Encumbrance

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
The Holy Spirit revealed something to me this morning. I've been reading Hebrews 12:1 wrong!

The verse reads: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..."

I've always morphed encumbrance and sin together. As if encumbrance = sin. But that's not what the verse says! It says encumbrance AND sin, two different things.

Encumbrances aren't sin, in fact they are likely things we consider good and acceptable to do. Those things Paul refers to as lawful, but not helpful. If an action or activity or attitude is slowing us down, distracting us, from reaching our ultimate purpose in following Yeshua. It is an encumbrance and should be laid aside.
Now I'm asking the Holy Spirit to reveal every encumbrance in my life so that I might lay it aside. I don't need anything slowing me down for the race set before me.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Encumbrances aren't sin, in fact they are likely things we consider good and acceptable to do. Those things Paul refers to as lawful, but not helpful.
The vanities of worldly preoccupation.
Psalm 127:
Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep.

Ecclesiastes 1:14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

I believe Paul is dealing with this, as a mutual
concern among the saints.
Galatians 6:
1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

5 For every man shall bear his own burden.

6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Upvote 0