Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was an item on the news the other day about the English rugby team singing the national anthem rather than an English song like the welsh and the scots teams do. What would you recommend as a suitable English anthem for the team to sing at matches?

My suggestions are

Jerusalem
Bob the builder
Mr blobby
The white cliffs of Dover

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
My suggestions are

Jerusalem
But the lyrics are weird. It's all about Jesus visiting the UK, which I am confident never happened. It comes from an imperialist time when many Britons considered themselves to be such a dominant master race, that the idea of the messiah not choosing to visit their ancestral home was implausible. ie the lyrics are nonsense
The white cliffs of Dover
"There'll be bluebirds over..."

There won't. Bluebirds are native to North America, and do not live in the UK.

Land of Hope & Glory is another option, though you'd have to put up with Elgar turning in his grave, as he hated the nationalistic lyrics, written by someone else of course.

Rule Brittania? Is basically about how awesome the Royal Navy is. Not sure it's a 21st century message.

Best go with Bob the Builder I reckon.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Jarvis

Quoth The Raven
Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
recommend as a suitable English anthem for the team to sing at matches?

My suggestions are

Jerusalem

Jerusalem - The Tory party anthem to remind us who our betters are, and that we should know our place in society.

My teen years were in the 60's how about Sunshine of Your Love by Cream Cream - Sunshine of Your Love - YouTube :cool:

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know this is more for football (who watches rugby anyway :p ) but the anthem has to be "Vindaloo" by Fat Les.

I humbly volunteer a pair of red shoes, black dress and leopard skin jacket for anyone wishing to imitate the drunk lass who can stagger around in the background while the team sings this. :)

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is more for football (who watches rugby anyway :p ) but the anthem has to be "Vindaloo" by Fat Les.

I humbly volunteer a pair of red shoes, black dress and leopard skin jacket for anyone wishing to imitate the drunk lass who can stagger around in the background while the team sings this. :)

Lol made me laugh:thumbsup:

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0