South Carolina
✟448,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been there, done that. 20 years ago. Similar story to yours. He forgave you - accept his grace to you, don't let the guilt hinder you, and use this experience to learn how to build boundaries that will keep it from happening again.

For what it's worth, 20 years later my wife and I have the best marriage. Lots of love and trust and emotional intimacy and physical intimacy. I would never say what happened was good for our marriage, but how we (and largely I) dealt with my failing was good for our marriage.

Prayers for you.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The guilt is really hard on me, and I am so disappointed in myself for allowing this to happen and even starting down a path that could jeopardize my family and marriage.

It is understandable that you are struggling with guilt. But resist the temptation to work out that guilt by telling him more than he wants to know.

From everything you have said these seem unlikely but I will just list them in case:

a. Did you want your husband to respond more to in some way show he cares?
b. Do you think there is something more to his response?
c. Do you still have not only guilt but feelings for this other person?

Has your relationship generally improved since talking to him about it?

As to guilt, the purpose of it is repentance.

2 Cor. 7:9 As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. 10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.

If you have repented and are now rebuilding your relationship with your husband then the guilt has served its purpose. Acknowledge it and move on realizing that God has something better than continual guilt planned for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0