Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Except we have a universe which operates right now according to those laws and forces.
No. We have a universe that you know little about especially far far away. To impose earth time and laws out there is self deceptive.

There is absolutely no need to consider that it operated under any other circumstances - what we see and the evidence we have before us works perfectly well in the understanding that those laws have been as we witness them ever since the universe formed.
Overruled. There is every need to know what one is talking about when making Buzz Lightyear scale claims of the universe and beyond!
The only people who have anything to prove are people like you - who have taken a pre-formed conclusion and desperately need to have a different set of data to prop up those unsupported beliefs..
I am fair and open minded and honest. You are a religious fanatic.
By all means, trot out your data......
I think you mean 'trot out only fishbowl data, that is all we know ..nothing else counts..nya nya'!!!!!

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
R

rikerjoe

No. We have a universe that you know little about especially far far away. To impose earth time and laws out there is self deceptive.

No it is not. There is no reason to assume that earth is special and that the fundamental laws here are any different from elsewhere.

To say that things are different is self deceptive when you don't know if they are or not. Science is open to new data and will adjust when it is found. Until then, the base is what we DO know.

Overruled.

What makes you think you have ANY authority to overrule anything? Talk about delusion.

There is every need to know what one is talking about when making Buzz Lightyear scale claims of the universe and beyond!

Yes, so we use what we DO know, not fairytale claims unsupported by any evidence!

I am fair and open minded and honest. You are a religious fanatic.

Talk about deluded! :doh:

sciencist: Based on what we know, this is the way we think things are and here is all the evidence to support it.
dad: YOU ARE WRONG! Things WERE different then, therefore you KNOW nothing!
scientist: What do you base that on?
dad: You can't show things are the same, so YOU lose! And my bible supports me!

And YOU are the one that is open minded and not a religious fanatic?

I think you mean 'trot out only fishbowl data, that is all we know ..nothing else counts..nya nya'!!!!!

NO, ANY data will be acceptable and assessed! ANYTHING. Have anything? No? Didn't think so.

Upvote 0
R

rikerjoe

We have copies of the Bible from at least 2500 years ago.

Uhm, not that you do since the people that wrote didn't exist 2500 years ago, but how is that an argument given the premise?

Also part of the foundation for Solomon's temple is still standing in Jerusalem.

So? How is that an argument against the bible being written last Tuesday?

Upvote 0

biggles53

Mar 5, 2008
Pottsville, NSW, Australia
✟10,841.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
We have copies of the Bible from at least 2500 years ago. Also part of the foundation for Solomon's temple is still standing in Jerusalem.

No...those copies were written last Tuesday....my gnome's spell simply makes you assume that they are much older! And, as others have said, the existence of building ruins in no way alters my theory about the writing of the Bible....it was done last Tuesday...

You see my point...? If you're prepared to insert magic whenever and wherever it suits your argument, you can make anything 'possible'.... The only way that we can make useful sense of our surroundings is to operate on the understanding that what we see, touch, hear, taste and smell around us is REAL....and that imagined, unsupported concepts are just that...incapable of support...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Variable speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And btw, my religion is Christianity. I just find no conflict between it and scientific evidence.

The Bible documents such conflicts. People rising from the grave, diseases healed without vaccines, the lame walking without extended therapy, people speaking new languages without Rosetta Stone, water tasting like fine wine.....all documented conflicts between the scriptures and what "scientific evidence" would conclude.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and while you're at it.....

I have a theory that your Bible was written last Tuesday and that the gnome living at the bottom of my garden has cast a spell which causes all of us to believe that it was written 2000 years ago.

Please show why my theory could not be correct....

That's no different than any scientific theory about the past.
It's all conjecture and fiction.
You know why there is no phrase "Scientific History?"
Because the phrase would be an oxymoron.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No...those copies were written last Tuesday....my gnome's spell simply makes you assume that they are much older! And, as others have said, the existence of building ruins in no way alters my theory about the writing of the Bible....it was done last Tuesday...You see my point...? If you're prepared to insert magic whenever and wherever it suits your argument, you can make anything 'possible'.... The only way that we can make useful sense of our surroundings is to operate on the understanding that what we see, touch, hear, taste and smell around us is REAL....and that imagined, unsupported concepts are just that...incapable of support...

God claims to be Spirit and invisible. We don't expect to see any
good tools for documenting non-natural sources of input.
(My apologies to Ghost-Hunters International.)

Upvote 0
R

rikerjoe

You wouldn't, but we would. Anything that has an effect on the natural world, whether natural or non-natural, would leave a trace. That can be detected and documented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Variable speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And btw, my religion is Christianity. I just find no conflict between it and scientific evidence.
That link doesn't really say much. Neither does it provide scientific evidence. Here is a quote from it

"c, may be a function of space and time." Duh...ya think? The issue is whether space and time as per earth and the present state exist and existed in all the universe and far past.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No it is not.
Is to.

There is no reason to assume that earth is special and that the fundamental laws here are any different from elsewhere.
No reason not to!

To say that things are different is self deceptive when you don't know if they are or not.
Science doesn't know! Thanks for that. I agree it is deceptive!

Science is open to new data and will adjust when it is found. Until then, the base is what we DO know.
It can be open all it likes. Until it knows something it can shut up.

What makes you think you have ANY authority to overrule anything? Talk about delusion.
I have God. I have His word.
Yes, so we use what we DO know, not fairytale claims unsupported by any evidence!
Yes you do...on earth. You use squat in the stars.

Talk about deluded! :doh:
OK. Not like we have a choice when talking science.

And YOU are the one that is open minded and not a religious fanatic?
True.

NO, ANY data will be acceptable and assessed! ANYTHING. Have anything? No? Didn't think so.
The bible. start assessing.

Upvote 0

biggles53

Mar 5, 2008
Pottsville, NSW, Australia
✟10,841.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens

Exactly. So, such beliefs provide no benefit whatsoever in attempting to make sense of the real world. To return to the OP, it is a non-answer to cry 'goddidit' in analysing the reasons for ERV insertions to be located identically across species...you might just as effectively blame it on my gnome...

Upvote 0

BarryDesborough

Jul 11, 2010
France
✟1,473.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Spare us the God-ventriloquism. We can see your lips moving.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible documents such conflicts. People rising from the grave, diseases healed without vaccines, the lame walking without extended therapy, people speaking new languages without Rosetta Stone, water tasting like fine wine.....all documented conflicts between the scriptures and what "scientific evidence" would conclude.

Those are called miracles, as in when God temporarily suspends/alters the laws of nature He created.

That link doesn't really say much. Neither does it provide scientific evidence. Here is a quote from it

"c, may be a function of space and time." Duh...ya think? The issue is whether space and time as per earth and the present state exist and existed in all the universe and far past.

The point was that if the laws of physics did change, that's not something science is blind to, it could be detected (unless the evidence of such a thing was deliberately concealed).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.