United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Greetings from New Mexico.

My wife of 50 years and I are "sheltering in place". Because I'm 76 and my health has never been the greatest, my wife won't let me leave the house except for a 20 minute Nordic walk. She does the food shopping and that's about it; our prescriptions are delivered by mail.

So how do I fill my days? Aside from doing the dishes and putting away the laundry, I fill my days with -- ready? -- reading the Bible. I have two translations that I generally: the NRSV (easy reading and good notes) and the NIV First Century Study Bible (tiny print but a plethora of excellent explanations about what the Bible meant to the ancient people of the Mediterranean region).

So being shut in is a blessing for an old coot like me. 8^)

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you have a good plan. I too am doing more bible reading with any extra time as well. Stay safe and may the joy of the Lord be your strength in these difficult times.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi pescador, Greetings from the UK! :)

I think you're wise to stay indoors, apart from your walk, and you seem to be using your time well.

I have a NIV Study Bible and often use the cross-references in the study notes (below the text) to link to other parts of the Bible. I find it gives an extra depth to the reading. I've never hear of the First Century Study Bible though. It must give better understanding of what the New Testament writers, in particular, were conveying to their readers.

Oh, and laundry and dishes - there's that here too! :D

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi pescador, Greetings from the UK! :)

I think you're wise to stay indoors, apart from your walk, and you seem to be using your time well.

I have a NIV Study Bible and often use the cross-references in the study notes (below the text) to link to other parts of the Bible. I find it gives an extra depth to the reading. I've never hear of the First Century Study Bible though. It must give better understanding of what the New Testament writers, in particular, were conveying to their readers.

Oh, and laundry and dishes - there's that here too! :D

Greetings!

Our thoughts and prayers are with PM Boris Johnson. Regardless of the eventual outcome he is an example to the world that no one, no matter how important, is immune from the COVID-19 virus.

The First Century NIV was a special publication that accompanies the text with extensive notes explaining the ancient cultures to those of us who are millennia removed from the times when they were written. I'm not sure if it's still in print; you might want to check Amazon if you're interested.

Be well! And God bless you.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Greetings!

Our thoughts and prayers are with PM Boris Johnson. Regardless of the eventual outcome he is an example to the world that no one, no matter how important, is immune from the COVID-19 virus.

The First Century NIV was a special publication that accompanies the text with extensive notes explaining the ancient cultures to those of us who are millennia removed from the times when they were written. I'm not sure if it's still in print; you might want to check Amazon if you're interested.

Be well! And God bless you.
Thank you so much for your prayers for Boris Johnson. He has worked hard to get us through this difficult time and whilst others in Government have had it and recovered he is now in ICU. As you say no-one is immune.

I will look at Amazon for the First Century Bible. Thanks for the idea and God bless you and your wife....and stay safe both of you.

BTW I like your "..Bible is shaped like a heart, not a club." tagline. :)

Upvote 0

SirHash

Jan 28, 2019
Pearland
✟24,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Awesome. Stay safe bro.
Keep grinding. I have these memories of my grandfather (he was a missionary/preacher) visiting my house on vacations in his pj's reading his Bible on my reading desk (they stayed in my room). I've heard his sermons, I've seen him be pretty nasty at times too, but those mental pictures of his quiet, earnest Bible study are what sold it for me. What a beautiful thing to be "caught" doing.

Upvote 0