• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dianna_Child of God

He is my All in All
Sep 8, 2011
✟17,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone done EMRD therapy? EMDR Therapy - Is EMDR Therapy an Effective Treatment

My therapist has been taking training classes and uses it for most of her BPD patients. I am nervous about this. I have never really dug into my past, the tragic events. We are to start with happy memories then dig into the past. She said things could get worse when dealing with those before it gets better. We have to set up an extensive coping list, from actives, safe places to go so I don't harm myself, support people, religious support and so on.

I am so scared to dig into those issues that caused BPD. I feel like telling her that I can't do this.

E

Everlasting33

I have done EMRD. My therapist and I worked on it for quite a while. There were mixed feelings about it. For instance, we went over a situation that kept coming back with the same feelings. My therapist seems a little discouraged but we went back further in my past. I dealt with an incident with my mother and it certainly did help to go over it again and again. Overall, I found it effective in conjuction with inner child therapy.

Like you have suspected, the work can be very emotionally difficult and I also found myself not wanting to do it. But, remember that is what you are there for...to find healing. Think about your life without it ever changing. And, then think of your life when you choose healing.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It can be frightening to look at our pasts, and there is the definite possibility of decompensating back to our negative behaviors. I have had such periods in the past 22 years of therapy, the worst being a two year relapse into my alcoholism. But, if your therapist is good, she will be able to help you learn from such a relapse and grow stronger.

The other thing to remember is that you are not venturing into the past alonge. Christ is with you throughout your therapy sessions. Psalm 139 reminds me of that.

Finally, if you are a child of God's, you can do this. Scriptures like, "I can do all things through Christ who give me strength" and "With God, all things are possible" come to mind.

If you find this form of therapy overwhelming, it might be best to seek Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I have had an excellent therapist who has done this form of therapy with me for a very long time. In CBT, the therapist helps a person examine the past traumas and experiences, not to feel the feelings over again, but to learn the root of the patient's thinking. Using these experiences as a base, the therapist then challenges the patient's thinking, working toward a more healthy way of seeing the past, and learning how to change the patient's behavior as a result.

Upvote 0

Dianna_Child of God

He is my All in All
Sep 8, 2011
✟17,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did tell my therapist last Tuesday that I am really worried about the self-harm getting out of control again. My home is not a safe place for me because it can be done here. With the boys I don't have the opportunity at anytime to go somewhere that is safe, like church.
We were doing DBT and not really getting anywhere.
What is the difference between DBT and CBT?
I am so thankful God is with me. I know right now with as stressed as I am, if he was not, I would be giving into the things that hurt me.

Upvote 0