Elon Musk felt like he 'was dying' after 2nd COVID booster shot, cousin in 'peak health' suffered myocarditis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CDC says cases of myocarditis are 'rare risk' to those who receive mRNA COVID-19 vaccine

Elon Musk took to Twitter late Friday evening to share his personal experience with the second COVID booster shot, explaining he ran into "major side effects."

In a series of tweets, the Twitter CEO said he felt like he "was dying" and that a cousin of his in "peak health" suffered myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart which is listed as a possible side effect of some coronavirus vaccines.

"I had major side effects from my second booster shot. Felt like I was dying for several days. Hopefully, no permanent damage, but I dunno," Musk said in a tweet.

He added: "And my cousin, who is young & in peak health, had a serious case of myocarditis. Had to go to the hospital."

Continued below.

Reactions: jas3

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ah, yes...good ol' Dr. Elon Musk, MD is definitely the person whose subjective feelings about his own experiences I would use to guide my own approach to vaccination. He's not a living, breathing combination of the worst traits of the chronically-online with the lizard person anti-charisma of all of these 'tech-bro' types at all. No sir. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
People who have had or know of those who had C19 vaccine side effects should keep silent.
No. They should report the side effects to the appropriate medical authorities (i.e., not Twitter) so that they can know what is going on.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟580,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. They should report the side effects to the appropriate medical authorities (i.e., not Twitter) so that they can know what is going on.
Can't they do both?

What makes you think Musk didn't report the side effects to his doctor?

What I see is a mob mentality towards those who say anything against the C19 vaccine. That's how a lot of society has been conditioned to react.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Can't they do both?
In the sense that he's free to publish whatever lunacy he deems fit on his own platform, sure. I would maintain that doing so is irresponsible, but he certainly can do both.
What makes you think Musk didn't report the side effects to his doctor?
What I was responding to was this: "People who have had or know of those who had C19 vaccine side effects should keep silent." That's not true. Anyone and everyone should follow up with the doctor after receiving vaccinations, especially if they suspect any kind of side-effects to be causing them harm. After I got my vaccine shots, I downloaded the app on my phone that involved weekly check-ins to make sure everything was going fine. These didn't stop until a few months ago, if I recall correctly, though they did decrease in frequency. In the beginning they were weekly; by the end they were one every few months.

There are plenty of ways to make sure that the appropriate medical authorities who actually need to know in order to treat you are informed as to what is going on with you, whether it involves vaccines or not. Running to social media to 'warn' everyone about something you and a cousin think was caused by getting vaccinated is not one of those ways. The question is not who is doing it, but that it is apparently considered by some people to be appropriate to do in the first place. I mean, if I think I'm having heart problems, I'm going to the hospital to be seen by a professional cardiologist, not to Twitter to be seen by whoever happens to be on Twitter.

What I see is a mob mentality towards those who say anything against the C19 vaccine. That's how a lot of society has been conditioned to react.
Okay. Well, as long as we're discussing what we're seeing, what I'm seeing is a bunch of paranoid, anti-science weirdos who would rather believe in grand conspiracies of which there is absolutely zero evidence all because the latest supposed 'outsider' celebrity rich person who is conditioning them knows how to stir the pot for maximum social media impact. I do not see how that is any better than the situation you describe wherein people are supposedly being conditioned to not say anything against the C19 vaccine. In fact, it seems significantly worse to me. At least the dreaded Fauci, et al. are actual doctors. Who is Musk but some rich, tantrum-prone modern industrialist manchild? When was the last time he submitted anything to a peer-reviewed medical journal?

Donald Twain
Donald Twain
Peer reviewed medical journal, you say. Are these the same medical journals that published and then retracted, damage done, outright lies about how dangerous Covid was/is? Dude, the days of respected medical journals is over. Same wth doctors and nurses.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟580,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the sense that he's free to publish whatever lunacy he deems fit on his own platform, sure. I would maintain that doing so is irresponsible, but he certainly can do both.
It's lunacy to report ones side effects and those of a relative?
What I was responding to was this: "People who have had or know of those who had C19 vaccine side effects should keep silent." That's not true. Anyone and everyone should follow up with the doctor after receiving vaccinations, especially if they suspect any kind of side-effects to be causing them harm. After I got my vaccine shots, I downloaded the app on my phone that involved weekly check-ins to make sure everything was going fine. These didn't stop until a few months ago, if I recall correctly, though they did decrease in frequency. In the beginning they were weekly; by the end they were one every few months.

There are plenty of ways to make sure that the appropriate medical authorities who actually need to know in order to treat you are informed as to what is going on with you, whether it involves vaccines or not. Running to social media to 'warn' everyone about something you and a cousin think was caused by getting vaccinated is not one of those ways. The question is not who is doing it, but that it is apparently considered by some people to be appropriate to do in the first place. I mean, if I think I'm having heart problems, I'm going to the hospital to be seen by a professional cardiologist, not to Twitter to be seen by whoever happens to be on Twitter.
I meant it seems many would prefer that people don't go public regarding C19 vaccine side effects they've had or a relative or friend has had. That's what I meant by keeping it quiet.
Okay. Well, as long as we're discussing what we're seeing, what I'm seeing is a bunch of paranoid, anti-science weirdos who would rather believe in grand conspiracies of which there is absolutely zero evidence all because the latest supposed 'outsider' celebrity rich person who is conditioning them knows how to stir the pot for maximum social media impact. I do not see how that is any better than the situation you describe wherein people are supposedly being conditioned to not say anything against the C19 vaccine. In fact, it seems significantly worse to me. At least the dreaded Fauci, et al. are actual doctors. Who is Musk but some rich, tantrum-prone modern industrialist manchild? When was the last time he submitted anything to a peer-reviewed medical journal?
"I'm seeing is a bunch of paranoid, anti-science weirdos" - That was my point. You seem outraged over someone making it publically known they had and their relative had bad side effects.
History is replete with scientific blunders that have caused a lot of harm. Can you say with absolute certainty that the C19 vaccine isn't causing serious side effects? That since the vaccine was developed at "warp speed" there are possible adversities that can only be discovered over the course of time?

Reactions: Donald Twain
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's lunacy to report ones side effects and those of a relative?
It's lunacy to present your own subjective experience to an uninformed public full of vaccine skeptics who are looking to latch on to things like this as though this justifies their skepticism. If I have a bad but statistically-insignificant experience with a particular dentist, my impulse is not to caution others that such a thing could happen to them, because even though it could, I have enough self-awareness and general care for society to know that it's a net negative to give people reason to fear the dentist more than they already do, especially because of something anomalous that happened to me. I hope the parallel is obvious enough.

"I'm seeing is a bunch of paranoid, anti-science weirdos" - That was my point. You seem outraged over someone making it publically known they had and their relative had bad side effects.
Nope. I'm not outraged over anything. I do wish my fellow Americans and others would take a statistics class or two to learn about probability and how to responsibly handle and extrapolate from available data, but barring that, I would settle for just not having to read this ignorance dressed up as bold truth-telling here on CF in particular. But that's not going to happen either, so decide which you want: the ability to freely push science denial in the form of vaccine skepticism, or the privilege of never having to share a thread with someone who disagrees with you. Obviously, we can't have both.

I think it's a lot easier to assume that there's a lot of outrage coming from the anti-conspiracy side of this issue that shouldn't even have sides because obviously if there's one group of people who think they've stumbled upon some obscured 'truth' regarding why all this is really happening or whatever, and another that tells that group that that's tinfoil hattery, it feeds into a somewhat natural in-group/out-group dynamic whereby those who are going against 'the official narrative' (i.e., recommendations that you get the vaccines, wash your hands, wear masks, don't cough into each others' mouths, etc.) feel themselves silenced or oppressed or whatever, and it's a lot easier to imagine that happening when the larger group is actively angry at you for just trying to talk about this (!), rather than the reality that most people are tired of conspiracies and tantrums about "mah riiiights!" to go to Walmart without a mask at the height of lockdown, and all the other nonsense that we've seen infect society like its own type of virus over the past four years or so, and just want everyone to take the actual virus which is known to have killed several million people around the world so far as seriously as they apparently take Elon Musk's Twitter self-reporting of his own adverse reaction to the vaccine.

If anything is a cause for outrage, it's that the implication that 1,099,866 deaths in the USA alone is somehow of secondary importance to discussion/publicity of alleged Covid vaccine-related deaths, of which there have been reported to VAERS (which keep in mind is a self-reporting tool, so in that way is actually comparable to Musk's tweeting) only 18,649 in the period from December 14, 2020 to January 11, 2023. When stacked up against the fact that over 600 million Covid vaccines were administered in that time, the percentage of deaths reported to VAERS is actually much, much lower than the overall death rate from Covid -- 0.0028% vs. 1.1%, respectively. (VAERS data comes from the CDC; case-fatality ratio comes from the analysis done at Johns Hopkins.)

But since you brought up exactly this phrasing, I think everyone should be outraged that we're still discussing statistically insignificant self-reported events on top of a giant pile of elderly, immunocompromised, disabled, and/or conspiracy-ridden corpses. I'm just not. Not this many years on, anyway. Exasperated, concerned what this says about society, and overall wishing I'd never left the monastery back in 2014, sure, but not outraged.

History is replete with scientific blunders that have caused a lot of harm. Can you say with absolute certainty that the C19 vaccine isn't causing serious side effects? That since the vaccine was developed at "warp speed" there are possible adversities that can only be discovered over the course of time?

I know better than to say anything about fields outside of mine (or even within my own) with 'absolute certainty', but I will say that this does not appear to be the new Thalidomide, no. To say nothing of the marketing of it ('Warp Speed'...nevermind that scientists have been working on treatments for coronaviruses since long ago), I see nothing particularly out of the ordinary with regard to the administration of or risks associated with the vaccines available for Covid-19, at least not in the USA (like most people, I treat the various proclamations of breakthroughs of this or that type which were made early on in countries like Russia and Gambia with what I think most people would reason is a healthy dose of skepticism, considering their sources).

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟580,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's lunacy to present your own subjective experience to an uninformed public full of vaccine skeptics who are looking to latch on to things like this as though this justifies their skepticism. If I have a bad but statistically-insignificant experience with a particular dentist, my impulse is not to caution others that such a thing could happen to them, because even though it could, I have enough self-awareness and general care for society to know that it's a net negative to give people reason to fear the dentist more than they already do, especially because of something anomalous that happened to me. I hope the parallel is obvious enough.

Nope. I'm not outraged over anything. I do wish my fellow Americans and others would take a statistics class or two to learn about probability and how to responsibly handle and extrapolate from available data, but barring that, I would settle for just not having to read this ignorance dressed up as bold truth-telling here on CF in particular. But that's not going to happen either, so decide which you want: the ability to freely push science denial in the form of vaccine skepticism, or the privilege of never having to share a thread with someone who disagrees with you. Obviously, we can't have both.

I think it's a lot easier to assume that there's a lot of outrage coming from the anti-conspiracy side of this issue that shouldn't even have sides because obviously if there's one group of people who think they've stumbled upon some obscured 'truth' regarding why all this is really happening or whatever, and another that tells that group that that's tinfoil hattery, it feeds into a somewhat natural in-group/out-group dynamic whereby those who are going against 'the official narrative' (i.e., recommendations that you get the vaccines, wash your hands, wear masks, don't cough into each others' mouths, etc.) feel themselves silenced or oppressed or whatever, and it's a lot easier to imagine that happening when the larger group is actively angry at you for just trying to talk about this (!), rather than the reality that most people are tired of conspiracies and tantrums about "mah riiiights!" to go to Walmart without a mask at the height of lockdown, and all the other nonsense that we've seen infect society like its own type of virus over the past four years or so, and just want everyone to take the actual virus which is known to have killed several million people around the world so far as seriously as they apparently take Elon Musk's Twitter self-reporting of his own adverse reaction to the vaccine.

If anything is a cause for outrage, it's that the implication that 1,099,866 deaths in the USA alone is somehow of secondary importance to discussion/publicity of alleged Covid vaccine-related deaths, of which there have been reported to VAERS (which keep in mind is a self-reporting tool, so in that way is actually comparable to Musk's tweeting) only 18,649 in the period from December 14, 2020 to January 11, 2023. When stacked up against the fact that over 600 million Covid vaccines were administered in that time, the percentage of deaths reported to VAERS is actually much, much lower than the overall death rate from Covid -- 0.0028% vs. 1.1%, respectively. (VAERS data comes from the CDC; case-fatality ratio comes from the analysis done at Johns Hopkins.)

But since you brought up exactly this phrasing, I think everyone should be outraged that we're still discussing statistically insignificant self-reported events on top of a giant pile of elderly, immunocompromised, disabled, and/or conspiracy-ridden corpses. I'm just not. Not this many years on, anyway. Exasperated, concerned what this says about society, and overall wishing I'd never left the monastery back in 2014, sure, but not outraged.

I know better than to say anything about fields outside of mine (or even within my own) with 'absolute certainty', but I will say that this does not appear to be the new Thalidomide, no. To say nothing of the marketing of it ('Warp Speed'...nevermind that scientists have been working on treatments for coronaviruses since long ago), I see nothing particularly out of the ordinary with regard to the administration of or risks associated with the vaccines available for Covid-19, at least not in the USA (like most people, I treat the various proclamations of breakthroughs of this or that type which were made early on in countries like Russia and Gambia with what I think most people would reason is a healthy dose of skepticism, considering their sources).
I think anyone who's had adverse side effects from the C19 vaccine should post about on social media, so that people know what's going on. If only a tiny minority have had adverse side effects, then there's not going to be many to hear from. Then again, it looks like just one person talking about it publicly caused a lot of tantrum throwing.
As for deaths there are normally 2.5 million deaths per year in the US, and the majority of those deaths are basically due to old age. And the vast majority of those who died while infected with C19 were elderly. Which seems it's a good possibility that there's more correlation than causation involved.

However all of this is pretty much moot. The mask routine is over. The rush to get people vaccinated is over. C19 drama has so far been playing at low level in the 22/23 cold and flu season. Although, this year and the next is when we're going to hear more about those who had adverse side effects. And looking back now that the dust has settled, is when mistakes are going to be brought to light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think anyone who's had adverse side effects from the C19 vaccine should post about on social media, so that people know what's going on. If only a tiny minority have had adverse side effects, then there's not going to be many to hear from. Then again, it looks like just one person talking about it publicly caused a lot of tantrum throwing.
"Just one person" who is one of the richest, most famous people in the world.

As for deaths there are normally 2.5 million deaths per year in the US, and the majority of those deaths are basically due to old age. And the vast majority of those who died while infected with C19 were elderly. Which seems it's a good possibility that there's more correlation than causation involved.
Again, we're talking about an app that you self-report on. So that means that the relatives of these people must've thought that there may be some connection, so they reported it via the app. Any links to be made are to be made by those analyzing the cases and the data at the CDC. The problem is the people who are making connections that are not being backed up by scientific research and analysis.

However all of this is pretty much moot. The mask routine is over.
What do you mean "the mask routine"? Government mandates appear to be receding or mostly over, but there are plenty of public facing businesses and such that still enforce them, most sensibly places like medical clinics, hospitals, and so on.

The rush to get people vaccinated is over.
Is it? I seem to recall from the links I posted earlier that something like only 15% of the U.S. population has received a booster to deal with more recent variants.

C19 drama has so far been playing at low level in the 22/23 cold and flu season. Although, this year and the next is when we're going to hear more about those who had adverse side effects. And looking back now that the dust has settled, is when mistakes are going to be brought to light.
I don't doubt it, but that's not a reason to cast doubt upon the entire project of public vaccination. The attitude that many people who are vaccine skeptics seem to put out there is akin to saying that if there's any risk at all, you'd be better off abstaining, but as the figures I linked to earlier show, that is not even remotely the case.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Musk sells rockets to NASA because what he builds costs a lot less than what NASA was building. Rocket science may not impress you but a lot of people are impressed with what Musk has accomplished. You may want to note that these rockets are bigger than the statue of liberty.
View attachment 327007

None of this makes him a medical doctor or otherwise a source to be listened to on vaccination safety or side-effects.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟580,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Just one person" who is one of the richest, most famous people in the world.

Again, we're talking about an app that you self-report on. So that means that the relatives of these people must've thought that there may be some connection, so they reported it via the app. Any links to be made are to be made by those analyzing the cases and the data at the CDC. The problem is the people who are making connections that are not being backed up by scientific research and analysis.

What do you mean "the mask routine"? Government mandates appear to be receding or mostly over, but there are plenty of public facing businesses and such that still enforce them, most sensibly places like medical clinics, hospitals, and so on.

Is it? I seem to recall from the links I posted earlier that something like only 15% of the U.S. population has received a booster to deal with more recent variants.

I don't doubt it, but that's not a reason to cast doubt upon the entire project of public vaccination. The attitude that many people who are vaccine skeptics seem to put out there is akin to saying that if there's any risk at all, you'd be better off abstaining, but as the figures I linked to earlier show, that is not even remotely the case.
Alright well enjoy what's left of the hoopla while it lasts.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,746,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread is closed for review.

Edit- as this thread degenerated into nonsense that was removed from view, and likely will again, the thread will stay closed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.