Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
In some recent conversations, the meanings and distinctions between one entering the Kingdom and one inheriting the Kingdom came to play in the discussion. To be honest, I never really thought to much about it, any distinction between them being largely academic to my point of view, so I thought I would seek out your opinions and reasoning as to the sameness or differences to these two concepts and why they are as you see them.

For my part, it seems to me that the language surrounding these two concepts is so similar that it is nearly impossible to see any clear distinction. For instance, 1Cor 6:9 says,

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men a 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

But Matt 7:21-23 tells us,
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So one says that wrongdoers will not inherit the Kingdom, and the other says that evildoers will not enter the Kingdom. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the language.

So I'll sit back and see what your thoughts are. Thanks for reading,

Doug

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Entering and inheriting work they way they work in everyday life.

Entering is an unbeliever becoming a believer and them being allowed to enter in to the kingdom.

A person inherits something from say a family member (maybe at death) a believer will inherit (rewards in the kingdom) that is if they are not judged and lose their inheritance.

Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 25:34
Matt 25:31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Okay, but the entire context is about where you go, where you will enter for the rest of eternity, either the heavenly kingdom or the hellish kingdom. Verse 46 makes this clear! The results are life and death, and yet the term is inherit, not enter. This just underscores my original conclusion.

Doug

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In some recent conversations, the meanings and distinctions between one entering the Kingdom and one inheriting the Kingdom came to play in the discussion. To be honest, I never really thought to much about it, any distinction between them being largely academic to my point of view,
Jesus said:

Mat 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I guess this verse belongs in the "inherit" column. Linguistically, "inherit" indicates to stay and live in the Kingdom.

But Jesus also mentioned certain people who will not even "enter" the Kingdom. This is an emphasis on their exclusion. It is obvious that those who will not enter, will not inherit.

Will some people enter but not inherit? If this can be proven, it would refute Calvinism.

So, I agree with you that there is no difference in the ultimate meaning.

Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Entering and inheriting work they way they work in everyday life.

Entering is an unbeliever becoming a believer and them being allowed to enter in to the kingdom.

A person inherits something from say a family member (maybe at death) a believer will inherit (rewards in the kingdom) that is if they are not judged and lose their inheritance.

This tells me nothing regarding if and why scripturally this is true. Obviously, inheritance is typically when someone dies, but we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, and the Father never dies! So this is not a straightforward sense of inheritance. Furthermore, inheritance is not reward for service, but simply a gracious offering of something that the Father desires his family and/or friends. One does not technically "earn" an inheritance.

Doug

Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said:

Mat 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I guess this verse belongs in the "inherit" column. Linguistically, "inherit" indicates to stay and live in the Kingdom.

But Jesus also mentioned certain people who will not even "enter" the Kingdom. This is an emphasis on their exclusion. It is obvious that those who will not enter, will not inherit.

Will some people enter but not inherit? If this can be proven, it would refute Calvinism.

So, I agree with you that there is no difference in the ultimate meaning.

Hi, thanks for responding. I can see why you would say ""inherit" indicates to stay and live in the Kingdom", but I think that it more directly points to the idea of ownership. Certainly, living in the kingdom is implicit, but that isn't, in my mind, the primary meaning of inheritance.

I am curious about what you mean by "Will some people enter but not inherit? If this can be proven, it would refute Calvinism." I'm not sure what you mean by this. How do you think this would this refute Calvinism?

Doug

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am curious about what you mean by "Will some people enter but not inherit? If this can be proven, it would refute Calvinism." I'm not sure what you mean by this. How do you think this would this refute Calvinism?
That was a hypothetical question but there really does dot to be a difference between the 2 expression.

The Lord Jesus preferred to use the expression "enter the Kingdom" and the Apostle Paul preferred the expression "inherit the Kingdom." Reviewing different verses in the NT, there is no need to try to find a deep theological difference in meaning.

Mar 10:15

“Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, thanks for responding. I can see why you would say ""inherit" indicates to stay and live in the Kingdom", but I think that it more directly points to the idea of ownership. Certainly, living in the kingdom is implicit, but that isn't, in my mind, the primary meaning of inheritance.

Doug

If/when we enter the kingdom of heaven we receive our inheritance. We don't receive that in the physical sense until the Lord returns.

Until He returns we experience kingdom living spiritually but the actual inheritance doesn't happen until He returns.

Ephesians 1:11-14

In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

We don't take possession of our inheritance until He returns.

Our inheritance is guaranteed by the Holy Spirit for those who believe and remain in Christ. We have assurance that we will receive our inheritance through Christ.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the expression "inherit the Kingdom of God" mean to you?

Just asking what you meant by "linguistically" and why "inherit" "indicates to stay & live in the kingdom." Inherit typically means something different than to stay & live in. So, just wondering what your thoughts were re: any other linguistics that are pertinent here.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This tells me nothing regarding if and why scripturally this is true. Obviously, inheritance is typically when someone dies, but we are heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, and the Father never dies! So this is not a straightforward sense of inheritance. Furthermore, inheritance is not reward for service, but simply a gracious offering of something that the Father desires his family and/or friends. One does not technically "earn" an inheritance.

Doug
When a person becomes a believer they become a child of God then eligible to receive an inheritance. But that is not automatic as a person can be written out of will (usually because of some action) a believer can also lose their chance at an inheritance by their actions

Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
That was a hypothetical question but there really does dot to be a difference between the 2 expression.

The Lord Jesus preferred to use the expression "enter the Kingdom" and the Apostle Paul preferred the expression "inherit the Kingdom." Reviewing different verses in the NT, there is no need to try to find a deep theological difference in meaning.

Mar 10:15

“Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.

I would agree completely, but how does this refute Calvinism?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
When a person becomes a believer they become a child of God then eligible to receive an inheritance. But that is not automatic as a person can be written out of will (usually because of some action) a believer can also lose their chance at an inheritance by their actions

Do you see this as losing rewards only, or is the loss of salvation also possible?

Doug

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
how does this refute Calvinism?
Calvinism teaches that believers cannot lose their salvation but the following verses describe believers who would be refused entry into the Kingdom:

Mat 7:21
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

Mat 25:34
“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

1Co 6:9
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

1Co 6:10
nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:21
envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

TibiasDad

Jun 4, 2020
Pickerington, Oh
✟52,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism teaches that believers cannot lose their salvation but the following verses describe believers who would be refused entry into the Kingdom:

Mat 7:21
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

Mat 25:34
“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

1Co 6:9
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

1Co 6:10
nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5:21
envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

While I agree with you, the Calvinists would say a) that these are a loss of reward, not salvation, or that they are not really saved. How would you respond to a Calvinist making such an argument?

Doug

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In some recent conversations, the meanings and distinctions between one entering the Kingdom and one inheriting the Kingdom came to play in the discussion. To be honest, I never really thought to much about it, any distinction between them being largely academic to my point of view, so I thought I would seek out your opinions and reasoning as to the sameness or differences to these two concepts and why they are as you see them.

For my part, it seems to me that the language surrounding these two concepts is so similar that it is nearly impossible to see any clear distinction. For instance, 1Cor 6:9 says,

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men a 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
In this verse is the words "kingdom of God" refers to those who can inherit who are saved (having entered into the kingdom) and no longer are to live as the sinners that they used to be. They can't inherit if they still do any of those sins.

Having entered but not inheriting. Like some black sheep of the family who've stolen money doesn't get to inherit the parental will finances that are bequeathed to each child who doesn't steal money.
But Matt 7:21-23 tells us,
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
These are not entered into the kingdom of heaven because they are not and never were saved. The scripture says "The Lord knows those that are His." And "To those who come to Me (Jesus), I will not cast out."

They are the sinners who'd been in hell and raised up to stand at the Great White Throne Judgement. The guy who tried to claim that he was in the wrong group because he did good things.. was a liar as well as having committed any number of other sins.

They are sent to the second death.
So one says that wrongdoers will not inherit the Kingdom, and the other says that evildoers will not enter the Kingdom. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the language.
There's a great deal of difference between the two groups when you understand what "entered into" and "inherit" actually means along with understanding what the context of each verse is.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the Calvinists would say a) that these are a loss of reward, not salvation, or that they are not really saved. How would you respond to a Calvinist making such an argument?
Loss of rewards really doesn't work with "will not inherit / enter the Kingdom." There is no part in heaven that is outside the Kingdom.

There is no answer to the claim "they're not really saved." But if they start saying anyone who claims to be a born again believer may or may not be saved, then they're in Roman Catholic territory. But this is their only valid choice. They may think they're saved and go through the motions thinking they're saved while they're actually not predestined to the Kingdom. Either way, it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TibiasDad
Upvote 0