• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Encounter With Police Drains Me

JNathanK

Jan 8, 2012
✟15,209.00
Faith
Christian
I got a ticket for going through a stop sign. I was certain I stopped, but after pressing the cop, he said I slowly creeped through the stop sign without coming to a complete stop. It was late at night, no one was on the road at all. The traffic was completely empty, it was a 15mph street, and it felt like getting a ticket for sneezing or something. Its an easy tactic for a cop wanting to make end of the year quotas, but its at my expense. The officer also searched my car and kept asking me why my eyes were red and shined a flash light in my face to see if my pupils were normal. The only thing I had to drink was chamomile tea an hour before, and I was tired.

Anyway, the whole experience just left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I intentionally take on beta male traits to avoid escalated tension with a police officer. Would I like to tell the cop off? yes! The reason I don't is that I don't want increased penalties tacked on and a local cop to have a grudge against me. Also, they have guns, and tazers, and mace which I really don't want used on me. I intentionally act cooperative and lower my gaze as not to seem threatening. However there's this foul taste that's left with me weeks after where i feel angry and resentful, not to mention having to pay the ticket. I hate that I have to give someone respect out of fear. Plus the cop came off as arrogant. Its really frustrating. Plus I have long hair, and I think I was stopped, in part, because I fit the stereotype or profile of someone who might have something on their person that could lead to a more severe arrest.

Anyway, my reason for sharing this is to figure out how people deal with the cognitive dissonance of this type of situation. It leaves me really drained when I have to submit to authority for basic self preservation, when another side of me wants to lash out. I got what I wanted, rationally, and that's not getting beaten up by police. I just want to find out how to deal with that terrible aftertaste so I make sure to have the capacity to do this again if I have to. This is why I try to avoid the police as much as possible. Cop magnets irritate me as well. There's this house on my home street, near where I was pulled over, that I see cop cars parked by constantly. If it wasn't for my neighbors reckless behavior and them always breaking the law, then I probably wouldn't have even gotten ticketed in the first place. Its very frustrating. I've actually seen cops shining a flashlight in my backyard and in nearby backyards, looking for someone and taking the opportunity to see what my corn plants were all about. :sigh:

Last edited: