an hour or two on my nights away from my kids on twitch with my friends?

For #2) I know doing things for fun is “normal” but I’m no longer interested in being normal, I want to obey and seek joy from Jesus—but I also don’t want to become a legalist and shut myself off from people I care about.

appreciate your thoughts!

Jordan1989

Jan 1, 2019
Newburgh
✟23,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I hear you on the TV thing. Every now and then I would get depressed and submerge myself into gaming marathons for sometimes 8+ hours a day. I decided that gaming had become an idol in my life and sold my consoles. I’m in a much happier place now and using my time more wisely and in ways that I really wanted to all along.

1) I’ve gotten back into the gym and have found the health benefits- physical and mental, to be great. Also been going with a close friend of mine and we’ve been developing our friendship.

I’ve resumed an old hobby of mine - playing the guitar. I figure that if I get married again, my free time for hobbies will be more limited, so I’m devoting time to skills while the time is there. I also discovered a new hobby in hiking and I love it!

Along with the Bible, Ive been reading more books that are christian related, but not necessarily the Bible. I just got done reading a book by Charles Stanley called “Man of God”. I’m trying to prepare myself if there is another marriage in my future by learning as much as I can on what it means to be a man, husband, and father. I certainly know I made a lot of mistakes in my last marriage, and the lessons I’ve been learning from this book have been so valuable.

2) your question about twitch is one that I think is a matter of discernment. The Bible says “whatever you do, do it all for the glory of god.” I don’t think being on twitch with friends is a bad thing, just make sure it doesn’t turn into an idol that you worship. I know from experience that it’s easy to do, and it will cause your faith to suffer and the spirit to be quenched. If you are only doing it for an hour or two, I don’t see anything wrong with that, if you are doing it in a way that glorifies God. Now if you were on there cursing with your friends and cracking crude jokes and stuff, that would be another matter. Also, pay attention to the types of images you are exposing yourself too on there. As an avid gamer my whole life, I know there are plenty of fine and beautiful games out there, but there are also many where the purpose of the game is ultimately living a carnal life and being entertained by things that God hates (such as grand theft auto).

hope this helps. God bless!

jordan

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I hear you on the TV thing. Every now and then I would get depressed and submerge myself into gaming marathons for sometimes 8+ hours a day. I decided that gaming had become an idol in my life and sold my consoles. I’m in a much happier place now and using my time more wisely and in ways that I really wanted to all along.

1) I’ve gotten back into the gym and have found the health benefits- physical and mental, to be great. Also been going with a close friend of mine and we’ve been developing our friendship.

I’ve resumed an old hobby of mine - playing the guitar. I figure that if I get married again, my free time for hobbies will be more limited, so I’m devoting time to skills while the time is there. I also discovered a new hobby in hiking and I love it!

Along with the Bible, Ive been reading more books that are christian related, but not necessarily the Bible. I just got done reading a book by Charles Stanley called “Man of God”. I’m trying to prepare myself if there is another marriage in my future by learning as much as I can on what it means to be a man, husband, and father. I certainly know I made a lot of mistakes in my last marriage, and the lessons I’ve been learning from this book have been so valuable.

2) your question about twitch is one that I think is a matter of discernment. The Bible says “whatever you do, do it all for the glory of god.” I don’t think being on twitch with friends is a bad thing, just make sure it doesn’t turn into an idol that you worship. I know from experience that it’s easy to do, and it will cause your faith to suffer and the spirit to be quenched. If you are only doing it for an hour or two, I don’t see anything wrong with that, if you are doing it in a way that glorifies God. Now if you were on there cursing with your friends and cracking crude jokes and stuff, that would be another matter. Also, pay attention to the types of images you are exposing yourself too on there. As an avid gamer my whole life, I know there are plenty of fine and beautiful games out there, but there are also many where the purpose of the game is ultimately living a carnal life and being entertained by things that God hates (such as grand theft auto).

hope this helps. God bless!

jordan

thanks for the awesome answer!

Upvote 0