Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've come to wonder why people are so convinced that the end of the world (in the form of Rapture and/or Tribulations) will happen *SOON*.

How many of you are aware of the number of times in history that people have predicted the end of the world to be imminent? There's been a dozen or more predictions of the end of the world within the last century - in fact, I'm told that Pat Robertson once predicted it would be 1982. A number of mystics expected the world to end in 1496. I'm told that, on a number of occasions, people have made various "preparations", such as giving gifts to the church late in 999AD.

Why?

Didn't Christ tell us that "no man knows the hour"?

I don't think this obsession with prophecy is healthy. There are people in the world *NOW*, who are alive and breathing, and who are *NOT* hypothetical, who are suffering. There are lots of things to do.

Shouldn't we go about our lives as Christ told us, rather than waiting impatiently for the second coming? Do you think He'll be *mad* at us if we aren't sufficiently full of angst about exactly when this happens?

Honestly, I don't have any particular reason to believe that the "end of the world" will happen within the next billion years. God is patient. I just don't see why we should be spending time on this; there are problems we *KNOW* we will have, unless this happens... and hoping the Rapture happens sooner so we don't have to deal with those problems doesn't strike me as a good Christian response.

After reading a few dozen mutually contradictory descriptions of what happens, all I can say is, I don't want to spend a lot of time worrying about it. God will take care of me; that's the whole point of faith. Beyond that, I'll deal with it when it happens. *If* it happens during my lifetime - and I see no reason to believe that it will.

People have been just as certain that the rapture was happining *VERY* soon on a dozen occasions in the last thousand years. Maybe we should stop worrying, and get on with our lives?

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one can know what the future will bring. There was a time when most countries had no power beyond their own borders. Not too long ago most Arab countries were poor, and had no power. All of this has changed. Many of the worlds civilizations are out of control. I think it is wishful thinking to believe we will not see some major problems in the near future.

I think we should be aware of the possibilities, and then carry on with our lives.

I am not outside peering up into the sky looking for a cruise missle, and I don't have a bomb shelter.:) But I do keep a *small* stockpile of food & water. I live in a hurricane prone area, so this just makes good sense anyway.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by seebs
I wouldn't be surprised if there are major problems - I just don't expect divine wrath to be actively involved, personally. I will be mildly surprised if the world ends within the next billion years, personally.

We can't stop Pakistan from nuking India. We have no control over China, or Russia, and they both have nuclear weapons. Can anyone stop America from launching another nuclear weapon? Israel has nuclear power, and they will protect theirselves against Iraq, Iran, etc. The point is, we have no control over other countries. IF things got bad enough, we could wipe ourselves off the planet. And God WILL NOT allow total destruction of the planet. I believe God will intervene before that happens.

And all of this might be a long way off. We should live our lives as if we will live to be 100 years old, but be ready for whatever may happen. "Be prepared" is a motto I learned as a child, and it is still a good motto.:)

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, for starters, because both of those are statements that are subject to substantial debate. :)

Look, all the arctic ice could melt, and the world would still be here, and still be full of people. The north pole has been roughly the same amount melted for the last 500 years.

Have you forgotten the 70's, when all the scientists were predicting an ice age?

We don't know much about climate yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello again Seebs . I don't know what it's like in the USA , but here in OZ the effects of ozone depletion are obvious . It is now compulsury for all school children to wear hats or caps similar to the foriegn Legion to pretect their necks as well . Skin cancer is on a rate you wouldn't believe , and more people are having malanomas removed from their bodies . I could go on but why bother .

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The ozone thing is obvious - except for the question of whether it comes and goes, and how much of an effect we're having on it, and whether it'll get worse or better next.

As to "God made me a sketpic", I spent a number of years agnostic, and I'm not inclined to accept much of anything on faith... Thus, I don't believe people who tell me there's a coming ice age, or a coming heat wave, or whatever... They don't have convincing enough evidence.

I also don't accept a teaching just because someone says so; I have to be sure of it, or I won't form an opinion on it. So, I don't worry about a lot of the things that most people obsess about, and instead, I focus on compassion and love, because those are *definitely* Christian virtues. I mostly leave the fretting about exactly which behaviors are sinful this month to the people who are inclined to care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Back To The Future
You didn't have my answer for a choice.
Never!!
The Bible doesn't teach it.
Nancy :scratch:

Nancy, you heard me right, NEVER! I'm just going by what the scripture says! There is no Rapture in the Bible! :cry: Doesn't that just break your heart?
Oh you'll find plenty of Rapture books on the shelves of the Christian book stores and even in the secular book stores but not in God's book! I mean the 66 books!
If you can show me where it is in the scriptures, I'll be looking out for your reply...... I know your answer will be very interesting. :) I think I have a feeling your going to quote 1Thess4:13-18 maybe?

Upvote 0

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by seebs
I don't think the ozone layer will be "gone" any time soon. We'll see, but I suspect you're going off some fairly sensationalist sources.

Hi Seebs, Do you believe that God created a very resilient planet earth? Why do a lot of people especially Christians believe our earth is so fragile? Why would God want to destroy the earth that he created? Why are so many Christians so quick to believe the gloom and doom message that someday God is going to destroy planet earth?
I am one of those believers who believes in a God who created this earth with no ending. It's going to be here for a long time, as in forever! The God I serve has great plans for His creation and ending it is not in His plans as is so taught by so many modern Bible teachers and preachers today!

Just some questions & thoughts for you to ponder.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.