United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was it scientific consensus?

Or was it mainly fringe groups who do not represent the opinions of the scientific consensus?
Beats me --- Pluto sure wasn't scientific consensus, and was voted on by just a handful of voters (fringe group?). So that surely wouldn't stop science from moving the goalpost if they have to.

Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
When was this, anyways? Was it only shortly before 2000? Because if it was, I was about 6 or 7 years old, and I'm sure I would remember if my parents believed we were all gong to perish.

And if it was scientific consensus that yes, we were all going to die, I think I would have heard it mentioned somewhere.

Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Beats me --- Pluto sure wasn't scientific consensus, and was voted on by just a handful of voters (fringe group?). So that surely wouldn't stop science from moving the goalpost if they have to.

No, you don't understand. There is a specific group of people who decide those things. Once the change is made, scientists accept it, and it is scientific consensus.
It was scientific consensus that Pluto was a planet before the reclassification, and it was scientific consensus that Pluto was not a planet after the reclassification.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
how were they a fringe group? a group that is placed as the people to decide such issues are placed by the majority?

do you think the us government is fringe group? how about the UN?

or is it possible you don't have a bloody clue what you are talking about?

AV,a fringe group is not representative of a majority, no matter how you wish it.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

If most astronomers use the new terminology, it is the concensus. It doesn't matter how many people voted. And no the International Astronomical Union is not a fringe group.

As far as goal posts are concerned you are the only one moving them.
1. This thread started discussing the lies of Ron Carlson in his video.
2. You then shifted the posts to discussing science and "changing facts."
3. Next you accuse "science" of being responsible for the ideas of computer programmers and fringe groups, the negligence of NASA and drug companies and even for alchemy.

You continue to show us all what a creationist has to due to try and win points.. ignore the O.P. and muddy the water. Good show :wave:

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
just to get back on track, i watched 5 mins of his nonsense then closed it.
he just regurgitates the same nonsense PRATTS and lies every creationist says. he fails to understand how people catalog fossils or how geology works even!

its sad that people are so uninterested in science, that con-artists like the guy in the video can get them nodding their heads with little or no effort

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Pluto is pluto, it was pluto 3 billion years ago, it will be pluto in 3 billion more. Nothing fundimentally changed about pluto itself, only its classification. Classifications are purely out of human convenience, yes they attempt to reflect tangible differences but the borderlines are always fuzzy.

You would think that the difference between a multicellular and unicellular organism couldnt be more stark, but thats not so clear once you compare primitive multicellulars to colonial unicellulars. you can put a sponge in a blender and the organism will simply reassemble itself. However, it has different cell types which is the first step to having tissues and organs. These specialized cells have a specialized function and work to benefit the organism, making it multicellular.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would think that the difference between a multicellular and unicellular organism couldnt be more stark, but thats not so clear once you compare primitive multicellulars to colonial unicellulars.
Are you talking biology here or history? How did we go from Pluto clear back to the Pilgrims? :scratch:

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You would think that the difference between a multicellular and unicellular organism couldnt be more stark, but thats not so clear once you compare primitive multicellulars to colonial unicellulars.

Are you talking biology here or history? How did we go from Pluto clear back to the Pilgrims? :scratch:

Pilgrims? cause they're colonial? ha ha ha.....

:pray: please tell me that was a joke.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
He was trying to get back to the O.P. after unsucessfully trying to explain why you shouldn't use your tired, old, worn-out Pluto argument. At least he did use separate paragraphs. :p

Pilgrims? cause they're colonial? ha ha ha.....

:pray: please tell me that was a joke.

Yeah... AVET does have a sense of humor. Not the greatest joke, perhaps.... :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums