Marital Status
Single
What is it to be emotionally balanced
Often times I see that people make mistakes because of there emotions
People get angry and do foolish things
Make stupid decisions in the long run
It seems to me the Society of set the standard
That it everyone out for themselves
That often times we say things to people with the intentions to have them make poor decisions
Hindering them instead of giving them a helping hand
Do you think this to be true?
And if so are we really backwards in the way we think?

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Passions and prejudices can easily overcome logic and reason. That's why it's so important to be led by the Holy Spirit and always be full of grace (Romans 8:6, Galatians 5:22, Colossians 4:6). Sometimes, even I struggle with such issues. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟47,420.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That often times we say things to people with the intentions to have them make poor decisions
To me emotions are not bad at all, but it´s the way we handle them, emotions are not the problem, our ego is. We put ourselves first in most of the things we do. If we learned to put ouselves aside, our emotions would be better balanced.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

There is no doubt that humans frequently deal with their emotions in an unhealthy manner. While emotions are personal, a society can have a lot to say in the way individuals are allowed to express their emotions.

In today's American society, it seems that there is a decided relaxation of society's role in containing negative emotions. As with all societies what people find acceptable to express in public is largely regulated from the top down. IOWs, the leaders in the society set the standard for what is acceptable behavior.

Are we backwards in what we think??? It depends on which standard of behavior we wish to emulate. If we want to emulate an authoritarian tribal behavior in which the tribe is the only acceptable way to live, then no, we are not backwards. Tribal behavior is marked by demonizing and reducing the humanity of non-tribe members. This is necessary for tribal survival. Gangs, criminal organizations, religions and nations are examples of tribal behavior.

OTOH, if we want to emulate spiritual teachers such as Jesus of Nazareth, then yes, we are backwards in how our society is composed. Our economic system is based on one of the commonly accepted seven deadly sins...Greed. Our leadership has long promoted wars, corruption of democratic elections around the world, clandestined assassinations, theft of natural resources around the world, and promotion of racism domestically as well as internationally.

Ours is hardly representative of a spiritual teacher such as Jesus. If a society provides the main control over personal emotions, then the expressions of personal emotion spreading around the nation indicates the total failure of our society to be what we proclaim it to be...a Christian nation.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Tons of variables in play here, that impact each person in a unique way.

-the environment we grow up in
-peer pressure
-individual psychological needs (which can change over time)
-how our brains are wired

And I could go on.

Upvote 0