Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand and share the feelings of other singles in regards to their circumstances, but only to certain points. I refuse to coddle people in their self-pity, however. God said singleness is a gift. If they are refusing to unwrap it and use it for their good and His glory then that's on them.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As a single man, I sometimes feel "othered" in Christian circles, but I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to a lack of empathy on their part. I mean, if I had married in my early 20s, how well would I understand my current situation? I suppose it works both ways.

ME_107.png

Upvote 0

SleepingAtLast

Dec 11, 2018
Here
✟26,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Singleness in the church is kind of an awkward conundrum. On one hand it's nice to have community as a person who isn't married and desires companionship, but at the same time it's kind of weird to have 'Singles groups' where basically the reason we are all together is because we are single. Rather than setting up programs for single people, the most helpful things are more grassroots. Just having Bible studies available to attend is very helpful, and my church has that, but it also makes a huge difference when married people will go out of their way to befriend single people and even involve them in their own family's life. A few people at my church have done that, and it makes a big difference.

As far as the marriage side of things, I think it is good for the church to offer resources or discipleship to help single people be prepared for marriage, but it bothers me when marriage is constantly held up as the place we should all be aiming to get to. It can feel at times like our lives have not reached maximum fulfillment potential until we get married, but yet we are supposed to be content where we are at. My church has a pretty good balance with that. The only thing that can sting from time to time is that they will announce in the bulletin, and up front, that so-and-so has just gotten engaged/married or that so-and-so just had a baby. Of course we should celebrate that, but it can sting a little at times not being in that place and wanting to be, and knowing that I will never have a reason to be mentioned in the bulletin or up front as a single person unless I am sick or moving away.

Upvote 0