Empath's, Schizophrenic's, Projecting, abilities and/or disorders of the mind, how it relates to....

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Empath's, Schizophrenic's, Projecting, abilities and/or disorders of the mind, how it relates to spirituality...?

So, I was having a conversation with someone and tried to explain why I didn't want to watch any T.V. (I am diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic) (but have heard some of what I do with that (disorder) is also related to being spiritually empathic in nature...

Empath's can sense the feelings and pain of others and as if it them feeling it, putting yourself in someone else's shoes, so to speak, new age philosophy calls this projecting, talks about our energy and chakra's, that kind of thing...

I tried to explain and said we could listen to music, cause it has limited amount of perspectives and if I project myself or others in them or it, that I thought I could handle that right now... She looked confused and so I said, when we listen to things or see things, do you ever put yourself or other people or characters in places or the shoes of what your being exposed to...?

Cause I told her that I thought almost everyone did it, to a lesser or greater degree, most, just are not "aware" or conscious of doing it... And, I said, I am... And I don't like it anymore... and don't want to do it and my will fights and struggles with not doing it...

It's not fun for me, and when I do it, I become aware of being watched doing it and the one(s) watching me doing it...

For me it goes beyond people, it can be animals, and even things, like cars or anything that could be an "extension of (your) self"... But, anyway, I'm a Christian and while most people project only themselves only sometimes or others that they know only sometimes and are not aware of it, I do it all the time, with myself, others, people I know, and it extends beyond just people to things, and I am "aware" of it, and don't like that I do it, but cannot seem to control it a lot of the time...

Anyhow, Empath's, schizophrenics and others project or put themselves and maybe others that they know, in the places of other people or characters in media, heck, even books, even peoples conversations, anything their exposed to they can do this....

You do feel what they feel, and that does help you see things from their perspective, and spurns emapthy, but when your like me and your running so very many different perspectives all the time, it's overload...

This is why I have to be alone a lot, or have my alone time, quiet time, nothing going, except maybe music sometimes, but T.V. is especially difficult sometimes... They say your an empath if you feel what others feel a lot, and I think they're projecting too... Some say it is tied to ego and pride as well, though I don't know if that is true in all cases, maybe some, but not ones like mine...

I'm a Christian, and when I do this, when I project, I do it with myself, and others, people that I know, but, I also do it with Characters like Jesus and the Devil or Satan, good and bad spirits, I put them in the places of stuff I am exposed to sometimes, to consider the line of thought, determine if it's true or not and learn from it if I can...

I feel like they all watch when I do as well, especially when it's with them, but also, when it is not...

I hear voices on top of this as well sometimes, which is where the line from it being empathic to being schizophrenic it drawn, I think...

Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes I put Biblical Characters I know in modern day tales that I'm exposed to, or put modern day Characters or people that I am exposed to in Biblical tales/stories as well...

I can watch or listen to the same thing multiple times and see something new in it almost everytime, something I didn't see before, but, it's still hell...

It started out as a way of my looking, searching, seeking, but now, it's gotten out of control to the point that I just do not watch T.V. much anymore...

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Empath's, Schizophrenic's, Projecting, abilities and/or disorders of the mind, how it relates to spirituality...?

So, I was having a conversation with someone and tried to explain why I didn't want to watch any T.V. (I am diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic) (but have heard some of what I do with that (disorder) is also related to being spiritually empathic in nature...

Empath's can sense the feelings and pain of others and as if it them feeling it, putting yourself in someone else's shoes, so to speak, new age philosophy calls this projecting, talks about our energy and chakra's, that kind of thing...

I tried to explain and said we could listen to music, cause it has limited amount of perspectives and if I project myself or others in them or it, that I thought I could handle that right now... She looked confused and so I said, when we listen to things or see things, do you ever put yourself or other people or characters in places or the shoes of what your being exposed to...?

Cause I told her that I thought almost everyone did it, to a lesser or greater degree, most, just are not "aware" or conscious of doing it... And, I said, I am... And I don't like it anymore... and don't want to do it and my will fights and struggles with not doing it...

It's not fun for me, and when I do it, I become aware of being watched doing it and the one(s) watching me doing it...

For me it goes beyond people, it can be animals, and even things, like cars or anything that could be an "extension of (your) self"... But, anyway, I'm a Christian and while most people project only themselves only sometimes or others that they know only sometimes and are not aware of it, I do it all the time, with myself, others, people I know, and it extends beyond just people to things, and I am "aware" of it, and don't like that I do it, but cannot seem to control it a lot of the time...

Anyhow, Empath's, schizophrenics and others project or put themselves and maybe others that they know, in the places of other people or characters in media, heck, even books, even peoples conversations, anything their exposed to they can do this....

You do feel what they feel, and that does help you see things from their perspective, and spurns emapthy, but when your like me and your running so very many different perspectives all the time, it's overload...

This is why I have to be alone a lot, or have my alone time, quiet time, nothing going, except maybe music sometimes, but T.V. is especially difficult sometimes... They say your an empath if you feel what others feel a lot, and I think they're projecting too... Some say it is tied to ego and pride as well, though I don't know if that is true in all cases, maybe some, but not ones like mine...

I'm a Christian, and when I do this, when I project, I do it with myself, and others, people that I know, but, I also do it with Characters like Jesus and the Devil or Satan, good and bad spirits, I put them in the places of stuff I am exposed to sometimes, to consider the line of thought, determine if it's true or not and learn from it if I can...

I feel like they all watch when I do as well, especially when it's with them, but also, when it is not...

I hear voices on top of this as well sometimes, which is where the line from it being empathic to being schizophrenic it drawn, I think...

Peace,

God Bless!

Best forget what fancy names people give for things.

I can feel someones pain, not because I put myself in their shoes, it just is so, I never asked for it, it just is.

Best keep under your hat that which cannot be explained.

People are forever inventing names for all sorts of things
because it gives the impression they know what they are talking about.

A story from the Life of the Rebbe,

A Young Jewish girl was at risk of giving up on Life,
the Rebbe engaged someone on the case and told him it could take as long time as was needed,

after long correpondence the Rebbe wrote her and said,

"I too feel your pain."

The girl wrote back,
"How can you feel my pain, you are not me?"

The Rebbe wrote in reply,

"As a mother feels the pain when her Child is teething,
so I feel your pain."

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you find that when you pray, it lifts you out of the grip of the external empathy, because your mind is concentrating on God?
Well, when I pray, I project Christ just above me, and I can hear his voice in me, from above me...

Problem is, he's not the only one sometimes, From (when he shows up) from afar off, approaching and from the sides, getting into about ten yards away, on an equal level with me, is another, darker one, (sometimes, but not always), that is not very nice at all...

Nowadays though, he usually gets sent packing at some point, and it's just me and the Lord (again)...

But, I still project when I pray or communicate with God...

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, when I pray, I project Christ just above me, and I can hear his voice in me, from above me...

Problem is, he's not the only one sometimes, From (when he shows up) from afar off, approaching and from the sides, getting into about ten yards away, on an equal level with me, is another, darker one, (sometimes, but not always), that is not very nice at all...

Nowadays though, he usually gets sent packing at some point, and it's just me and the Lord (again)...

But, I still project when I pray or communicate with God...
That sounds ok, like it shouldn't be a concern. I was wondering if it might help you to be more comfortable in those uncomfortable times when you are engaging with the outside world .. if you can take your focus off that thing or one that you are empathising with, and give your attention to The Lord.. I wonder if that would help?

Do you remember when you were a child (as I do), that there was this voice going on inside, as though I was talking to myself? When you look at the way children are thinking, it's quite clear they have this inner dialogue going on, and I understand it to be the Spirit of God counselling them. If they get that spirit knocked out of them by a trauma, then they pout and get all worked up and unhappy until someone can come along with a kind word of love and heal their mind.

I notice that as adults, we have anxieties that contest for our mind and these things just do not go away so easily, whereas children don't have those anxieties because they never have to worry about planning and survival. This seems to fit with what St. Paul was saying: "pray without ceasing". Maybe that's an idea to try out :)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That sounds ok, like it shouldn't be a concern. I was wondering if it might help you to be more comfortable in those uncomfortable times when you are engaging with the outside world .. if you can take your focus off that thing or one that you are empathising with, and give your attention to The Lord.. I wonder if that would help?

Do you remember when you were a child (as I do), that there was this voice going on inside, as though I was talking to myself? When you look at the way children are thinking, it's quite clear they have this inner dialogue going on, and I understand it to be the Spirit of God counselling them. If they get that spirit knocked out of them by a trauma, then they pout and get all worked up and unhappy until someone can come along with a kind word of love and heal their mind.

I notice that as adults, we have anxieties that contest for our mind and these things just do not go away so easily, whereas children don't have those anxieties because they never have to worry about planning and survival. This seems to fit with what St. Paul was saying: "pray without ceasing". Maybe that's an idea to try out :)
I am trying to keep my thoughts and focus on the Lord now, and just having awareness of the Lord's presence with me everywhere and at all times and it is helping, but I do get easily distracted... And, yes, that voice or inner dialogue that we have as a child, is just like the Lord's voice is to me... I have no childhood or teenage trauma, I actually had it pretty good as a child, this stuff didn't develop till I was 30 years old (I'm 38 now)...

I use to not know this was what I was doing, but, I do now, and that is helping some as well...

It was way more hellish when I did not know what was going on, and I hadn't discovered a "method to my madness" so to speak, I am working on it now, with the Lords help and it is helping...

Thank You!

God Bless!

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you think triggered the voices starting aged 30? Something's happened to create the imbalance in your brain. With some people it's experimentation with drink and drugs, often mixing the two.
A job I was on, at a mentally disabled home working graveyard, I worked with these Wiccans who knew I was a Christian, and they started messing with me, I think anyway, I'm still not sure, and the unsureness of it all caused out of control paranoia, causing great fear, but that's where it started, and when I started thinking the T.V. was talking to me and the feeling of being watched, led to voices, and it was all so scary that I was paralyzed with fear and couldn't function, I got fired, saw a counselor, told her what was going on, got diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, wound up in a mental ward for a little while for a time shortly after that, got on disability, and my life was forever changed from that point onward, to now...

• Prayers
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I wanted to post this before going to bed and check it tomorrow, so, I think I'm gonna do that cause I gotta get some sleep, I'll check this tomorrow,

Goodnight and thanks all,

God Bless!

Good night then mate.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes I put Biblical Characters I know in modern day tales that I'm exposed to, or put modern day Characters or people that I am exposed to in Biblical tales/stories as well...

Not exactly sure what you're talking about in the OP but based on the prolific fanart and fanfiction on the Internet, I'd say such crossovers are a very normal thing. I've commissioned artists to cross Plucky Duck with Pokemon, Attack on Titan, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, The Lord of the Rings, Aliens, Legend of Kora, and Les Miserables. It's a way of keeping beloved characters relevant when they are otherwise out of production.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Not exactly sure what you're talking about in the OP but based on the prolific fanart and fanfiction on the Internet, I'd say such crossovers are a very normal thing. I've commissioned artists to cross Plucky Duck with Pokemon, Attack on Titan, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, The Lord of the Rings, Aliens, Legend of Kora, and Les Miserables. It's a way of keeping beloved characters relevant when they are otherwise out of production.

Crossover art is amazing. I've seen the Legend of Korra commission you posted on Twitter and it was top notch. The internet is a great place for connecting and inspiring artists to do work. I love buying commissions.

To OP, I agree with awitch about this little blurb. You might as well write Biblical characters into modern work. There's no reason you can't and it does help improve the understanding of them. You see this a lot with paganism (Yeah, I just read Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" recently) so why not Christianity? I think its a good idea.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,332.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea if this relates to you or not, but Mystics will put their awareness into other forms. So for instance, a cat or dog or insect crawling across the floor. They will also put their awareness into beings who have died in order to get another perspective. It has to do with the reach of consciousness and what is the real "I".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Crossover art is amazing. I've seen the Legend of Korra commission you posted on Twitter and it was top notch. The internet is a great place for connecting and inspiring artists to do work. I love buying commissions.

I think half of my followers and people I follow are artists and they are all so amazing. I watch their speed-draw videos and still can't figure out how they art.

To OP, I agree with awitch about this little blurb. You might as well write Biblical characters into modern work. There's no reason you can't and it does help improve the understanding of them. You see this a lot with paganism (Yeah, I just read Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" recently) so why not Christianity? I think its a good idea.

I think that's an awesome idea, but I think Christians frown on taking creative liberty with the Biblical stories. I had story idea set in the Diablo video game universe about an angel and a demon who are secretly in love as the two are expected to wage spiritual war against each other. They each get to see heaven and hell and become disenfranchised with both sides.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I think half of my followers and people I follow are artists and they are all so amazing. I watch their speed-draw videos and still can't figure out how they art.

I think that's an awesome idea, but I think Christians frown on taking creative liberty with the Biblical stories. I had story idea set in the Diablo video game universe about an angel and a demon who are secretly in love as the two are expected to wage spiritual war against each other. They each get to see heaven and hell and become disenfranchised with both sides.

My Twitter is mostly hackery types and programmers (Twitter is moving full speed with Defcon stuff this week) but I've started adding more artists too. I've followed a decent number on Tumblr and DeviantArt since my Twitter feed is often really seriously geared towards one subject. I love watching speed draws, fan art, crossover work that I didn't know I needed in my life and anthromorphs of deities/spirits/ideas.

Yeah, its unfortunate too since there is so much great material. Frankly, Christian cosmology alone makes for a phenomenal setting, especially if you use writings like Dante's Divine Comedy as a base and then extrapolate from there. In fact, the elaborate nature of Angelology/Demonology in occult works like the Goetia and the Greater Key of Solomon is what turned me on to Christian cosmology as a fantastic setting. I like your story idea.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Re-posting...
You seem to be describing in the OP what some would call a "spiritual connection" with those people.

I have noticed that TV and radio presenters seem to have effective spirits whose words have a divine ability to speak to the heart. Yet, The Holy Spirit can speak through anyone if He so desires, because He is interested in all of us.

The Spirit recently spoke to someone in my presence (where it had the opportunity to), as a teacher, counselling this one who had received a conviction in his conscience for making a visible error. His message to him was that his spiritual awareness manifests because of judgement and guilt (consider how these elements become present with righteous company, an insight expressed in Proverbs 9:10b).

Spirits speak to our conscience through words that facilitate their objective (hence that those who aren't comfortable with The Word of God will harden their hearts to block it's conviction, as Matthew 13:9-16 describes). Where the TV is speaking to you, it is because that particular spirit has an opportunity through your memory of an event or a present circumstance that empowers it to leverage your anxiety, fear etc. In other words you are reading something into it that the TV show did not put into it. It appears to be a Paranoid Schizophrenia to those who do not regard spirituality as reality, but for those who do choose to pursue the knowledge of spirituality, we learn how this ancient, enduring knowledge has a real power (and interest) to influence the world.

The Holy Spirit doesn't gratify Himself by condemning us as other spirits seem to do, and that is one of the distinct characteristics that we can use when identifying His voice - it isn't the timbre of the voice nor the personality of the speaker whom we recognise to be The Holy Spirit ("the wind blows where it wills").

Conversely, when we are aware of a spiritual connection with another person, as you have called "empathy", it is because we become aware of a particular insecurity in that one, and through a mutual knowledge of that insecurity, we resonate in spirit with them while they are convicted by our awareness of their insecurity. It can be disconcerting, but if we are able to remove our self-interested desires (that causes judgementalism, condescension, condemnation), to think in love, then our spirit is holy (being devoid of sin) and the presence of The Holy Spirit effectively administered through us is useful for Him to heal that one's insecurity. Sometimes they are healed in our presence, other times He will use the memory of our holy conduct to heal that one at a later time. (Some people's psychological problems are very complex and cannot be fixed in a single session, but over the course of seeds sown). Tragically, not all people will receive the healing that He is bestowing to them (John 8:23-24, Genesis 6:3).

Also, because this is a matter of changing a person's mind to relieve them of their insecurity, our words and actions are a vital communication to either reinforce or tear down that insecurity in them. So it is important to not apply personal judgements to our regard for them that makes them perceive we believe we are superior (for example, we might be tempted to look down on someone who is a drunkard or adulterer or whatever sin happens to be gripping them that causes us to be personally grieved). This is important because we attain God's righteousness by being humble to repent, and it is therefore necessary for a sinner to be humbled by the one who is already more humble than they are, before they can repent. This empowers their pride in opposition and is a most serious risk to those who cannot repent at our word of truth. It is sufficient that their conscience convicts them in the presence of our righteousness, and the only thing that we can do to help them, is genuinely supportive encouragement: repent and follow what The Holy Spirit is telling you!

Where this empathetic ministry is difficult to table in plain sight (for instance, the promiscuity of an adulterer having eyes for us), it might not be possible to speak the words to full effect without drawing unwelcome attention. In those cases, The Holy Spirit might manifest through other available means - the words of others or TV, etc, where their recognition of our holy character seeks confirmation from us whether they are receiving trustworthy ministry (consider Romans 10:14, Matthew 24:10-12, John 13:35, John 14:9, John 1:12, 1 John 4:1).

Mainly, the reason we experience it so frequently is because we have righteousness that convicts the sinner in our presence, and in that conviction is an opportunity for their repentance or condemnation (Matthew 13:12, John 3:19-21).

I hope you will find this useful! .. if it isn't exactly what you need, then could you explain a bit more why you are feeling concerned about it again today? Are you struggling against some sort of perceived assault, harassment, bullying in a spiritual realm that has potential to impact your lifestyle like you have described of a past attack in post #9?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Interesting thread, especially considering I use empathy terminology to explain and digest the spirituality I had when I was a theist. Not sure how I overlooked this thread..

I consider myself to be a pretty intense empath (not in the paranormal sense, although when I was a theist I guess I might have said so lol). Sadly right now my brain is sick with depression and as a result I'm pretty numb/low on empathy.

Yeah. Ever since I was a kid I have been pretty sensitive empathetically towards what others feel. With a catch that my emotional empathy was strictly s/m *sadomasochistic* in nature. Which means while I could feel others pain, it is mixed with positive and negative emotions.

Which one could argue is a false sense of empathy. Since someone might actually be only feeling negative emotions, my mind can't help but imagine them feeling a mix of positive and negative emotions regardless. Although you can turn this problem on it's head and make a claim that non-s/m empaths are in error when they try to be empathetic towards s/m people. The bottom line though is, the brain is going through the process of emotional empathy regardless of whether or not it's accurate in reality. Empathy isn't mind reading powers, lol.

On the opposite side of that, I'm pretty much a psychopath when it comes to feeling non-s/m empathy. When someone is feeling strictly happy, I feel nothing. When someone loves me with absolutely no suffering context involved, I feel nothing lol. This is a major reason I had such a hard time relating to people on a spiritual level as a Christian. For many it seems like spirituality mostly consists of non-suffering context love. My mind simply cannot comprehend that state emotionally. Asking me to engage in such empathetic spirituality is like asking me to eat tasteless food for the rest of my life.. "no thank you." lol.

Yes I do this all the time. Music becomes more and more emotionally powerful the more you put empathy into it. Sadly with my current struggles with depression, music is pretty bland right now. Almost like when someone tries to enjoy food while having a cold. Without empathy, spirituality (from secular sources of theistic ones) is pretty much dead.

Considering humans are by and large a social species, everyone does it to some extent. Just that extreme empaths often can't help but be more aware of the process. ;)

Sorry to hear about that. Not sure if I've ever had that problem.

Yes, the high emotional empathetic energy can be both a blessing and a curse. I went through horrible chemical withdrawal symptoms as a result when I became a non-theist. I certainly paid for being in emotional bliss all those years.

I've suffered through extreme social anxiety all of my life. And I have to say it's probably a result of being extremely empathetic. People's sense of being can be very overloading for me, and it can quickly scare me away.

Interesting perspective. I've never really contemplated empathy mixed with schizophrenia before. I can see the added complications it can bring. Sorry to hear about that.

Peace,

I hope I do, personally I feel I do. Lol.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Is it an ability or disability...?

In the case of the blind man, who came back seeing men as trees and had to healed twice, i think Jesus decided to do that on purpose maybe, cause he asks him it think also on purpose, if he could see as he ought (to)... Not if he was still blind, that he left up to him to decide, and I think, to us as well... (Mark 8:22-26)

That kind of sight, that certain perception from a certain perspective, is it linked with this that I am talking about...?

Upvote 0