West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

oer 500,000 little girls are at risk for islamic female mutilation according to this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1381943/pdf/pubhealthrep00038-0014.pdf

"FGM is found mostly within and adjacent to Muslim communities in Central-North Africa, but it is not required by Islam or practiced in most Muslim countries, and prevalence rates vary according to ethnicity, not religion.[15] However, Muslim views are claimed[16][17][18] to have permitted, justified, even encouraged FGM, over human history."

a quote from here:

Religious views on female genital mutilation - Wikipedia

I have never heard of this practice as a christian and this is why:
"
The Christian Bible (New Testament) does not mention female circumcision (i.e. removal of clitoral hood ) or female genital mutilation (i.e. clitoridectomy and infibulation).[89][90]

Christian authorities unanimously agree that FGM (i.e. clitoridectomy and infibulation) has no foundation in the religious texts of Christianity.[91] Some Christian women, in Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania, however do undergo a procedure of genital mutilation believing it to be a religious requirement.[91]

In Africa, missionaries have tried to discourage FGM (i.e. clitoridectomy and infibulation). However, in some instances, in order to retain converts from other religions, they have either ignored or condoned the continuation of these practices. When in the 1930s European Christians tried to make opposition to FGM a condition of church membership and a test of loyalty, they provoked a far-reaching campaign in colonial Kenya. Mary Nyangweso, a Kenyan researcher who studies "the interplay of religion, culture, and gender",[92] states, "Christianity, it is important to stress, does not advocate the total eradication of the Nandi female initiation rite. Rather it advocates the need to eradicate the practice of female circumcision that involves clitoridectomy and excision because it is physically unhealthy and does not conform to Christian teaching. The initiation rite can continue to be practised and the actual circumcision can be replaced by some other symbolic acts not harmful to women's bodies. This can be derived from the culture itself or Scripture that now forms part of the Nandi way of life."[93]"

again from link above

Last edited:

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have heard Islamic religious reasons given for fgm, even hadiths cited.

For a little clarity...

FGM predates Islam by a huge margin ... it is thought to have begun as early as 800 BC. (Mackie 2000, 264, 267)

"There is no mention of it in the Quran. It is praised in several hadith (sayings attributed to Muhammad) as noble but not required." (Asmani and Abdi (USAID) 2008, 6–13. Cited in Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia

'In 2007 the Al-Azhar Supreme Council of Islamic Research in Cairo ruled that FGM had "no basis in core Islamic law or any of its partial provisions"' (UNICEF press release, 2 July 2007; UNICEF 2013, 70. Cited in Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia)

"Christian communities in Africa do practise it. A 2013 UNICEF report identified 17 African countries in which at least 10 percent of Christian women and girls aged 15 to 49 had undergone FGM; in Niger 55 percent of Christian women and girls had experienced it, compared with two percent of their Muslim counterparts. The only Jewish group known to have practised it are the Beta Israel of Ethiopia. Judaism requires male circumcision, but does not allow FGM. FGM is also practised by animist groups, particularly in Guinea and Mali." (Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia)

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
For a little clarity...

FGM predates Islam by a huge margin ... it is thought to have begun as early as 800 BC. (Mackie 2000, 264, 267)

"There is no mention of it in the Quran. It is praised in several hadith (sayings attributed to Muhammad) as noble but not required." (Asmani and Abdi (USAID) 2008, 6–13. Cited in Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia

'In 2007 the Al-Azhar Supreme Council of Islamic Research in Cairo ruled that FGM had "no basis in core Islamic law or any of its partial provisions"' (UNICEF press release, 2 July 2007; UNICEF 2013, 70. Cited in Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia)

"Christian communities in Africa do practise it. A 2013 UNICEF report identified 17 African countries in which at least 10 percent of Christian women and girls aged 15 to 49 had undergone FGM; in Niger 55 percent of Christian women and girls had experienced it, compared with two percent of their Muslim counterparts. The only Jewish group known to have practised it are the Beta Israel of Ethiopia. Judaism requires male circumcision, but does not allow FGM. FGM is also practised by animist groups, particularly in Guinea and Mali." (Female genital mutilation - Wikipedia)

Hello :)

Christian authorities unanimously agree that FGM (i.e. clitoridectomy and infibulation) has no foundation in the religious texts of Christianity.[91] Some Christian women, in Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania, however do undergo a procedure of genital mutilation believing it to be a religious requirement.[91]

In Africa, missionaries have tried to discourage FGM (i.e. clitoridectomy and infibulation). However, in some instances, in order to retain converts from other religions, they have either ignored or condoned the continuation of these practices.

Cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I see NO good reason to mutilate the genitals of either boys OR girls...

Hello.

Well lets reason together my friend. :)

Circumcision in regards to boys.

Every body hold there crutches. Please excuse for the delicate issue.

I will make a statement

Straight from Goggle.

'Some older boys and men need to have a circumcision due to medicalproblems such as: Scarring of the foreskin that stops it from retracting (phimosis) Recurring inflammation or infections of the penis (balanitis or lichen sclerosis) A foreskin that is too tight and causes pain or spraying when urinating'

What do you think about this statement?

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

Well lets reason together my friend. :)

Circumcision in regards to boys.

Every body hold there crutches. Please excuse for the delicate issue.

I will make a statement

Straight from Goggle.

'Some older boys and men need to have a circumcision due to medicalproblems such as: Scarring of the foreskin that stops it from retracting (phimosis) Recurring inflammation or infections of the penis (balanitis or lichen sclerosis) A foreskin that is too tight and causes pain or spraying when urinating'

What do you think about this statement?

I feel the same about that as I do the very, very small number of females who develop cancer of the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and need to have it removed. Outside of an urgent medical need, the practice becomes as I described it above...a mutilation...

• Prayers
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I feel the same about that as I do the very, very small number of females who develop cancer of the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] and need to have it removed. Outside of an urgent medical need, the practice becomes as I described it above...a mutilation...

Hello and thank you for the reply.

How bout this one? :)
  • A 10 times lower risk of a baby getting a urinary tract infection (UTI) in his first year of life (remembering that only one per cent of babies are at risk of a UTI, so 1,000 circumcisions are needed to prevent one UTI)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hello and thank you for the reply.

How bout this one? :)
  • A 10 times lower risk of a baby getting a urinary tract infection (UTI) in his first year of life (remembering that only one per cent of babies are at risk of a UTI, so 1,000 circumcisions are needed to prevent one UTI)

Nope. Not good enough reason. And let's not be coy. The vast majority of both male and female genital mutilations are performed with NO thought to prevent disease or infirmity...

Oh, and you might want to check on the complication rate from circumcision...while you're saving 1 in a 1000 from UTIs, you are maiming TWICE that many from botched circumcisions...!

Circumcision Risks in Infants

• Prayers
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Nope. Not good enough reason. And let's not be coy. The vast majority of both male and female genital mutilations are performed with NO thought to prevent disease or infirmity...

Oh, and you might want to check on the complication rate from circumcision...while you're saving 1 in a 1000 from UTIs, you are maiming TWICE that many from botched circumcisions...!

Circumcision Risks in Infants

Hello.

Fair enough. Just to let you im still alive and everything works well.

Heads up little iconoclast is not wounded or injured so that part of the body is permanently damaged.

Neither has it had an infliction of serious damage ie mutilation.

In fact i prefer the cosmetic look. I saw my friend once and it looked like a burnt sausage :)

Not to offend the un circumcised.

Ps

I have NO issue wirh ppl who arent circumcised. Its not salvation read paul.

• Prayers
Upvote 0